Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Can't wait to see some good close ups of Pluto, hopefully everything went well but I understand it will take over a year to receive all the data.

Time for everyone's favourite dwarf planet to shine :-)

A year to receive all the science data, but the high res. images should be here in a few weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

the_monkey wrote: »
    A year to receive all the science data, but the high res. images should be here in a few weeks :)

It's amazing, considering that my wireless router (which is far newer, and has access to a 230V socket) can barely transmit to the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

josip wrote: »
    Just to pass the time while we're waiting for pics.
    If Pluto had no atmosphere, then could New Horizon have theoretically sling shotted around Pluto to head back towards earth?
    If so, how close would it have needed to go to the Pluto's surface?
    I dont know the exact figures (or any!) but given new horizons speed and plutos tiny gravity, i dont think it would come back. In any case there would be no need because it will send back all its collected data.
    I still wish there was a lander though. Physics can really get in the way sometimes eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

shedweller wrote: »
    I still wish there was a lander though. Physics can really get in the way sometimes eh?!

If only it was being built now instead of 10 years ago, you could get it to shotgun a load of smartphones at Pluto as it goes past or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As an aside the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh who discovered Pluto were on board for today's flyby.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=36875

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nice to see that despite the tight weight restrictions for New Horizons they had room for sentiment.

Found this nice size comparison of solar system moons and dwarf planets. Just shows how small Pluto is versus some of the moons with 7 being larger than it. It's definitely a dwarf planet! *runs and hides*

LINKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I thought once it arrived at pluto its work was done. But i hear it will continue on to the kuiper belt and send back new information from there. Exciting times.

mg1982 wrote: »
    I thought once it arrived at pluto its work was done. But i hear it will continue on to the kuiper belt and send back new information from there. Exciting times.

Yes it is planned to fly by a Kuiper belt object in 2019.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Found this nice size comparison of solar system moons and dwarf planets. Just shows how small Pluto is versus some of the moons with 7 being larger than it. It's definitely a dwarf planet! *runs and hides*

LINKY

If Mercury was included in that image the flaw in that logic would become apparent. :P

• Advertisement

If Mercury was included in that image the flaw in that logic would become apparent. :P

Only 2 very large moons bigger than Mercury!

Only 2 very large moons bigger than Mercury!

So where's the cut off? Seven is too many, but two is not? That's even woolier than 'clearing the neighbourhood'. :P

So where's the cut off? Seven is too many, but two is not? That's even woolier than 'clearing the neighbourhood'. :P

Pluto is even small relative to its own moon with the centre of gravity with Charon sitting outside Pluto. It also has a highly inclined orbit relative to all the other planets. The definition is problematic but I just don't see Pluto as a planet. On the other hand I don't think anyone would suggest Mercury is not a planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

As an aside the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh who discovered Pluto were on board for today's flyby.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=36875

Probably the most expensive obsequies in history...but highly appropriate!

Pluto is even small relative to its own moon with the centre of gravity with Charon sitting outside Pluto. It also has a highly inclined orbit relative to all the other planets. The definition is problematic but I just don't see Pluto as a planet. On the other hand I don't think anyone would suggest Mercury is not a planet.

You could argue that Earth is small relative to its own moon - it would be the next lowest on the planet / moon ratio scale after Pluto. That doesn't seem like a good reason to discount it as a planet though.

The problem with the IAU's definition of a planet is that it's not definitive. It's open to interpretation, or debate. Has 'cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit' is imprecise and undefined and, as a result, it doesn't sit well as a basis for ejecting one of the classical 9 planets.

Equally, measuring the size in comparison to other planets' moons doesn't seem like a good basis either. Nor does comparing against the planet's own moon, since a planet is not even required to have one. However, at least if a specific ratio of radius or mass was chosen for one of those measurements, it would be clearly defined. That's not the case at the moment, which is a bit of a shambles.

Finally, Mercury looks more moonish than Pluto.

355266.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Great achievement, painful waiting but...don't know why...im worried about the dusty and smaller objects in that cruel bit of the space .

AMA here.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

LORRI FULLFRAME COLOR 13.07.2015 Reprocessed in Registax 6 & CS6

19512696759_b6de461616_z_d.jpg

credit images to NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute

Original HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

ZeRoY wrote: »
    LORRI FULLFRAME COLOR 13.07.2015 Reprocessed in Registax 6 & CS6
    Original HERE

:eek: That's one seriously impressive image ZeRoY! Thanks.

You could argue that Earth is small relative to its own moon - it would be the next lowest on the planet / moon ratio scale after Pluto. That doesn't seem like a good reason to discount it as a planet though.

