Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Amazing images!

Is that gash on the top right-hand edge of Charon a picture artifact or real?

If it's real, it's pretty immense....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Gwynston wrote: »
    Amazing images!

Is that gash on the top right-hand edge of Charon a picture artifact or real?

If it's real, it's pretty immense....

Yea, it's real, 6-10Km deep they reckon, theirs another 1 around 5Km deep over at 10 o clock, it's not as obvious.

The highest Res LORRI pics of Charon are due Tomorrow so we should have better pics then.
    The Long-Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) has a field of view of 0.29 degrees and a pixel scale of 4.94 microradians and takes black-and-white ("panchromatic") images.
    Wednesday, July 15 at 10:59 UT / 06:59 ET / 03:59 PT: 1.5hr downlink: First Look A

LORRI Charon at 2.3 km/pix (~520 pixels across disk). Taken 2015-07-14 02:41:49. Range 466,000 km. - The best single-frame photo of Charon that will be available during encounter period

LORRI Pluto at 3.9 km/pix (~615 pixels across disk). Taken 2015-07-13 20:02:43. Range 778,000 km. - Will make a stereo view with the one downlinked in E-Health 1

LORRI Hydra at 3.2 km/pix (~10x18 pixels across disk). Taken 2015-07-13 23:16:11. Range 645,000 km.

Heres a great link of whats left to download before Monday, high priority Images, mostly Moon Pics and a departure pic of Pluto then no new images till Sep14 as they'll be downloading the science stuff for two months.

The Best Hubble image of Pluto (from 2010) morphs to the pre-flyby New Horizons image from 2015.

ui0PQ60.gif

https://twitter.com/NPRskunkbear/status/620957392633790464

Connects to pretty cool little vid in link^^^or click here

The solar system contains dozens of objects that are large enough for self-gravity to make them round, and yet are not considered planets. They include the major moons of the planets, one asteroid, and many worlds in the Kuiper belt. The ones that we have visited with spacecraft are shown here to scale with each other. A couple of items on here are not quite round, illustrating the transition to smaller, lumpier objects.
    20150714_the-not-planets-widescreen-version-2_f840.png

Link to source - bigger image

Stephen Colbert chatting to Neil deGrasse Tyson about Pluto

Thought it was pretty cool all the people they got into the New Horizon HQ for the phone home,
    Among those on hand for Tuesday night's "Phone Home" celebration were the children of late astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, who discovered Pluto in 1930; the daughter of the late astronomer Gerard Kuiper, after whom the Kuiper Belt is named; Jim Christy, the discoverer of Charon, Pluto's largest moon; and a group of 9-year-old children who were born on the day of New Horizons' launch.

And the saddest image of the last week, it'll bring a tear to your eye, scroll down at your peril....

Pluto-passing-cartoon-2.gif

:eek::(

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Those mountains and that terrain! Wow!!!

Pluto looking even more "lumpy"!
    The panel of scientists at the press conference today confirmed that Pluto is lumpy....unfortunately for my theory..... not lumpy enough.
    Charon ....on the other hand, looks as though it has gone several rounds with Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This terrain on Pluto looks very similar to the venting tiger stripes on Enceladus.

Pluto
    index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=36956

Enceladus index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=36953

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

I can't wait to see if there is geological activity of some sort on Pluto and maybe even on Charon.
    Anyway, here's a funny cartoon from the telegraph

160715-MATT-WEB_3377088a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Halfbaker wrote: »
    I can't wait to see if there is geological activity of some sort on Pluto and maybe even on Charon.
    Anyway, here's a funny cartoon from the telegraph

160715-MATT-WEB_3377088a.jpg

There must be some activity now or in the recent geological past. The lack of craters, unusual terrain, vast mountains and other features must be as a result of an active world.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SarahBM wrote: »
    That's no moon! It's a SPACE STATION!!!

Or in the case of Mimas...That's no Sspace station it's a moon!!!

6a00d8341bf7f753ef01287797e135970c-pi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Or in the case of Mimas...That's no Sspace station it's a moon!!!

6a00d8341bf7f753ef01287797e135970c-pi

Looks like it went a few rounds with a rogue asteroid or comet in the distant past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

69b1e1c4ad49d1852c2d82095bae6fd3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

New teaser image out. Looks like they will have some very good resolution images tomorrow for Charon.

CKDlYHzW8AAF077.jpg:large

That hill in a hole looks odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hmmzis wrote: »
    That hill in a hole looks odd.

It looks like it could be the central rebound in a recent impact crater.
    A clearer example can be seen in the Mimas pic.

Or perhaps a very low velocity impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

josip wrote: »
    It looks like it could be the central rebound in a recent impact crater.
    A clearer example can be seen in the Mimas pic.

Or perhaps a very low velocity impact?

Had a good look at all sorts of craters before posting and just couldn't find anything even remotely similar to that. All images and/or models seem to show sharp crater edges. The velocity of the projectile is more related to the size and depth of the excavation and the height of the rebound.

I remember reading somewhere that the average impactor at Pluto's orbit would be slamming into the surface at around 1.4km/sec. While that's not anywhere near what we would normally see in the inner Solar system but it's still a good pace to do some serious damage (and there is plenty of evidence in that new frame of just that, sharp rimmed impact craters).

I for one can't wait to see what explanation the scientists are going to come up with for this particular feature.

In that case I'm going with the 500/1 shot that Charon has a solid icy crust a few hundred metres thick, beneath which there is a liquid ocean. This feature was originally a mountain that got just that little bit too high and the crust gave way until the mass of the mountain could be once again supported by the underground ocean.

Disclaimer: I'm no scientist.
    Actually I am, just not a rocket/interplanetary one.

In that case I'm going with the 500/1 shot that Charon has a solid icy crust a few hundred metres thick, beneath which there is a liquid ocean. This feature was originally a mountain that got just that little bit too high and the crust gave way until the mass of the mountain could be once again supported by the underground ocean.

Disclaimer: I'm no scientist.
    Actually I am, just not a rocket/interplanetary one.

I hope that you're not one of those pretentious lab technicians in the Public Service that have the chutzpah to call themselves scientists?

Nope, according to all the engineers in work, I'm only a scientist because that's the degree I got.
    The engineering lads would be fairly protective of their title.
    Us scientists, sure we'd welcome anyone.
    I once won a prize at the Young Scientists that was presented to me by no less a person than Mike Murphy in case there's any lingering doubt about my credentials :D
    Subsurface liquid ocean I tell youse.

Nope, according to all the engineers in work, I'm only a scientist because that's the degree I got.
    The engineering lads would be fairly protective of their title.
    Us scientists, sure we'd welcome anyone.
    I once won a prize at the Young Scientists that was presented to me by no less a person than Mike Murphy in case there's any lingering doubt about my credentials :D
    Subsurface liquid ocean I tell youse.

I'm betting on new paradigm radioactive decay!
    See you in Stockholm?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I hope that you're not one of those pretentious lab technicians in the Public Service that have the chutzpah to call themselves scientists?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Medical scientists are not technicians. I would be careful who you say that to, if I were you. :D

Charon seems to be stealing Pluto's thunder a little bit :rolleyes:
    But I cannot get over how beautiful the pictures of both Charon and Pluto are. It is awe inspiring that we have the technology to take a picture of a body in our solar system that is 3 billion miles away! I can't wait to see more!

irishgeo wrote: »
    I'd love to know how a tiny probe billions ofmiles away sends a signal to earth using radio and we manage to pick it up.

Anyone got an article that explain how it works.

The RF Telecommunications System for the New Horizons
    Mission to Pluto

Happy Reading.:P

Heres a bit on it's operating system aswell.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Medical scientists are not technicians. I would be careful who you say that to, if I were you. :D

Was there not once (within the health service) a rank or qualification known as lab technician?
    What are they calling themselves these days?

Now... that's what I call a scientist!

Are NASA having another presser today ?

around 1800 Irish time ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    Are NASA having another presser today ?

around 1800 Irish time ?

They are, I don't know what time though.

Was there not once (within the health service) a rank or qualification known as lab technician?
    What are they calling themselves these days?

We are biomedical scientists or medical scientists. And have been for about 20 years.

If I could have been any other type of scientist. I would have been an interplanetary one

We are biomedical scientists or medical scientists. And have been for about 20 years.

If I could have been any other type of scientist. I would have been an interplanetary one

What sort of cutting edge research are you, and your collogues, involved in?

What sort of cutting edge research are you, and your collogues, involved in?

I am currently doing a masters, so I guess thats research but I work full time in a routine hospital lab.
    When I was a teenager I wanted to be an astronomer so much. Didn't have the brains for physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

sorry if it was posted earlier and I missed it

http://i.imgur.com/ZiRD56E.gifv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Is it the same link for the press conference today at 6 ? the nasa one?

• Advertisement

Brian May !!! ????

wtf ...

Advertisement