Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC satifaction poll

• 12-09-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've heard lots of conflicting reports on the quality (or lack) of UPCs support/customer service. I'm wondering if people are happy overall with there UPC broadband, as you tend to the horror stories the loudest.

So my question is...

EDIT

There's a very comprehensive poll about all broadband providers (including NTL) – but as it goes back a few years, I don't think it provides an accurate snapshot of how people few about there current service.

I am... 171 votes

on the whole happy with UPC broadband
    0% 0 votes
    unhappy and am still with UPC
    76% 131 votes
    unhappy and left UPC
    16% 29 votes
    not with UPC but clicking poll options is fun!
    6% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I'm medium happy. I'm on 20mb so I can't complain but I usually only get speeds of around 9/10mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

I am back with UPC with 10 mb's, phone and tv service after 2 years with 'Dodgey' box and ........

so far so good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm happy with the service, just not the customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Very happy with them. Usually solid speeds from 20Mb.

I've had to contact them 3 times. First was before I signed up and i got a reply within 3 days. The other 2 times I didn't get a reply at all. So customer service not great, but the rest is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I've had UPC broadband & TV for the last 12 months. Initially I signed up for 20Mbit but later downgraded to 10Mbit after a couple of months.

I'm getting ~10Mbit download speeds, so I've no real complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

I'm on 20mb, my speeds have never really dipped below 17mb which I figure is pretty acceptable.

I had little trouble setting up port forwarding on the Netgear router, which is nothing special but works fine.

In terms of reliability, they've had network problems I think four times in the eight months I've been with them, but it's important to note that none of those four times was longer than six hours, and two of them were less than two hours. Having been with a couple of different providers and worked for a third myself, I view that as a reasonable amount of downtime.

I find the price alright, when you add everything together they're not really all that expensive, and their "fair usage policy" isn't really so bad. I have god knows how many hundreds of GB traffic per month and they've never bothered me about it.

Overall, no ISP is perfect but I've had good experiences with them.

Oh yeah, one more thing: When I got my router first, the tech who came to install it messed up and registered the wrong router with the back-end people. I rang tech support, the girl was nice but explained it was too late to do anything about it and I should ring tomorrow. I wasn't at all pleased but I just asked her politely to log that I wasn't happy, and said I realized it wasn't her fault. She rang me back twenty minutes later, she had managed to find someone to unlock my account (It was the wrong mac address registered) and now stuff was working. I know that's just one person but that's pretty above and beyond, so UPC probably has a special place in my heart for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

im very unhappy with them due to connection problems im having and the lack of any useful help i am reciving from them.

i will be leaving them soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm medium happy. I'm on 20mb so I can't complain but I usually only get speeds of around 9/10mb

I'm in the same position. However the speed difference doesn't make much of a difference to me and the unlimited cap does so I'm ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

im on the 10mb package, and i can tell you it really depends on how you use your internets.

the new modem router they are supplying is absolutely rubbish, and cannot be used to surf and DL at the same time. it can be used for torrenting, and ive DL'ed at 1mb/s fine, but try torrent at maybe 200kbps and surfing becomes near impossible/highly annoying, with reloading pages etc. every time, and thats with very very low upload speeds. it IS impossible when uploading higher than 20kbps.

for use on normal internet/youtube/surfing /b/ its fine. very good.

i have not yet been able to stream to my xbox since recieving the new modem, and doubt ill find a real reason besides that the Cisco2425 is utter smelly shiete.

im in the process of buying a new router, a linksys wrtxx series, which is amazing, and im hoping that it'll solve ALL of the problems. ill post up how it works out, but i reccomend everyone who gets upc's new Cisco2425 to do the same. the old netgear router works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm on the 20mb package and no problems at all. Can be a little slower than advertised at peak (but still > 10mb), but the right speed the rest of the time.

The thing is that people post here when they complain but dont post here when they are happy. So to the outsider coming into this place UPC are awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am very happy with the service, wouldn't dream of switching to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    im on the 10mb package, and i can tell you it really depends on how you use your internets.

the new modem router they are supplying is absolutely rubbish, and cannot be used to surf and DL at the same time. it can be used for torrenting, and ive DL'ed at 1mb/s fine, but try torrent at maybe 200kbps and surfing becomes near impossible/highly annoying, with reloading pages etc. every time, and thats with very very low upload speeds. it IS impossible when uploading higher than 20kbps.

for use on normal internet/youtube/surfing /b/ its fine. very good.

I read on a thread here that UPC have locked the routers to their network, not sure what that means but it doesnt sound good in terms of replacing the router.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055679930

Oh and thank you very much for explaining that the torrents will interfere with regular surfing. I didnt realise this and have been convinced that it was a problem with the router. Currently have the laptop wired directly in (very inconvenient) and is working perfectly. Will you let us know when you get the new router and whether or not its working? Would really love to get a proper router in :rolleyes:

Oh and I got the streaming to work for the xbox but only when plugged in directly and using the Zune software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

have been with chorus now upc for the last fifteen years (i think anyway i have them a long time)

had tv with them frist then got phone and broadband

have only ever had a small few problems most not upcs fault

some fella down the road kept trying to tap into the cable upc stop him by covering the cable and it never goes down now

hasn't been down for the last couple for years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Never had a major issue since I've had them, must be about 10 years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i'm on the 20mb broadband only, no tv or phone. i've had the odd outage every once in a while,especially on the few warm days we get, but the last few months its a lot more stable and the speed have improved aswell. so i can have no real complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its the same with virtually every ISP for home broadband. They are all great unless you have a problem as they only care about business customers.

