Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian sisal rope to build a cat tree

• 12-09-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but I am looking to buy a brazilian sisal rope in order to build a big cat tree for my kitty. I am unable to find out where I can buy it in Dublin.
    If you have any idea please let me know, even if it is somewhere else in ireland.
    I am looking for 100 to 150 feet of 3/4 inch brazilian sisal rope. I mentioned brazilian because this is what is recommended by cats experts to build my cat tree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

sorry I can't help you but I'm just curious as to what a cat tree is....although the answer could be in the name:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Big thing with different levels and scratchy poles, they can be small or go from floor to ceiling.
    http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_trees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

You can get sisal in a good camping shop or even the scout shop on liffey street as the scouts use in for pioneering projects. Not sure if its brazillian or not but its the same colour as whet you normally see on a cat post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sisal shreds and feathers and they can chew chunks of it and it goes bloody EVERYWHERE. Try wrapping the posts in carpet instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I just got a really nice cat tree at a bargain price. Supermarket beginning with a T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ziggy23 wrote: »
    sorry I can't help you but I'm just curious as to what a cat tree is....although the answer could be in the name:o
    They're things cat owners buy at great expense for their cats which they then proceed to promptly ignore in preference for curtains, wallpaper, furniture, and occasionally their owners' body parts, and which consequently end up gathering dust in the corner for years before being eventually thrown out :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

I bought a cat tree a few months ago from ebay. One of those floor to ceiling types. My bengal loves it, but its become weak and just two nights ago the kitten managed to pull it down and a lot of it broke. Im going to end up making my own and using the sisal rope from it. I have no idea how to make one, but it shouldnt be too hard really. Just need to get some wood and knock it together.

This is what it looked like when I first got it in July this year. Didnt last very long did it.

catbox.jpg
    boxopened.jpg
    partseverywhere.jpg
    gettingthere.jpg
    almostcompleted.jpg
    dexintree.jpg
    firstgoontree.jpg
    dexmeowing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

We got a tree from zooplus over a year ago and it's still going strong despite repeated abuse from all four of our furbabies.

The one we got has really thick posts and several platforms and sleeping areas, is about 7ft tall and is a corner tree so it fits perfectly in the living room by the window so they can look out on the lovely Irish weather.
    It arrived in two massive boxes and took myself and OH about two hours to put together but it's as solid as a rock. We do tighten it up occasionally - just in case - but it's been subjected to regular wacky races, numerous racing/chasing games, scraps and assorted other abuse and is still going strong. And two of our cats are absolutely huge and weigh a ton.
    It wasn't cheap at over 150 Euro but it was so worth it and I'd highly recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Do you have any photos of it MAry, or a link to the exact tree?

Id never heard of that company, so thanks for pointing it out to me! They have loads of trees, and many, if not most, look like they have the same kind of construction. Look good, feel good, but as soon as they are stressed for a period of time, they become loose and ultimately fail. I paid about 95euros for it including postage from the UK, so it was cheap, but I honestly dont think the parts would cost that much as there is no real wood in them anywhere. Cardboard, couple of plastic bits, pressed wood covered in cheap faux fur and a few bolts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

This is the only link I can find online as they don't appear to have it on the .ie site but with zooplus, you're as well off searching all their sites for the cheapest offers since postage is free if you spend over a certain amount.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/customer_favourites/large/138487

I have some pics at home and will try and upload them after work to give you an idea what it looks like in the flesh. It's made of cardboard, a few bits of wood and metal bolts too but I think that because the posts are really thick and it's of a tripod construction, it seems to be easily able to withstand all the abuse without falling apart.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement