Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is Kildare so expensive?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I moved to Kildare recently and I can't get over how expensive it is. Dublin is cheaper in may ways. it's as if the Celtic Tiger is still very much alive and the ripp-off culture is omnipresent.
    prices dropped in dublin and most cities but not kildare.
    i tried to get into a disco last night in Naas and they were going to charge me 10 euro in, although they were closing in 15 mins.
    i don't know how and why people tolerate this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mr roper

what disco in dublin will let you in free for the last 15 mins,there all rip offs.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I moved to Kildare recently and I can't get over how expensive it is. Dublin is cheaper in may ways. it's as if the Celtic Tiger is still very much alive and the ripp-off culture is omnipresent.
    prices dropped in dublin and most cities but not kildare.
    i tried to get into a disco last night in Naas and they were going to charge me 10 euro in, although they were closing in 15 mins.
    i don't know how and why people tolerate this.

are you comparing the cost of living between Dublin & Kildare based on a night club fee ??
    what else do you find more expensive than Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why go into a club for 15 mins? Just wait in Supermacs, the drunk girls come there after ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i've been in dublin discos where i did not have to pay in.

kildare seems to have south dublin prices. I mean for me its the countryside yet the price of a pint is the same price as in dublin.

accomodation is the same price as in Dublin. maybe i should have moved into Laois. its supposed to be cheaper or at least have normal country prices.
    people are less likely to tolerate being ripped-off these days, but not so in kildare. maybe its because the options are limited.

Pablod wrote: »
    are you comparing the cost of living between Dublin & Kildare based on a night club fee ??
    what else do you find more expensive than Dublin ?

i can get a simple haircut in Dublin for 7/8 euro, sometimes even 5. thats what the foreigners charge and there are plenty of foreigners in kildare, yet the standard price is 12 euro or 10 if you are lucky.

a guinness is 4.20 in kildare. normally outside of dublin i would pay 3.90.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    Why go into a club for 15 mins? Just wait in Supermacs, the drunk girls come there after ;)

there is no place like galway and its supermacs culture. at least i've never seen the likes anywhere else. most other places have really small chippers. BTW do they still chrage an extra 10% after 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Kildare is right next to Dublin, I'd hardly expect the cost of living to suddenly drop to the same level as say Roscommon just because you cross the border into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

As a previous poster said you are saying Kildare is expensive just becasue of a night club. More likely the one attached to hotel?
    Haircuts in Dublin City will be much cheaper yes, as there would be a lot more people using them. Also cheap haircuts are normally on a Monday and Tuesday if I am correct?
    Also don't forget a lot of Kildare is a commuter belt and within easy reach of Dublin Co and City.
    But I imagine if you look hard enough you will find some bargains, they ain't gona come to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

I've always found that any nightclub outside of Dublin is dearer than in Dublin city centre. I can say Navan is the exact same as Naas when it comes to nightclub entry prices- €10, €12, €15! My guess is that the "country" (if you can call Kildare towns that) nightclubs only really get a crowd at the weekend so they've to charge more to make the same as the Dublin city clubs that would get people in mid week too.

Remember Dublin businesses would have a greater volume of customers so in theory they should be able to provide cheaper goods and services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I moved to Kildare recently and I can't get over how expensive it is. Dublin is cheaper in many ways.

If you don't like it, you can feck off back to jackeen land.

BTW, pint guinness in "posh" Dublin pub €5.40, pint in my local €3.70!
    Brandy & Ginger in "Posh" dublin pub €6.70, In my local €4.20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

OP, sounds like you went to TIME. TIME is a ripoff, everyone knows that. But it is one of the best clubs around. And as was said, they only get their crowds at the weekends so they have to make up for any lost money somehow.

I've found Dublin to be more expensive for most things. Going out mainly. Although other things are getting cheaper. Rent is still far more expensive, than Kildare, or Limerick if you want to compare cities.

darc wrote: »
    If you don't like it, you can feck off back to jackeen land.

quote]
    well thats very intelligent

LD 50 wrote: »
    OP, sounds like you went to TIME. TIME is a ripoff, everyone knows that. But it is one of the best clubs around. And as was said, they only get their crowds at the weekends so they have to make up for any lost money somehow.

I've found Dublin to be more expensive for most things. Going out mainly. Although other things are getting cheaper. Rent is still far more expensive, than Kildare, or Limerick if you want to compare cities.

places like Naas and Newbridge are towns yet I find myself paying big city prices. it is probably is the fact that they can only ripp people off at the weekend that the prices are so inflated. in these harsh economic times I am surprised people put up with it. i mean some of the more expensive clubs in dublin had to close down.maybe because there is more competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Precisely. There's no competition to push clubs like TIME to lower prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CYB

Kildare is hardly the "country" these days its practicly part of dublin, especially the towns around the boarder. If you go looking you will find the cheap haircuts and pints, but like someone else said, you have to find them. If you go to big places and nightclubs, there isnt must competition for cover charges so they can charge what they like. No way its more expensive than Dublin but definately parts are around the same as dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

OP name them if that is the case? These business seem to be doing ok in these hard economic times, if other peolpe were thinking on the same lines as you, they would look elsewhere to spend their money.

Advertisement