Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC

Options
  • 12-09-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Ok so story is i have been seeing my fella for past 7years. We were never careful, well maybe at the start but got more and more careless over time. So in short we have not used contraception inabout 5-6 years.

I never got pregnant. Anyhow in february i started to worry that maybe something might be wrong so i started doing the ovulation kits and never seem to be ovulating. I went to the doc and explained this to him. From feb until august i did the body temperature every morning. Again no rise in temp every month. I have my period every month, anything from 31 days to 44 days apart but every month all the same.

Had my bloods done, hormones and thyroid, came back clear.

Sent for pelvic scan and again all clear.
    So whilst im delighted that they came back clear im at a loss as to why i have never got pregnant and as to whether i ever will.

What is the next step for checking if i am fertile as my doc just said it was a long road ahead of me but didnt go into detail as to what i should expect next in terms of tests etc.

Oh im 29 and he is 35 by the way. Im 5"2 and slightly overweight at 9 stone 12 about . HAve lost a stone about a year ago as i was told losing 5% body weight could kick start ovulation.

Is there anything i should be doing. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Has your partner got checked out yet? It may be a combined issue (you not always ovulating and him having spemr issues). Giving a sperm sample is easy and non-invasive, and should definitely be the next step.

Assuming you did the temping correctly, there does seem to be an issue with you ovulating, especially considering your periods are somewhat irregular (and having a period does not mean you ovulate). There are various methods of ovulation induction, and if you have been having sex regularly for 5 years and nothing has been happening, it is time for your GP to refer you (both!) to a fertility clinic, especially as you'll be waiting several months- a year for an appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here.

Thanks for reply ladies.

I had another appointment with my gp on Monday and he has prescribed Clomid 50mg to take on day 5 of my period for 5 days. My query now is my period only lasts approx 3-4 days max. So should i take it on last day of that or take it day 5 when my period is over.

My partner has not been checked yet but thats the next step the gp informed me. Hopefully we wont even need to do that. Maybe the Clomid will be enough :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You should check with your GP about when to start taking the clomid, I'm sure a phone call to the surgery would be enough.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

I would seriously consider getting your partner to go for a sperm test. It's not a major thing to do (I have had to do 2 recently) and to be honest, I'd rather rule that out before starting on treatments/drugs etc.

It's more than likely he's ok - but why not rule that out straight away?

(I've been to the Rotunda and Clane - I think you'd get a quicker appointment at Clane)

Oh - and good luck either way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gossipgirl24

Hi I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting . Warning TMI .. I'm day 24 my cycle is around 34 days at the minute I have pcos and we are trying for #2 . Today I noticed while wiping that I have alot of cervical mucus. Could this mean I'm ovulating ? Would it be late in cycle to ovulate ? The last few days my boobs have been heavier , my skin has broken out etc. Would love your opinions. Thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Join something like fertility friend and start charting your cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gossipgirl24

Sorry me again. Do u count day 1 as the first day of proper full flow? The reason I ask is 2 days before full flow I had spotting. So I'm not sure if I'm day 27 or day 29 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

First day of full flow.

Advertisement