Earth Moon centre of mass is inside the Earth. Clearly Earth is the dominant body in that system. Pluto-Charon centre of mass sits well outside the surface of Pluto so it's more like a binary system than a planet-moon.
    The problem with the IAU's definition of a planet is that it's not definitive. It's open to interpretation, or debate. Has 'cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit' is imprecise and undefined and, as a result, it doesn't sit well as a basis for ejecting one of the classical 9 planets.

Pluto isn't really a classical planet. The classical planets are the ones known since antiquity: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Either way if you want to argue that Pluto is a planet then Eris, Makemake, 2007 OR10, Haumea, Quaoar, Sedna, Ceres and Orcus must also be planets. I don't see anyone seriously arguing that there should be 17+ planets in the solar system.
    Equally, measuring the size in comparison to other planets' moons doesn't seem like a good basis either. Nor does comparing against the planet's own moon, since a planet is not even required to have one. However, at least if a specific ratio of radius or mass was chosen for one of those measurements, it would be clearly defined. That's not the case at the moment, which is a bit of a shambles.

Finally, Mercury looks more moonish than Pluto.

355266.png

So how a body looks is a good basis for deciding if it's a planet or not? Mercury has 25 times the mass of Pluto. It even has more mass than Ganymede and Titan combined even though they are marginally wider than it. Redefining Mercury due to some resemblance to the Moon seems like a crazier suggestion than the IAUs definition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Scientists nervously waiting for the next contact. Due at 01:53 BST.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33531751

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

B17G wrote: »
    Scientists nervously waiting for the next contact. Due at 01:53 BST.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33531751

I'd love to know how a tiny probe billions ofmiles away sends a signal to earth using radio and we manage to pick it up.

Anyone got an article that explain how it works.

Earth Moon centre of mass is inside the Earth. Clearly Earth is the dominant body in that system. Pluto-Charon centre of mass sits well outside the surface of Pluto so it's more like a binary system than a planet-moon.

Then you'd have to ask - is it not possible to have binary planets? What if we found two Earth-like worlds orbiting one another in another system, would you be reluctant to call them planets on that basis?

Although under the IAU's current definition, there are no planets at all outside the solar system...
    Pluto isn't really a classical planet. The classical planets are the ones known since antiquity: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Either way if you want to argue that Pluto is a planet then Eris, Makemake, 2007 OR10, Haumea, Quaoar, Sedna, Ceres and Orcus must also be planets. I don't see anyone seriously arguing that there should be 17+ planets in the solar system.

Point taken about the term 'classical planet'. A misnomer on my part, although it is a semantic difference that doesn't detract from the point I was making.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the idea that there could be 17 or more planets in the solar system. Much as I don't have a problem with there being hundreds, or thousands of asteroids. Mainly, my problem is with hazy definitions.
    So how a body looks is a good basis for deciding if it's a planet or not? Mercury has 25 times the mass of Pluto. It even has more mass than Ganymede and Titan combined even though they are marginally wider than it. Redefining Mercury due to some resemblance to the Moon seems like a crazier suggestion than the IAUs definition.

I was being somewhat facetious here, but actually also making a point. Think about what makes a planet look like the moon? A dry, rocky, heavily cratered, predominantly ancient surface. Little or no recent geological or tectonic activity. Little or no atmosphere.

If we are to define a planet on a tenuous basis such as 'clearing the neighbourhood', or barycenters, then in that light these could be equally valid criteria to add to the discussion.

Either a planet is a thing, or it isn't. If it's a thing, then it ought to be defined. The IAU's definition was thought up not because they had found a new class of object that needed a name, but because they had eight objects that they wanted to separate into their own class, and they needed to find a justification for it.

It's putting the cart before the horse and it strikes me as unscientific. It would have been more reasonable to simply define a planet as one of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus or Neptune. At least it would be unambiguous.

If we're being honest, the planets are too different to share a classification in the first place. Mercury and Jupiter have absolutely nothing in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

irishgeo wrote: »
    I'd love to know how a tiny probe billions ofmiles away sends a signal to earth using radio and we manage to pick it up.

Anyone got an article that explain how it works.

NASA's Deep Space Network. Antennas up to 70 metres in diameter. The site at Madrid is due to reacquire contact with the probe.

http://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

rolion wrote: »
    Great achievement, painful waiting but...don't know why...im worried about the dusty and smaller objects in that cruel bit of the space .

4.25mins (ish), explains what they did to limit getting hit by anything.

Is that live feed from the Mission Control !?
    That means they got the reply back from the NH !!!

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Healthy space craft, lots of data and ...they are already outbound from Pluto !!
    Fascinating...

Yeah NH phoned home safe and sound. Full data recorded and all systems green! Ready for those pictures now!

History in progress...

355301.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Yeah NH phoned home safe and sound. Full data recorded and all systems green! Ready for those pictures now!
    1 higher res pic tomorrow and then you'll be waiting afaik.

Advertisement