Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heartbreaking Situation

Options
  • 12-09-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

There's something that's been really bothering me since I moved to Galway and I'm wondering if you guys can shed some light on it for me.
    Instead of writing it out again I'll just cut n paste an email I've sent to TD Michael D. Higgins...

Dear Michael,

My name is Beetlebum and I'm 28 years old. Originally from Dublin I
    moved to Galway in January. Since I've been living here I've noticed
    a young man wandering the streets aimlessly seemingly talking to
    voices inside his head. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this guy,
    he
    looks about 25 years of age and I'd hazard a guess he's Spanish. He
    appears to be suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

I'm not a Social or Care Worker but I have some experience with mental
    health issues as my Dad suffers from manic depression and has
    spent many a spell in both St.Ethas and St.Pats I'm sure Social
    Services are aware of this guy and his situation but I'd like to know
    for
    certain that he his receiving help and people aren't just turning a
    blind eye on him.

I know mental health problems are notoriously difficult to assess and
    treatment is often futile but anything is worth a shot. This guy
    doesn't seem to
    be dangerous in any capacity but everytime I see him it breaks my
    heart. He is a young man who's life seems to consist of wandering the
    streets of
    Galway having conversations with people who are not there. Maybe he's
    perfectly content with doing so but I doubt it.

I'd like to know where he sleeps, what he eats, who washes his clothes?

I'd really appreciate if you could reply to me and help me figure
    something out. I know I can't do much but even knowing someone's
    keeping an eye onhim
    would really ease my mind.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Beetlebum wrote: »

1. Go up to him.
    2. Start conversation.
    3. Work your questions in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This guy has come up in many threads over the last while, and though his behaviour is eccentric, and he may (or may not) be suffering from mental illness. The general consensus, is that he is not unhealthy or ill looking, and he is not dirty and beat up like some of the homeless we have in the city.

Any conversations I have had with him, albeit brief, have pointed to an intelligent and polite man of French/Spanish/Italian descent who probably overdid it on the partying (booze and drugs) and is fried afterwards.

Also, I have seen many people giving him money over the last few months, so I can say for sure, that the populace of Galway are not turning a blind eye to this gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm still convinced he's got a wireless headset in his ear or something and he's actually talking to someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

he's irish and has mental issues, which the Probation Services attempted to deal with as he's no stranger to the courts. He refuses help.. Edit: sorry, just re read the OP, must be a different guy im thinkin of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Since I've been living here I've noticed
    voices inside his head.

I dunno, I never thought he was wandering "aimlessly", he always seems to know exactly where he's going.

I wander Galway city from time to time, it may seem like i'm wandering aimlessly to the passer-by but in fact i'm simply noting, acknowledging, examining what's around me trying my best to get a different perspective on what I see - rather than simply walking from A-B like a zombie (which I also do) oblivious to the subtle changes happening to the city [well, all of what combined makes this city].

Beetlebum, have you talked to this fellow before sending your email? I mean your opinion, from what I can tell, is based on very limited interaction/observation and could easily be so far far far off the mark that you could end up causing this guy a lot of unrequired hassle. I understand that due to your own experiences you may easily see similarities and thus draw conclusions that are hard to dispel so I can see why you'd be concerned. To be honest though, if I was worried about his well being I'd have to be absolutely sure there is a reason to be concerned in the first place before doing anything official.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    Beetlebum, have you talked to this fellow before sending your email? I mean your opinion, from what I can tell, is based on very limited interaction/observation and could easily be so far far far off the mark that you could end up causing this guy a lot of unrequired hassle. I understand that due to your own experiences you may easily see similarities and thus draw conclusions that are hard to dispel so I can see why you'd be concerned. To be honest though, if I was worried about his well being I'd have to be absolutely sure there is a reason to be concerned in the first place before doing anything official.

In other words, Acquire more info or GTFO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

beetlebum..
    i cant shed any light on this sad situation for you, but you have restored my faith in humanity!! your kindness and sympathy is heart warming,
    i hope something can be done for this young man, and for you beetlebum thank you!!:) for being someone kind enough to care well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hi Guys,

There's something that's been really bothering me since I moved to Galway and I'm wondering if you guys can shed some light on it for me.
    Instead of writing it out again I'll just cut n paste an email I've sent to TD Michael D. Higgins...

