Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Arsenal (Match Thread Warning #322)

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

copacetic wrote: »
    how far are they allowed to run? Neville ran about 1/4 of a pitch, and he had nothing to do with the goal.

80 yards iirc

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Headshot wrote: »
    80 yards iirc

thought it was a lot less, he was on halfway or so and only ran far enough to still be 30 yards or so from the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

RasTa wrote: »
    Sorry this means nothing, you talk so much rubbish in relation to football it's embarrassing. Neville ran half the length to get to the Pool fans but because he never played for them it's ok?

he didn't run half the pitch, he ran back to his position where he was probably been abused constantly and celebrated in his "area"

you do know there's an ignore function on boards right?

feel free to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ntlbell wrote: »
    he didn't run half the pitch, he ran back to his position where he was probably been abused constantly and celebrated in his "area"

feel free to use it.

And the Arsenal fans weren't abusing Ade yesterday? Remember these are the fans that boo their own players off the pitch.

Showing a bit of passion isn't a disgrace to the game, stamping on someones face is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Some good fan footage of the celebration. You can see it all kicking off -

On a side note, if the celebration is looked at under some precedent then they might also want to have a second view of RVP's where he runs over to the City fans shouting "Fuck off bastards".

Good youtube, much better than any footage i saw yesterday. I didn't notice RvP celebration, do you have a link? just curious to see him abusing the city fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

And the Arsenal fans weren't abusing Ade yesterday? Remember these are the fans that boo their own players off the pitch.

Showing a bit of passion isn't a disgrace to the game, stamping on someones face is.

I didn't see any passion.

if it's ok, why did he make a public apoligy for doing it?

he knows it was disgraceful behaviour and stamping on an ex colleague's hand in the same game.

your right.

he was just showing a bit of passion.

good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

feel free to use it.

But sure where's the fun in talking to yourself? ;)
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Good youtube, much better than any footage i saw yesterday. I didn't notice RvP celebration, do you have a link? just curious to see him abusing the city fans.

I'm looking at the mo but nothing on youtube or 101greatgoals etc.

It was commented on by City forums but during and after. I'll keep digging.

EDIT: 55 secs or so into this vid you can see it but cam cuts away -

I didn't see any passion.

if it's ok, why did he make a public apoligy for doing it?

he knows it was disgraceful behaviour and stamping on an ex colleague's hand in the same game.

your right.

he was just showing a bit of passion.

good man.

lol Gary Neville made a public apology, doesn't mean anything. You don't even realize the double standard. I'm only focusing on the celebration in which you singled him out as disgrace to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Trolling?! Did he or did he not stand on his hand? Because that's all I said.

And yes I am a moderator. Well spotted.

Come on Xavi don't act dumb. If Boggles/Mr Alan(examples!:p) had done the same thing you would not be saying treating it this way.

Of course you're never gonna admit to trolling, and you've got plenty of people on here who'll support you in playing ignorant, but as a mod I think you should have more cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

At 8 seconds, that's as deliberate an attempt to make contact with his face as you'll see. I don't see how that can be defended. No amount of provocation can excuse that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

1ruomd.gif

Stood on his hand

You were obviously looking for a reaction with this post. And your little website buddy backing you up is also laughable.

Your usually somewhat reasonable but this WAS an attempt to get a rise out of others given the context of the thread. Pretty bad form for an ordinary poster, never mind a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

At 8 seconds, that's as deliberate an attempt to make contact with his face as you'll see. I don't see how that can be defended. No amount of provocation can excuse that.

+1

Adebayor's not even looking to play the ball anymore after Van Persie goes down. He's looking at Van Persie all the while. Knew what he was doing.

You were obviously looking for a reaction with this post.

Why the fuck would I be looking for a reaction? City fans put up with enough shit as it is (read the rest of this match thread for the usual dose of bitterness when we play well) without inviting it on ourselves.

It's fact he stood on his hand and I pointed that out. Never once have I defended anything he did.

Why the fuck would I be looking for a reaction? City fans put up with enough shit as it is (read the rest of this match thread for the usual dose of bitterness when we play well) without inviting it on ourselves.

It's fact he stood on his hand and I pointed that out. Never once have I defended anything he did.

have to back up xavi here

he's not the one to look for reactions

To put it simply;

Most people reading that post will read it as if you are trying to brush it off as just a stamp on the hand (which is scummy in itsef). In fact, mor than a few people have picked you up on it so far.

You can play the igorance card all you want but your looking like a fool because of it.

I thought Xavi was taking the piss myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I thought the posting of the pictures of Adebayor was looking for a bit of a reaction earlier too. Why not post some pictures of city's best player Bellamy's goal or any of the others?

That_Guy wrote: »
    +1

Adebayor's not even looking to play the ball anymore after Van Persie goes down. He's looking at Van Persie all the while. Knew what he was doing.

It's not even a question of him trying to play the ball, nobody can possibly believe that. The difference of opinions seems to be based around people not wanting to believe that one of their team's players did anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ah you're just saying that cos you're sleeping with him. ;)

To be fair if a Newcastle player did that to someone I'd be wanting proper punishment to be applied because it ruins the game.

City get a lot of stick because "they're shoite and will never win the league" blah blah. And now that this incident has happened everyone's gonna hop on the "hate city" bandwagon.

I think Adebayor deserves a ban for it yes but lads posting in this thread you need to lay off the personal attacks. Not cool.

Surely you can see that just saying this would be as well received as someone posting the gif of Rooney being taken down 2 weeks ago and simply saying "It was a penalty".
    It's clearly going to draw a reaction, so what was the point in posting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I've an idea, and granted it's a bit radical so try and stay with me here.

