Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thrifty Car Rental

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

This is a small issue for consumers but I'd imagine a big money spinner for the rental firm. I rented a car from Thrifty at Dublin Airport two weeks ago, after getting brought to Swords to get the car (Thrifty don't have parking at the airport, which is misleading to advertise as airport location, but thats another rant for another day) I was advised if I used the M50 to not pay for the toll as Thrifty charge for these automatically.

I asked how much the toll was and was told by two different members of staff that it was €3. I used the M50 twice and dropped the car back. On getting my credit card receipt I see I have been charged €4.50 for each toll. I called their customer service team and was told this 50% increase is to cover admin fees. When I explained that I was told the fee was €3 I was told to email customer service, I'm not expecting a reply.

This seems to be a very unfair admin charge as I have no option but to pay it if I use the M50. I know its only a small amountof money but it must add up to a considerable amount for a rental firm. This is more of a heads up/rant than advice needed, but if anyone knows if its legal to add a fee to a compulsory charge then please let me know.

Advertisement