Dear Michael,

My name is Beetlebum and I'm 28 years old. Originally from Dublin I
    moved to Galway in January. Since I've been living here I've noticed
    voices inside his head. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this guy,
    he
    looks about 25 years of age and I'd hazard a guess he's Spanish. He
    appears to be suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

I'm not a Social or Care Worker but I have some experience with mental
    health issues as my Dad suffers from manic depression and has
    spent many a spell in both St.Ethas and St.Pats I'm sure Social
    Services are aware of this guy and his situation but I'd like to know
    for
    certain that he his receiving help and people aren't just turning a
    blind eye on him.

I know mental health problems are notoriously difficult to assess and
    treatment is often futile but anything is worth a shot. This guy
    doesn't seem to
    be dangerous in any capacity but everytime I see him it breaks my
    heart. He is a young man who's life seems to consist of wandering the
    streets of
    Galway having conversations with people who are not there. Maybe he's
    perfectly content with doing so but I doubt it.

I'd really appreciate if you could reply to me and help me figure
    something out. I know I can't do much but even knowing someone's
    keeping an eye onhim
    would really ease my mind.

Thank you

What is this nonsense! you have decided that this man has a mental illness and needs help. Did it ever occur to you that he maybe suffering from torrets or some other disability.
    Wtf is it your business whether or not this man is talking to himself, looks different or doesnt conform to your standards.
    I have seen this guy around, seems eccentric but doesnt look or act like he is crazy, something you clearly have decided for him.

"I'd like to know where he sleeps, what he eats, who washes his clothes?"
    "He is a young man who's life seems to consist of wandering the streets"
    "but I'd like to know for certain that he his receiving help"

you have assumed all that from seeing him on the street. Me thinks you are the one with the problem
    a problem with prejudices and judgements

And then you have the cheek to feel sorry for him! how dare you! The last think people with mental health issues
    ned is your sympathy, and thats even if he has an issue.
    I suggest you mind your business and keep your observations and judgements on people to yourself.

For shame

OP, no need to worry.. that man your worried about posts on boards under the name "skelliser". he's in good hands with us. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

lol! maybe i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

skelliser wrote: »
    What is this nonsense! you have decided that this man has a mental illness and needs help. Did it ever occur to you that he maybe suffering from torrets or some other disability.
    Wtf is it your business whether or not this man is talking to himself, looks different or doesnt conform to your standards.
    I have seen this guy around, seems eccentric but doesnt look or act like he is crazy, something you clearly have decided for him.

you have assumed all that from seeing him on the street. Me thinks you are the one with the problem

And then you have the cheek to feel sorry for him! how dare you! The last think people with mental health issues
    I suggest you mind your business and keep your observations and judgements on people to yourself.

For shame

Thats a bit strong, however I do agree with you. Have you tried to talk to him and help him? If no, emailing councilors/TDs etc over things like this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

For shame

Bit harsh of you, no need for that.

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty and I'm not judging him.
    I have approached him and asked him if he's okay but he just mumbled and continued on his way.

If he's happy enough then good for him. I just find it very sad. I see him every morning on my way to work and he just seems very scattered and mentally unstable.

I'd like to think if I was in that kind of state (again not judging so don't bite my head off!) that somebody would try and help me or at least make sure I was okay by myself.

Sorry I said anything now, just thought someboy from Galway may know him. If I was told he's grand just did one too many acid then fair enough..

Sigh, don't know waht else to say so I'll just forget about it:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Did it ever occur to you that he maybe suffering from torrets.

Not any more, now that the pirate bay has shut down. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

did one too many acid then fair enough..

So if it was Acid that did it to him you wouldn't care?

jenno86 wrote: »
    So if it was Acid that did it to him you wouldn't care?

Well in Beetlebum's defense, there is a difference in self afflicted mental illnesses and naturally occuring ones.

But the original theory, and I use that term loosely, is that he tripped too many balls and is burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Professional ethics prevent the staff of any of the city's mental health or homeless services from commenting here, so the only one who can definitively address your worries is the man himself and tbh, I haven't seen him in too many internet cafes.

But there are a significant number of such services in Galway, and I think you can safely assume he is receiving social care from somewhere.

