Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Politics

• 12-09-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for information on this course. Is it very difficult and like very deep thinking sort of stuff? Are the lecturers good? What are career pospects like? I'm thinking of doing it with media studies. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm not a politics student myself, but I've heard it's straightforward enough. Not that 'lite' though if you were hoping to skimp through it. You need anthropology or music for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Im thinkin of doing politics as one of my arts subjects as i am foing law and arts. Sounds like it will be an interesting subject, with plenty of scope which will help me with law. All the info i have on it i took from the prospectus and the maynooth website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

As far as I know politics is not an arts subject. You have to have chosen a politics degree and then put 2 arts subjects with it. I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I don't remember being able to pick it back in the day.

Might be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

for law and arts you can pick politics as an arts subject in place of one of the group 4 arts subjects. so i can choose it as part of my course, but you can not choose it if you are doing a normal arts degree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Bit of a late bump. I did Politics for first year, it is interesting, but I found it made my interest in politics too academic, so I'm doing my other two subjects for 2nd and 3rd year. (Comp Science & Philosophy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Jakkass wrote: »
    Bit of a late bump. I did Politics for first year, it is interesting, but I found it made my interest in politics too academic, so I'm doing my other two subjects for 2nd and 3rd year. (Comp Science & Philosophy)
    What a combo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

yup, u can do politics as a arts subject this year...its probably cuz the classes were getting to small!!! there are only 12 people in the politics class in third year?! its a good subject but it involves a lot of sociology....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

sunflowerz wrote: »
    its a good subject but it involves a lot of sociology....
    Could someone explain what sociology is as it keeps appearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Politics does not have it's own department, it falls under the Department of Sociology. As a result many of the lecturers are sociology lecturers who are effectively teaching politics. It's a relatively interesting course all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

sociology is the study of society

Advertisement