Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMPETITION CLOSED: Win a family pass to International Puppet Festival show

Options
  • 12-09-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello there boys and girls (said in best Bosco voice)

The lovely people at Ireland's 16th International Puppet Festival have been in touch to offer a great prize to you all.

header.jpg

It's a family pass (two adults and two children) to the Punch and Judy show Don Cristobal at the Lambert Theatre, Monkstown, Dublin on Saturday 19 September at 3:30pm.

Don Cristobal is being performed by Paz Tatay, widely regarded as one of the best traditional ‘Punch’ performers currently touring. This show features the same ’slapstick’ comedy and fast-paced cartoon-like action known and loved by countless generations and is a must if your children have never seen a live puppet show before.

All you have to do to be in with a chance is tell us who your favourite puppet is and why.

We'll pick the winner on Thursday 17 Wednesday 16 September. Terms and conditions simply that Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No cash alternative or travel expenses are available. Please don't enter if you can't avail of the prize!

Now in its 16th year of festival, the International Puppet Festival is again bringing up to ten of the world's best puppet productions to visit Dun Laoghaire for this prestigious festival. This year’s festival features ventriloquism, circus, cabaret and slapstick… something for all ages to enjoy.

On the line up this year are award winning comic and ventriloquist Nina Conti, the Circus Cabaret of Armando Risotto from Spain, the Circus on Strings by Viktor Antonov from Russia, the Karromatio Wooden Circus from the Czech Republic and more. You can download the programme in PDF format here.

Events take place in the Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoighre, The Mill Theatre, Dundrum and the Lambert Puppet Theatre, Monkstown. Ticket prices range from €10/€12 for the family shown up to just €21 for the premium shows. You can find out more at http://www.puppetfest.ie or follow them on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/puppetfest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

we tell you our favourite puppet on this thread yes?

Well, any way, i have to pick :
    Zigmund Ambrose Zogly and Zagnatius Hillery Zogly or, as theyre more better known, Zig and Zag.

0001d7f110dr.jpg

The best thing on Irish airwaves in years!

I remember seeing this video dozens of times as a kid.
    Of course, alot of the jokes went over my head, but they were colorful and loud and clever and kept me entertained for hours on end.

Even now, after finding the above youtube, im giggling and smiling and have that childlike happiness about me due to these two aliens.

Who from our generation can forget the constant attacks from Ted, how cute Zuppy the puppy was or how freaking creepy Podge was in the Halloween specials.
    No one does Halloween specials as good, especially not here in Ireland.

Zig and Zag were what was great about being a late 80s to mid 90s kid.
    They weren't overly patronising and pc like Socky or (eventually) Dustin.
    They didnt fill our screens with messages of goodwill and community, they entertained us and made us laugh at the most random things.

And let me tell you one thing, cucumber and custard sammiches or bananna bookmarks?
    Freaking delicious :P

Zig and Zag were at their height until the mid 90s.
    I wasnt as big a fan of their other endeavours, but i have to say, even their weakest shows brought a small smile.

and lets not forget-
    velcro%20girl.sflb

Velcrooooo Girrrrlll! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 radtjack

Hey, my favorite puppet was Miss Piggy, she was great fun and above all, my first romantic and sexy reference! (at the time, thanks God lol)

Quote: "Only time can heal your broken heart just as only time can heal his arms and legs” :p

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

as stated in the first post:
    Darragh wrote:
    We'll pick the winner on Thursday 17 September. Terms and conditions simply that Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No cash alternative or travel expenses are available. Please don't enter if you can't avail of the prize!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

pinnochio

For surviving an attempted mutilation by his creator e he has a soft little voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Can I have two? The Cookie Monster and the Swedish Chef! Because they share so intensely the same great passion, food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have to withdraw my entry. I just noticed that there are two days between announcing the winner and the performace and I would need more notice. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Got to be Duckhead duck. Classic documentary on a beloved fast food chain.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/758806/a_crazy_puppet_ordering_mcdonalds_drive_through_meal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

The evil Postman Patrick on Zig and Zag,anyone rember him??

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Bosco, Of course.
    Thats what I was nicked named in school. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Would love to enter this comp.

My fav puppet has got to be Dustin. I mean how many puppets have represented their country at the eurovision. He also started his own party "fianna fowl" and im sure some people would happily swap him for our present taoiseach. But above all else he has the ability to go off the radar close to the christmas culling season. Super stuff altogether and a worthy winner :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oscar the Grouch

nuff said - best puppet ever. Why? Loved him as a kid - grumpy but friends to everyone at the same time. And he had everything you could possibly want in his trash can. When I was a kid I wanted to move to grouchland.

195857838_5141b8c086.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

It's got to be POB. I learned to spell my first word from him. I also learned that you could draw on windows if you sprayed them in spit, and i drove my parents nuts doing it all over the house!

beckham-pob.0.0.0x0.340x480.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Macros42 wrote: »
    Oscar the Grouch

nuff said - best puppet ever. Why? Loved him as a kid - grumpy but friends to everyone at the same time. And he had everything you could possibly want in his trash can. When I was a kid I wanted to move to grouchland.

Me too but the one puppet which was real to me growing up and had real personality and sparkle was Basil Brush.

portal-graphics-20_1158353a.jpg

BOOM BOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey folks

I'm changing the closing date of this competition from tomorrow to today to make sure people can get plans in place to go. I hope that's okay with you all.

Thanks

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Not too famous a puppet but I always liked the busker on grafton street. He usually plays french music and has a querky style to it.
    No picture to post I'm afraid :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Going oldschool on this one.

But Judge from Wanderly Wagon has to be my favourite.Had the kids watching the Dvd only last week and they cant turn the thing off.

And the other reason--He sounds like your man Vincent Browne off Tv3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Its got to be Kermit the frog. When I impersonate him for my 4 year old he laughs his head off and in turn so do I. I have my son every Friday to Sunday so this would be a nice trip up the country for us this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Its got to be animal from the muppets love that crazy guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cEPydnb0Ns

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

I love the pg tips monkey its a character that deserves its own limelight rather than share the spotlight with mr vegas.

my niece loves the lifesize puppet i got her for christmas and even has him talk to her.

he has a good following on youtube with various vids doing the rounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKy-08GyQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhEIJZogQAI
    tks

neonitrix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 asiwassayin

- my favourite puppet is SWEEP - from sooty and sweep fame. An anarchist with style is how I would describe him!!

win or loose, hope to bring my six and two girls to the festival - good luck!!

db

And the winner is ...... :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    And the winner is ...... :)

>_>

Oh I didn't mean it was me - I was prompting Darragh in case he'd forgotten us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hadn't forgotten, I swear! Was on my way over when Nerin dropped by to say "Oh HAI!!" or words to that effect.

So the winner, chosen completely at random is

Hellrazer

Congratulations!

We'll have more competitions for families soon - very soon in fact! Stay tuned ;-)

Darragh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just thought Id say a big thanks to Darragh and the people at the puppetfest.

Jut arrived back and I have to say my lot (and mr and mrs hellrazer) had a ball.

I was expecting the whole "thats the way to do it" punch and judy show but this one was done more in the way of an hour long story.

My 2.5 year old and 7 year old couldnt stop laughing for the hour it was on but the 1.5 year olds attention span wasnt long enough to keep her quiet for the whole lot.My 11 eleven year old "pretended" it was too babyish for her but I know she did enjoy it.

So anyone that can make it over the weekend Id recommend it completely.

Again thanks to Boards.ie for the tix.

Richie.

Advertisement