Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied 2 days holidays and about to leave the job...

Options
  • 12-09-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently preparing to leave my current job, giving them more than the specified notice period however there is one slight problem. I submitted a time off request for 2 days, in about 2 weeks time which were denied as the company does not have enough staff or available hours to give me.

This isn't an option for me as I NEED to take the days off and is a no brainer, so I'm going to have to call in sick, despite them knowing that I am pulling the wool over their eyes. What I'm wondering is, should I hand in my notice, before or after this little hiccup and will there be any issues in doing so (bearing in mind I've never had any issues with work during my 4 years there).

Any advice is appreciated folks!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It all depends on past record and how much you need a good reference from them in the next job, if you are going to a next job.
    A one-off 2 day miss in 4 years would not be regarded as a major fault in my opinion but if it happens after a lot of absences and their reference is needed in the next job I'd hold off.
    If, however your sector is part of a large, impersonal, community you may get away with the 2 days off depending on what it is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Could you ask someone to swap days off or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP did you hand in your notice or holiday request first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Holidays, whilst the entitlement is statutory, are at your employer's discretion. You may only have them when your employer agrees. You are at their mercy if you apply for leave, are refused and then take the days regardless.

Dr Diablo wrote: »

This isn't an option for me as I NEED to take the days off

Who is paying your wages? Why is there this "My employer owes me attitude"? You may very well NEED the days (expecting a bereavement?), but is you can forecast them, two weeks in advance no less, chances are they are for leisure, therefore you do not NEED them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Who is paying your wages? Why is there this "My employer owes me attitude"? You may very well NEED the days (expecting a bereavement?), but is you can forecast them, two weeks in advance no less, chances are they are for leisure, therefore you do not NEED them.
    A little presumptuous no? There are plenty of reasons other than leisure for needing time off work.

A little presumptuous no? There are plenty of reasons other than leisure for needing time off work.

Agreed. But two weeks in advance????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Maybe the OP need the time off for medical reasons (yes procedured and operations are planned in advanced). Maybe the OP has to appear in court. Maybe the person need to find accommodation. Maybe they need to travel to the new company to sign contracts.

There are a lot of different reasons why OP might need time off.

I would suggest asking other staff to swap days if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would hand in the notice first.

If you do it afterwards, some manager might try to start disciplinary procedures 'cos you called in sick when you weren't, and then be prickly about accepting your resignation. If you do it before, they're unlikely to bother.

Either way, they won't like you very much for doing it, but you just have to make sure that someone likes you enough to be a referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I went ahead and took my 2 "sick" days. Nothing can be done now. They weren't happy. I wasn't happy about doing it but they left me with no other option. I still get a good reference out of it, which is the main thing.

It's all good so I just have to work my remaining few weeks.

Cheers for the advice people!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement