Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Expectancy of Brewer's Yeast

• 12-09-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey. I'm living outside of Ireland and brewing beer with kits brought from Ireland. I have two new kits that arrived without brewers' yeast. There is brewers' yeast in my house (in foil packaging), but most of it seems to have best before dates in 2004. Does brewers' yeast die in the foil packaging after a number of years? How much worse will my home brew be if I use baking yeast or wine making yeast?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I assume baking yeast wouldn't have a high enough tolerance to alcohol.

Wine yeast could make a good strong brew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Is probably out of data, but it should have a use by data on the pack also best keeping even dry yeast in the fridge as there will be a higher number of viable cells.

bread yeast is selected fro it ability to produce CO2 and not for flavour, wine yeast can metabolise or has a lot of trouble with maltose an may not ferment out complete. just my two cents its dry bear yeast is cheap compared with the cost of yuor kit and time time you are going to put into it

Advertisement