While your concern is touching, I'm more inclined to agree with the poster who thinks it's not your business: Galway of all places is somewhere people don't have to conform, and one of our strengths as a city is that we welcome those who don't/can't/whatever. If you want to help, either get a social-care qualification and a job with an agency, or get involved with fundraising for one of the agencies.

(FWIW, there are people in the city who worry me far more than this man does ... not gonna describe them here, but he's far from the saddest character around.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I have often wondered about the guy. Three weeks ago, he was ahead of me in a Q to get a take away coffee. I guess he is Spanish. He was polite, paid for his coffee and left.

Maybe we are all crazy and he is sane.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sigh, don't know waht else to say so I'll just forget about it:/

You had better not! You've emailed Michael D Higgins about this guy, expressing your concern that mentally he is not quite all there, if, on a whim, you suddenly say to hell with it all....well....I'd like to hope a bit of bad "karma" comes your way.

All right sorry, your sudden change of attitude has more than pissed me off and I hope you didn't really mean what you've said, because i'm interpreting it as:

"I think this guy isn't mentally sound, I'd like someone to deal with him who isn't me"

ErnieBert wrote: »
    He was polite, paid for his coffee and left.

QFT!

I mean, if he was running around town, attacking people and eating pigeons and the like, then yes, there would be an active reason to have a great deal of concern.

The guy is eccentric, yes. But he is actually socially normal. Which is a huge factor in whether one should 'pity' him.

I don't... I always nod and smile when I pass him. He might ignore me, he might make a peeping noise in my general direction, but at the end of the day he's sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

God, calm down people.The OP did what he did out of compassion and based on his own experience of seeing someone close to him suffer a serious mental illness. Feeling compassion/empathy for someone is not about judging them or pitying them or trying to force them to conform. For the most part wandering the streets talking to oneself is not a lifestyle choice. It's usually the result of some sort of illness or mental breakdown.

The worst that can probably come out of the OPs actions are that someone might sensitively have a few words with the guy and he might come to the attention of someone who can help him if he needs it or leave him be if he doesn't. In general the health services are not known for dragging people in off the streets to fill beds in psych. hospitals or following them around insisting they conform to societies norms for the comfort of others.

Maybe the world might be a better place if people made some effort to help someone they think is in difficulty. If they don't want the help offered they can always refuse it.The onslauhgt of abuse the OP has recieved here is ridiculous. Next time you hear some tragic story and think "why did no one do anything to help?" I think you might find your answer in this thread.

Oh and OP I think the moral of the story here is not "Do nothing if you think someone is in trouble". It's "Don't post on boards.ie about it".

• Advertisement

chilly wrote: »
    God, calm down people.The OP did what he did out of compassion and based on his own experience of seeing someone close to him suffer a serious mental illness. Feeling compassion/empathy for someone is not about judging them or pitying them or trying to force them to conform. For the most part wandering the streets talking to oneself is not a lifestyle choice. It's usually the result of some sort of illness or mental breakdown.

The worst that can probably come out of the OPs actions are that someone might sensitively have a few words with the guy and he might come to the attention of someone who can help him if he needs it or leave him be if he doesn't. In general the health services are not known for dragging people in off the streets to fill beds in psych. hospitals or following them around insisting they conform to societies norms for the comfort of others.

Maybe the world might be a better place if people made some effort to help someone they think is in difficulty. If they don't want the help offered they can always refuse it.The onslauhgt of abuse the OP has recieved here is ridiculous. Next time you hear some tragic story and think "why did no one do anything to help?" I think you might find your answer in this thread.

Oh and OP I think the moral of the story here is not "Do nothing if you think someone is in trouble". It's "Don't post on boards.ie about it".

It's all well and good helping someone that needs help but a line has to the drawn.

Personally i'm no ''crack pot'' but i talk to myself in my head when i'm alone(as im sure most other people do, not actual back in forth convo's but you get the point), all this fella seems to do, is speak what he's thinking, the only difference seems to be that he has no problem speaking aloud and orchestrating the body language to go with it.

Having compassion for your fellow beings is a nice touch but it has to handled with care, writing letters to your local TD because somebody speaks aloud is a tad OTT, if i was going to write to my local TD, i could think of at least 50 other topics that require highlighting first.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

For shame

Are you him??!!

Okay... this thread is going nowhere.

IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Agreed
    Well done OP for caring

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement