Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Pluto Surface ...

355611.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

^^^ My jaw dropped to the ground when I saw that image. The raw images will be spectacular!

As to what could have made those features I'm drawing a total and complete blank, will just have to wait for some modelling results or better data to come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Are we looking at a blanket of ice here or is it rock? It certainly looks very interesting.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Are we looking at a blanket of ice here or is it rock? It certainly looks very interesting.

Yep think it's a blanket of ice , I lost the stream
    I'll wait till summarised data later :)

Just FYI

The BBC will be screening a special Sky At Night programme called Pluto Revealed on Monday 20 July, which will recap all the big moments from the New Horizons flyby.

linked from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33570131

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

This simulated flyover of Pluto’s Norgay Montes (Norgay Mountains) and Sputnik Planum (Sputnik Plain) was created from New Horizons closest-approach images. Norgay Montes have been informally named for Tenzing Norgay, one of the first two humans to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Sputnik Planum is informally named for Earth’s first artificial satellite. The images were acquired by the Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) on July 14 from a distance of 48,000 miles (77,000 kilometers). Features as small as a half-mile (1 kilometer) across are visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

http://www.nasa.gov/nh/pluto-wags-its-tail

The solar winds "blow away" Pluto's escaping nitrogen atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

During its flyby, New Horizons will photograph the side of Pluto that’s turned away from the sun. This side is lit solely by the sun’s light reflecting off Charon. This is like taking a photo using just the light from a “quarter moon” on Earth.

theatlantic.com/

They were able to design a camera sensitive enough to take a pic of the dark side of Pluto via sunlight bounced off one of its moons yet tough enough to survive the journey - the whole thing is just beyond my levels of comprehension.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Just FYI

The BBC will be screening a special Sky At Night programme called Pluto Revealed on Monday 20 July, which will recap all the big moments from the New Horizons flyby.

linked from http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33570131

Bump

I know its off topic but right now there is a Horizon ep on BBC4 - Mission to Mars ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I know its off topic but right now there is a Horizon ep on BBC4 - Mission to Mars ...

Sky at night starting now, will probably have a lot about Pluto and new horizons

The horizon episode was good

Really good ... and an ep about the size of the universe next ... hmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Damn i missed it. Wonder if it will be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

mg1982 wrote: »
    Damn i missed it. Wonder if it will be repeated.

Missed myself.

Thursday 23.55.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Pluto Surface ...

355611.jpg

Wow. :eek:
    When I saw that I immediately thought of pack ice.
    There's stuff in there that looks like pancake ice, brash barriers and floebergs too.
    I'm betting it's all floating on the dark material which is a liquid ocean.
    Sounds farfetched but we know there must be energy coming from somewhere to renew the terrain.

I watched the Sky at Night for the first time since Patrick Moore passed on.
    Very enjoyable, except for that ever so busy coloured lady.
    That voice of hers drives me bananas.

Edit: Maggie Aderin-Pocock is her name.

It's a great show but the presenters are heading wrecking!!!
    The geological features on Pluto and Charon's surface are just unreal! The scar across Charon is fascinating.

I think Maggie Aderin-Pocock's great ... she has infectious enthusiasm for her subject. Now Chris Lintott, on the other hand, has the personality of slime mould, and John Culshaw's impersonations are cringey (I think/hope they've dropped that as a feature).

ps200306 wrote: »
    I think Maggie Aderin-Pocock's great ...
    No accounting for taste I suppose.
    She does my head in.
    Her style of communicating would be much better suited to interviewing some boy band for a bunch of teeny-boppers than serious or (even popular) science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I used to watch it until she came along.
    She's incredibly irritating, like Brian Cox on speed.
    Oh for Sir Patrick...

josip wrote: »
    I used to watch it until she came along.
    She's incredibly irritating, like Brian Cox on speed.
    Oh for Sir Patrick...
    Brian Cox needs a bit of speed. He's as plodding as a seniors pilgrimage up Croagh Patrick. (To match Maggie, of course, he'd also need a gender reassignment and membership of a tanning salon on Mercury). :P

C'mon, surely I can't be her only fan? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think Maggie Aderin-Pocock's great ... she has infectious enthusiasm for her subject

truly yours, your biggest fan
    This is Stan

I think Maggie Aderin-Pocock's great ... she has infectious enthusiasm for her subject.
    josip wrote: »
    truly yours, your biggest fan
    This is Stan

I like the sh1t you did with Rockets too, that sh1t was phat
    Anyways, I hope you get this man, hit me back,
    just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan
    This is Stan :D

You know who should present the Sky at Night?!? Dara O'Briain! Or Patrick Stewart! Now that would be brilliant!!!

Funny about Maggie Aderin-Pocock , I like that she's enthusiastic, but her narration style is too zealous, like she is trying too hard to make a story sound intriguing ..like a kid in school that has to read her story out to the class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

SarahBM wrote: »
    You know who should present the Sky at Night?!? Dara O'Briain! Or Patrick Stewart! Now that would be brilliant!!!
    I second this! Patrick Stewarts voice is pure silk. I've said too much haven't i.....

shedweller wrote: »
    I second this! Patrick Stewarts voice is pure silk. I've said too much haven't i.....

Yes...you have...we're on to you now!:)

shedweller wrote: »

Carl Sagan had that beautiful, smooth, confident voice that had me hanging on his every word.
    Only trouble, it was so calming that I tended to nod off, even when he was about to enter some intriguing new star system in his wonderful "Ship of the Imagination".:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Neil degrasse Tyson, Man is a legend. Humble and a very likeable person.

Advertisement