Home customers are just free money to them, once you have a problem your going to cost them so they don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

experience has generally been good.

I've had 1-2 issues in the past year (both at my house and a friends) and on both occasions they've sent an engineer out once they've gone through their call-center script.

It's kind of annoying to have to go through the script with them when you've done most of the checks before calling them but that's the way most support centres are setup.

I've only been present for one of the call-outs but the engineer that came out to fix one of the internet issues showed up on time, replaced a bunch of old coax cable and did a bunch of signal checks. He didn't leave until everything was checked and I was happy.

that's much much better than 2-3+ years ago when the engineer wouldn't show up at all on multiple occasions, didn't give you a heads up 1-2 hours before they arrived and generally didn't fix anything... :/

The one thing I would like to see UPC/NTL/Chorus do is implement something along the lines of http://www.google.com/appsstatus for their service. On their website, they've committed to keeping people looped in but haven't implemented anything. The nice thing about the Google site is that they provide an update and you can go back and check if the issue you were seeing corresponded to the issue on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Generally happy with UPC.

Have tv & broadband with them and they offer relatively good value in my opinion but the customer support, while improving, still leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

Just signed up for 20Mb broadband. They messed up the install and I was on the phone twice and last time for 40 mins trying to get it sorted. They did that last time I signed up as well. Speeds aren't 20Mb, getting slow 5-15Mb with an average of 10Mb. Torrenting is slow and doesn't currently work while surfing normally (Im not a big uploader). I guess I need to open ports and try some other tweaks.

Its expensive for 20Mb and the Cisco cable/modem router is the hardest to configure Ive ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I have 10 mb broadband with upc, very happy with it. Customer service is terrible though. Never have had a problem with broadband but did have to ring them about tv and their customer service is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Its expensive for 20Mb[/QU

your wrong its cheap for 20mb broadband eircom charge 40 euro for the up to 7mb off them and only a very small amount of people can get 7mb

so 40 euro for 20mb is good

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Its expensive for 20Mb[/QU

your wrong its cheap for 20mb broadband eircom charge 40 euro for the up to 7mb off them and only a very small amount of people can get 7mb

so 40 euro for 20mb is good

lol was going to say, its cheap for 20Mbps, hell its probably the only residential 20Mbps connection in the country outside of the obvious one that I can't remember (only available in one town).

I might have been better to qualify that statement: that compared to to other countries broadband is expensive. Is it magnet that offers 20Mb residential as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I might have been better to qualify that statement: that compared to to other countries broadband is expensive. Is it magnet that offers 20Mb residential as well?

Ya they do .... if your address is number 1 magnet exchange drive, exchange road, magnet offices , dublin.

Otherwise its gonna be less than 20.

Funny. All speeds offerings are delivered at less than advertised, due to contention rates and what not.

<off topic>Optical fibre to the door. Mnnn. Oh wait the government didnt unbundle the local loop when it sold Eircom, thus crippling competition for years and the progress of Broadband in Ireland forever. </off topic>

lol go with Magnet then, I'm guessing the reason is its not available in your area as it only available in a very limited area.

Can't really compare to other countries, our regulator has a weird way of doing things compared to most normal countries.

Just signed up for 20Mb broadband. They messed up the install and I was on the phone twice and last time for 40 mins trying to get it sorted. They did that last time I signed up as well. Speeds aren't 20Mb, getting slow 5-15Mb with an average of 10Mb. Torrenting is slow and doesn't currently work while surfing normally (Im not a big uploader). I guess I need to open ports and try some other tweaks.

Hi electrolinks, I'm having a similar problem as yourself in regards to I'm not able to download torrents and surf at the same time - browser (all three of them) keep timing out and takes about 5 refreshes to load a page if I'm stubborn and keep trying to download a torrent. Because of this I was just wondering did you ever manage to solve the problem? :confused:

I've very little experience with routers only ever having setup one before (this was a nice expensive one however - and actually worked straight out of the box and with the useful instruction manual provided).

Think it is also kinda daft that when you call UPC your just told that they'll change the frequency. Before I discovered (thank you boards.ie) that it was the torrents that was messing with my browsing and had gone through half my internet settings looking for the problem. I tweaked things that even vista didnt know it had :D

Yes, I think I have managed to make it a little better by changing some settings on my bittorrent client. Ill send them on to you

• Advertisement

Yes, I think I have managed to make it a little better by changing some settings on my bittorrent client. Ill send them on to you

cheers for the settings there man, not to mention the extra bit of knowledge. After having played with a couple of settings I can see a noticeable difference already.
    Nice to see that there are lads still out there who are working to keep p2p going, despite the isp's efforts. :D

Advertisement