Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Carl Sagan had that beautiful, smooth, confident voice that had me hanging on his every word.
    Only trouble, it was so calming that I tended to nod off, even when he was about to enter some intriguing new star system in his wonderful "Ship of the Imagination".:o

+1 too for Patrick Stewart ... amazing voice, he voiced one of the historical characters in the new Neill De Grasse Tyson Cosmos series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Neil degrasse Tyson, Man is a legend. Humble and a very likeable person.
    His startalk podcasts are very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I propose Morgan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Neil degrasse Tyson, Man is a legend. Humble and a very likeable person.

This traitor?
    Wash your mouth out with soap!
    :)

https://youtu.be/_oxGy7zN7bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

shedweller wrote: »
    His startalk podcasts are very good too.

What in the which now ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

-1 for Dara O'Briain. He's only good for being the gag artist to Dr. Sexy's suave northern cool on Stargazing Live. Anyway, what were they thinking putting an Irishman on that program ... he makes it rain every year.

This traitor?
    Wash your mouth out with soap!
    :)

https://youtu.be/_oxGy7zN7bs

There's an inspiring little short film, about 15 minutes long, called Naming Pluto. I think it's still available to buy online. They talk to Venetia Burney and show her talking to local school kids in Banstead, Surrey where she lived (down the road from my sis'). Was made in '08, the year before she died. She's also shown talking to Patrick Moore, and visiting a telescope in the south of England where they showed her Pluto in the flesh. And of course, they were talking about New Horizons which had been launched two years before.

EDIT: clip here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6D9AQuB3QU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

the_monkey wrote: »
    What in the which now ???
    He has a weekly podcast called Startalk. Entertaining AND educational!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

"Space. The final frontier....." I'm gonna tweet him and ask, no beg him to do the show!!!
    Neil degrasse Tyson did cosmos in 2013, it's on Netflix I think. Brilliant!

shedweller wrote: »
    He has a weekly podcast called Startalk. Entertaining AND educational!

In fairness...he is a brilliant communicator!
    Everything that Maggie Aderin-Pocock isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

ps200306 wrote: »
    Wow. :eek:
    When I saw that I immediately thought of pack ice.
    There's stuff in there that looks like pancake ice, brash barriers and floebergs too.
    I'm betting it's all floating on the dark material which is a liquid ocean.
    Sounds farfetched but we know there must be energy coming from somewhere to renew the terrain.

Looks bio-mechanical, perhaps Pluto is a starship abandoned by its crew in some ancient cataclysmic.
    Or perhaps the planetoid is a sentient organism like the Solaris ocean planet that the Polish previously explored with that ill fated crew.

We should proceed with extreme caution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SarahBM wrote: »
    You know who should present the Sky at Night?!? Dara O'Briain! Or Patrick Stewart! Now that would be brilliant!!!
    Needs an astrophysicist too. We could badger Dr Brian May into it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Mosaic of the 2 LORRI pics released so far for Pluto:

20150721_nh-pluto-mountain-range_mosaic_f840.png
    NASA / JPL / JHUAPL / SwRI / Emily Lakdawalla

Sources

Those pictures reminded me about the statement I've seen printed that "the Sun looks like just another star from Pluto". Yet we've got clear shadows of mountains and crater rims. I realise that the contrast is probably enhanced many times, but I still doubt you could do that by ordinary starlight.

It turns out that the Sun looks like another star only in the sense that it is too small to be resolved into a visible disc by the human eye most of the time from Pluto. At it's closest to the Sun, it appears about same size as Venus does from Earth, which is considered to be just at the limit of human resolution (about one arcminute).

The comparison ends there, though. Depending on time of Plutonian year, the Sun would be 150 to 450 times as bright as a terrestrial full moon. Your surroundings would be lit as brightly as inside an electrically lit room on Earth. Yes, it would be one or two thousand times dimmer than a sunlit day on Earth, but the eye compensates quite easily. (I'm always tickled by the factoid that when you read a book in bright sunlight, the black print on the page is brighter than the white page itself is under electric light).

Another interesting point is that while the Sun's luminosity decreases with the square of the distance from it, so does the apparent area of the solar disc. This means that the brightness per unit area of the disc is constant. So you can simulate the Sun on Pluto by looking at it from Earth through a one millimetre hole cut in, say, metal foil and held at a distance of one metre. Of course, you'd have to block out all extraneous light, so you'd have to be inside a completely darkened room while doing it.

EDIT: It occurs to me that it's not quite a fair comparison. On earth, about 16% of the visible sunlight is not coming to you from the sun's disc at all, but in diffuse form from the sky. Above the atmosphere, that 16% of scattered light would be added to the direct light from the sun, plus another 8% or so that doesn't make it through the earth's atmosphere at all, so the sun is quite a bit more intense (and less yellow). So maybe you need to make the hole 1.12 mm to increase its area by 25%. Then again, the 1 mm was a rough guesstimate to being with, so I'm splitting hairs.

(Sources: 1, 2)

Here's the relative size of the Sun seen from different bodies in the Solar System. From the Earth it is half a degree, or 30 arcminutes:

Sun_Angular_Size_From_Planets_Full.png

On my screen, that solar disc from Earth is about 3.5 cm across. That means you'd have to stand 4 metres from the screen to see the correct angular sizes. (Just multiply the width on your screen by 720). I did a very unscientific test, and stood roughly 4 metres from the screen. Although I could still see the Pluto disc, I was seeing the black circle around it whereas I think the solar disc is supposed to be the area enclosed by it. The perception of a circular area enclosed by the black surround did indeed disappear somewhere between 3 and 4 metres distance.

ps200306 wrote: »
    Those pictures reminded me about the statement I've seen printed that "the Sun looks like just another star from Pluto". Yet we've got clear shadows of mountains and crater rims. I realise that the contrast is probably enhanced many times, but I still doubt you could do that by ordinary starlight.

