Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church vs. workers rights.

Options
  • 12-09-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I thought we were finally moving away from a point where the church stays out of politics.

Another Union, the TEEU is claiming a Yes vote will not bring the Government any closer to recognising the right of Irish workers to collective bargaining.

The union said it wants a special binding protocol added to the treaty that would give priority to workers' rights.

I think this would make it possible for people like me to vote Yes.

After all, where workers got a solemn declaration, the church got their abortion protocall
    This despite the Ryan report and the fact that the Irish Tax payer is paying €1.35 billion for the sins of the Church because of a deal was agreed with Dr. Michael Woods (Fianna Fail of course) while the church had their liability limited to only €128 million.

No surprise really that the Hierarchy have given tacit support to Lisbon II - he who pays the piper etc. (even if it is with our money)

As well as that, Pat Cox have complained about religious imagry being used by those idiots at COIR - and told the Jesuits to stop them doing so.

An advert in Awake contending the Lisbon Treaty was also lambasted by Cox and MEP's - so much for freedom of the press.

But when it comes down to it, is the Church really that different from the EU in some ways.
    Lisbon allows for the election of a president, not by people but by buereaucrats, like the college of Cardinals.
    Both are supernational organisations that are not answerable properly to us because they are so far removed from us, have been found to be corrupt, and both tell us that they know best.

I think the church should be more concerned with the rights of the living than the unborn, and should stay out of the Lisbon debate.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Another Union, the TEEU is claiming a Yes vote will not bring the Government any closer to recognising the right of Irish workers to collective bargaining.
    ...whereas a No vote will?
    An advert in Awake contending the Lisbon Treaty was also lambasted by Cox and MEP's - so much for freedom of the press.
    If your definition of "freedom of the press" involves removing the right to point out blatant lies in the press, then I want no part of it, thanks.

Unless, of course, you actually believe the ad in Alive was truthful and honest?

Advertisement