Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

under-sink waste disposal units

• 12-09-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

hi folks, does anyone have a waste disposal unit they can comment on? as i live in an apartment i'm thinking of getting one of these because the bin is too smelly, so it'd be nice to flush all the food waste down the sink.
    Have you had any problems with them, are they noisy, do they need cleaning, replacing parts etc. Any particular brands recommended?

any advice much appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

We got one last October. I cant remember the brand name. It has given us no trouble at all and we have not had to maintain it in any way. It is about as noisy as a hoover, but it is only on about 1-2 mins per day. We dispose of nearly all organic material - cooked meat, dairy, used kitchen towels etc. It takes more stuff than a compost heap. It doesnt take hard fruit stones, like peach kernels. Some of the larger stuff, like broccoli stalks need to be chopped up a bit before going down the disposal unit. There are no smells, as everything is flushed down the drains with the water.

We had a little problem at the start as the kitchen outlet pip outside didn't go right down into the drain, but a quick DIY job with a pipe adapter fixed that! It needs both a plumber and an electrician to fit it and takes up a bit of under-sink space, but definitely the best €250 we spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

thanks Scubachick, i think i'll go ahead and get one then. i'm a little concerned that they could be responsible for blocking drains, but seeing as people pour oil and grease down normal sinks, i don't think organic food waste is going to be any worse.

Advertisement