It turns out that the Sun looks like another star only in the sense that it is too small to be resolved into a visible disc by the human eye most of the time from Pluto. At it's closest to the Sun, it appears about same size as Venus does from Earth, which is considered to be just at the limit of human resolution (about one arcminute).

The comparison ends there, though. Depending on time of Plutonian year, the Sun would be 150 to 450 times as bright as a terrestrial full moon. Your surroundings would be lit as brightly as inside an electrically lit room on Earth. Yes, it would be one or two thousand times dimmer than a sunlit day on Earth, but the eye compensates quite easily. (I'm always tickled by the factoid that when you read a book in bright sunlight, the black print on the page is brighter than the white page itself is under electric light).

Another interesting point is that while the Sun's luminosity decreases with the square of the distance from it, so does the apparent area of the solar disc. This means that the brightness per unit area of the disc is constant. So you can simulate the Sun on Pluto by looking at it from Earth through a one millimetre hole cut in, say, metal foil and held at a distance of one metre. Of course, you'd have to block out all extraneous light, so you'd have to be inside a completely darkened room while doing it.

(Sources: 1, 2)

Here's the relative size of the Sun seen from different bodies in the Solar System. From the Earth it is half a degree, or 30 arcminutes:

Sun_Angular_Size_From_Planets_Full.png

On my screen, that solar disc from Earth is about 3.5 cm across. That means you'd have to stand 4 metres from the screen to see the correct angular sizes. (Just multiply the width on your screen by 720). I did a very unscientific test, and stood roughly 4 metres from the screen. Although I could still see the Pluto disc, I was seeing the black circle around it whereas I think the solar disc is supposed to be the area enclosed by it. The perception of a circular area enclosed by the black surround did indeed disappear somewhere between 3 and 4 metres distance.

Great stuff ps.
    Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Looking at pictures of the Tombaugh region there, just thinking, could the hexagonal shapes in the white (icy) mass be an echo of underground craters, covered with that stuff ?

Is the white mass creeping out, or retracting on itself ?

It kind of looks to me like it could be spreading, rather than the obvious retracting. Like, seeping out of the ground slowly or something ?
    Maybe this stuff is more viscous than what we conceive as ice ?

http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-finds-second-mountain-range-in-pluto-s-heart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That really shows how elongated Mercury's orbit is compared to the other planets almost like Pluto. Earth and Venus are fairly stable.

Looking at pictures of the Tombaugh region there, just thinking, could the hexagonal shapes in the white (icy) mass be an echo of underground craters, covered with that stuff ?

Is the white mass creeping out, or retracting on itself ?

It kind of looks to me like it could be spreading, rather than the obvious retracting. Like, seeping out of the ground slowly or something ?
    Maybe this stuff is more viscous than what we conceive as ice ?

http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-finds-second-mountain-range-in-pluto-s-heart
    I'm still voting for colliding ice plates floating on a liquid surface (which might or might not be still liquid). I'm speculating that lower turbulence and convection due to the lower energies on Pluto make their scale larger than typically seen on Earth, but still essentially the same phenomenon. (Just like we see larger scale winds on the outer planets compared to the inner ones, due to less turbulence).

Missed myself.

Thursday 23.55.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

So lots of notice for it this time^^^^

• Advertisement

Bump for the show^^^

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

something i read recently, Pluto at it furthest would be roughly the same size in the sky as Betelgeuse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter

Just before 9 am on Newstalk Breakfast, Leo Enright said that the New Horizons team are about to announce a "really important" discovery at 7 pm our time this evening.
    Leo thinks that it might be to confirm a liquid core on Pluto.
    A Nobel Prize for ps200306?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Stunning nightside view of Pluto! Speeding away from the dwarf planet just seven hours after its July 14 ‪#‎PlutoFlyby‬, our New Horizons spacecraft looked back and captured this spectacular image of Pluto’s atmosphere, backlit by the sun. The image reveals layers of haze that are several times higher than scientists predicted. Details: http://go.nasa.gov/1SGfx0i

nh-pluto-hazy-skies_0.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/stunning-nightside-image-reveals-pluto-s-hazy-skies

04_McKinnon_03b.jpg

The complexity of this surface is stunning.
    They'll be years sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

04_McKinnon_03b.jpg

The complexity of this surface is stunning.
    They'll be years sorting it out.

mountains on icesheets by the looks of it crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

That central crater looks to be nearly 20 miles across at it's widest, if I'm reading that scale correctly. The one at the lower left that's half obscured looks like it could be even bigger! Some of the bigger mountains looks to be well over 10 miles across as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

These swirling icy floes on Pluto are mind blowing!

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=37201

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We just have to go back to Neptune and Uranus with modern probes. And an orbiter and maybe a lander for the moons.

or at least a small sub probe detached after the final slingshot and sent ahead so we can see what's change when the main probe arrives.

Please please please.

• Advertisement

Testing the Space-Bound Submarines That Will Explore Alien Oceans
    "One of the biggest discoveries in my field is that the solar system is littered with oceans," says Alan Stern, planetary scientist and principal investigator of the New Horizons mission. "The Earth is an oddball; it wears its oceans on the outside. The others have their oceans on the inside, below an insulating layer of ice."

Advertisement