How about instead of focusing on what people's intentions behind posting something are we all do one of two things

1) click report post if you have a problem with a post on thread. don't debate it in the thread.

2) stick to talking about the game rather than back and forth posting on the intentions of individual posts

If this thread doesn't get back on track soon I'm locking it as it would appear there's nothing left to say about the match.

You were obviously looking for a reaction with this post. And your little website buddy backing you up is also laughable.

Your usually somewhat reasonable but this WAS an attempt to get a rise out of others given the context of the thread. Pretty bad form for an ordinary poster, never mind a mod.

He's not one to look for reactions like that. He will like every other poster, throw a light hearted jibe in, but nothing bordering on troll. Hence why I'm pretty sure he was more defending it because it's City and he'll defend them because they're his club, not because he finds it fun to defend the indefensible and wind up fans.

Xavi, yes, he stamps on his hand, which is equally disgraceful anyway, incredibly easy to break 3 or 4 bones in a single stamp, but he rakes his studs off his face. No need for that in football, it's pathetic and cowardly and it's intentional. Keane was a disgrace when he kicked Haaland intentionally, and City fans hated him for it, the only difference is that luckily for RVP he got away with just a cut. (well of course I also HIGHLY doubt that Ade is gonna write a book admitting he never liked RVP at Arsenal and that "he's waited long enough" etc but the action was the same) Could have been much much worse and there's NO place for it in the sport. If Ade thinks he's a hard man he should go into combat sports and stop being a coward and kicking people when they're down. Same goes for all cheap shots tbh. More should be done about it.

But those attacking Xavi and calling him a troll need to cop on. He's usually on the mark and a very good poster. IMO he got this one wrong, but this is a case of attack the post not the poster.

Iago wrote: »
    I've an idea, and granted it's a bit radical so try and stay with me here.

How about instead of focusing on what people's intentions behind posting something are we all do one of two things

1) click report post if you have a problem with a post on thread. don't debate it in the thread.

2) stick to talking about the game rather than back and forth posting on the intentions of individual posts

If this thread doesn't get back on track soon I'm locking it as it would appear there's nothing left to say about the match.
    Sorry I didnt see this till after I'd posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

C'mon Rasta you are not comparing like with like, Nevilles situation and ade's are totally different, When Michael Owen scores against the pool and runs the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the liverpool fans we will be able to compare like with like.

Ades celbration yesterday had nothing to do with passion, his intention was to incite the Arsenal fans which is very poor form for a former player of theirs.

People may well feel his actions were justified given the history but it was a very dangerous and stupid thing to do in a football stadium, there is no justification for it. I shall say the very same thing if my hypothetical situation above arises, fingers crossed eh.

Just thinking, and I'm open to correction, if Adebayor gets a three game or whatever and we appeal, the whole process gets pushed back a week while that appeal is heard, thus leaving him free to play in next week's derby?

As I said, feel free to correct me on that.

Just thinking, and I'm open to correction, if Adebayor gets a three game or whatever and we appeal, the whole process gets pushed back a week while that appeal is heard, thus leaving him free to play in next week's derby?

give up he'll be gone for that match

muwhahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hope he doesn't try the same stunt with Rooney and ruin his good looks.

If it was meant as light hearted joke then I apologise. I misread it obviously.

If he is to get banned, I dont think it'll be from this week on, likely it'll be further in future to allow for an appeal or something. Thats the usual isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd imagine thats true. Depends on whether or not the appeal process is done before the weekend.

Just a note on the celebration by Adebayor. Last year Riquelme ended up in court for inciting disorder during a Boca game when he scored, ran 50 yards down the other end, and pointed at a fan that abused him during a game.

There was no need for Ade to do that and to be honest I've always thought of him as classless when he was at Arsenal. The way he went on about his contract; was it any surprise Arsenal fans booed him after saying he wanted to be paid the same as Henry and then going on to play like he didn't give a f***? And saying things like this a couple of years ago when linked with Milan and Juventus: 'I had a dream of playing for Arsenal, and Arsenal are one of the loveliest clubs in the world,' he said. 'When I go back to Africa it is obvious that a lot of people love the club. But now I have a chance of playing with one of the biggest clubs in the world.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Muppet wrote: »
    C'mon Rasta you are not comparing like with like, Nevilles situation and ade's are totally different, When Michael Owen scores against the pool and runs the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the liverpool fans we will be able to compare like with like.

Ades celbration yesterday had nothing to do with passion, his intention was to incite the Arsenal fans which is very poor form for a former player of theirs.

Rubbish, Neville's actions were every bit as bad - especially given the history of hatred and bad blood between Liverpool and United (something that's not there with Arsenal and City). At least Adebayor scored the goal! Both players set out to deliberately incite and antagonise the visiting supporters and both are as bad as each other in that instance.

Hope he doesn't try the same stunt with Rooney and ruin his good looks.

If it happens to Rooney, Vidic will just step in again, same as with Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Asked this earlier but it went unnoticed because everyone was bashing ya!!!!
    I would be surprised if they do appeal it. I think to respect what happened they should accept the ban. P.S. I am a United fan!!!lol!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can't appeal these, unless the ban is more than 3 games (and then only the extra games). In the fast track system they charge within 2 days and city have a day to respond, then the decision is made.

Interesting to see what happens, last year he could only have gotten 3 games for the stamp, but there is no limit anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

arselol.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KevIRL wrote: »
    arselol.gif

lol football fans! They look as if they would have ripped him from limb to limb if they'd got on to the pitch. wp the Steward seeing the funny side of the whole thing.

• Advertisement

I disagree, the Liverpool fans in the stadium had the same reaction with Neville due to the nature of the fixture.

Both the same for me and neither should be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

As per my above post it seems there's nothing left to discuss of the match yesterday so I'm closing this down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement