Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm actually genuinely beginning to wonder if we'll be looking back one day, having discovered that Jupiter and Saturn's moons, along with the likes of Pluto and Ceres are littered with aquatic life, and wondering how we ever thought it was unique to Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

We just have to go back to Neptune and Uranus with modern probes. And an orbiter and maybe a lander for the moons.

or at least a small sub probe detached after the final slingshot and sent ahead so we can see what's change when the main probe arrives.

Please please please.
    If every working person put a euro/dollar/whatever into it....

"Nitrogen ice flow"

Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

And heres me thinking pluto was a dead planet. How wrong i was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Just before 9 am on Newstalk Breakfast, Leo Enright said that the New Horizons team are about to announce a "really important" discovery at 7 pm our time this evening.
    Leo thinks that it might be to confirm a liquid core on Pluto.
    A Nobel Prize for ps200306?:)
    Oh I couldn't accept it in all modesty ... I'll just take the million quid and the holiday in Sweden :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

shedweller wrote: »
    "Nitrogen ice flow"

Incredible.
    If you think that's cool there's Nitrogen Volcanoes on Triton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Pluto is really a giant ball of Alka Seltza lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The complexity of the surface of Pluto is stunning. Definite evidence of geological/tectonic activity. Charon also looks to possess a tectonic surface too - a huge chasm cuts across its icy surface.

This goes to show that the icy bodies of the outer solar system are among the most fascinating objects and insist on being individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Anyone heard anything on what new targets have been selected for next encounter?
    My two favourites would be Haumea and Salacia, but I admit not having a clue if their orbital positions are suitable or not?
    Surely, after the Pluto success, NASA won't dare to deny them the funds to keep the team together until at least 2026, when the probe's fuel is due to run its course?

Edit: this site,http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Participate/learn/What-We-Know.php?link=The-Kuiper-Belt

would seem to rule out Haumea, Eris and MakeMake at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Anyone heard anything on what new targets have been selected for next encounter?
    My two favourites would be Haumea and Salacia, but I admit not having a clue if their orbital positions are suitable or not?
    Surely, after the Pluto success, NASA won't dare to deny them the funds to keep the team together until at least 2026, when the probe's fuel is due to run its course?

Edit: this site,http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Participate/learn/What-We-Know.php?link=The-Kuiper-Belt

would seem to rule out Haumea, Eris and MakeMake at least

There is a small KBO candidate that New Horizons could be targeted to flyby in 2019 subject to funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

There are two potential targets within the available delta-V of New Horizons. One requires very little fuel to get to, the other would leave less than 20m/sec of delta-v after the course correction burn. The later would be probably more interesting since it's assumed to be bigger.
    Initialy there was a third suspect but on further observations it was ruled out because the delta-V required was a good bit above what NH has left. If I'm not mistaken the total remaining delta-V is 130m/s and the third candidate requires 180+m/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My daughter was asking me last night how New Horizons is powered, she thought it was hilarious when I told her it was by plutonium...

NASA App for Android is great by the way

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

My daughter was asking me last night how New Horizons is powered, she thought it was hilarious when I told her it was by plutonium...

NASA App for Android is great by the way

Plutonium is a very misunderstood, and much maligned, element!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah but it is interesting the mission uses the element named for the planet it's going to!

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Yeah but it is interesting the mission uses the element named for the planet it's going to!

What makes it even better is that plutonium was named for the planet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What makes it even better is that plutonium was named for the planet!
    Named for planets ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptunium
    Neptunium is a hard, silvery, ductile, radioactive actinide metal. In the periodic table, it is located to the right of the actinide uranium, to the left of the actinide plutonium and below the lanthanide promethium

Yes, uranium, neptunium and plutonium were named for the planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

New Images of pluto and sharon from horizon, the sharpest resolution pictures yet.

http://i60.tinypic.com/zn7wgh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Just read it on twitter that PT1 has been selected as the new target for New Horizons. Just an estimated 45km in diameter but would be the farthest out object from Earth that has ever been visited by a human made spacecraft.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Just read it on twitter that PT1 has been selected as the new target for New Horizons. Just an estimated 45km in diameter but would be the farthest out object from Earth that has ever been visited by a human made spacecraft.

Expected flyby date is 1st January 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Expected flyby date is 1st January 2019.

I think I'll put myself in hibernate mode until Christmas 2018

josip wrote: »
    I think I'll put myself in hibernate mode until Christmas 2018
    My kids wish they could do the same for every christmas! (Me too but just for the time off and an excuse to have drinky poos before 6 in the evening!)
    Any ideas about how close the flyby will be? I've searched around but didnt find much. Probably too soon for us plebs to know anyway!

shedweller wrote: »
    My kids wish they could do the same for every christmas! (Me too but just for the time off and an excuse to have drinky poos before 6 in the evening!)
    Any ideas about how close the flyby will be? I've searched around but didnt find much. Probably too soon for us plebs to know anyway!

Probably a bit closer than the 12,500km from Pluto, but they won't want to risk crashing into it.
    They might tell us after they've successfully completed the course corrections in Oct/Nov. They'll still have plenty of hydrazine to make minor course adjustments later in the trip.

New image from New Horizons of chaos type terrain. Reminds me of Europa style chaos.

PLUTO

Chaos-Region-9-10-15.jpg

EUROPA

gxc-s02075.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The black is like a tidal mark.

• Advertisement

It's the sea, and that's a glacier calving on the right

Advertisement