Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David LaChapelle in Dublin

• 12-09-2009 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

David LaChapelle’s “American Jesus” photographic exhibition at the Sebastian Guinness Gallery in Dublin, Ireland.

Showing from Sept. 19 to Oct. 31

davidlachapelleinvite2-500x344.jpg

Courtney_Love_Pieta-500x639.jpg

JESUS-IS-MY-HOMEBOY-DAVID-LACHAPELLE.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Cool - I saw an exhibition of his in Berlin (Helmut Newton's gallery) a couple of years ago. Some very interesting stuff, and that Courtney Love image made me burst out laughing (especially as we had a picture of the 'Pieta' in our house when I was a child!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

over rated

over budget

not actually so original

success by association, (thanks Andy!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Barname wrote: »
    over rated

over budget

not actually so original

success by association, (thanks Andy!)

haha jealous much??

i CANT WAIT. hes doing a workshop on friday...will be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I don't get the images. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 insideout

I Cannot wait! David Lachapelle in Dublin! Finally Ireland is getting some big Artists in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just had a look at some of his stuff and I'd have to say... meh. It does nothing for me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Charley Horse

The opening is on Thursday, is anyone heading along to it, do you know if its invite only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 doniemac

Vulgar. Ugly. Meaningless. Celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

doniemac wrote: »

Meaningless? How so? He is making a big statement about the Catholic church and greed. You might not like the meaning, but it's there.

And there were no celebrities used in his images, just models. Even the Michael Jackson photo was a look a like.

pft!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Dr.Louis wrote: »
    Meaningless? How so? He is making a big statement about the Catholic church and greed. You might not like the meaning, but it's there.

And there were no celebrities used in his images, just models. Even the Michael Jackson photo was a look a like.

pft!...

What about your wan' Cox ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

doniemac wrote: »

Donie, I'm interested in where you are coming from on this. Art may be meant to challenge and provoke and judging by your assessment above it appears that it has evoked a reaction.

Can I enquire if you attended the launch and listened to him or was it just that you walked through the exhibition?

Personally, I was a little meh about it initially but his story is wonderful, his take on art is informative, and subsequently viewing his work can yield immense personal perspective. This is one of the aspects of what he discussed at the launch that art would be something to everyone which I think is why he wouldn't be overly upset at your assessment. Its your view and valid in that context.

Since the opening I have revisited the chaps work and with a bit more understanding I very much enjoy his creations and see lots in them which I would have been blinded to previously. I think he has played a significant role in terms of modern art creation. If you don't like the subject matter that's fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wasnt it recorded??? i would love to get that talk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

wasnt it recorded??? i would love to get that talk...

Darragh (community manager) did record it and an interview and was working on having it available for viewing. I'll drop him a PM.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Darragh (community manager) did record it and an interview and was working on having it available for viewing. I'll drop him a PM.

RAPID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Has this been extended ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dr.Louis wrote: »

pft!...

There's loads of celebrities in his images, in fact I'm fairly sure he has one of the biggest A-list collection of all photographers! Sure that's Courtney Love in the one on this page itself!

Was at this anyway and had a blast, really inspiring (but also deflating for other obvious reasons) and very entertaining.

I believe Darragh has had more important things on his plate as of late, such as interviewing Dustin The Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Finally (sorry, sorry) but FINALLY Live!!

Advertisement