Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Adventure Game for PC.

Options
  • 27-11-2004 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I was strolling around town the other day and there was a number of Adventure Games available for the PC. Didn't recognise any of the titles so was looking for recommendations from anyone who has played any recently.

The last ones I played were Broken Sword and The Black Mirror.

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Which Broken Sword was that? Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror, and the new 3d one Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon are among my favourite adventure games, so if you liked the one you played I'd recommend tracking down the other two.

Grim Fandango is another good one, and Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 if you can find them.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is more RPG tilted but I'd still class it as a great adventure game, if you play for the dialogue and story then go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I thought you meant text-based aventure when I saw the thread.
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Babel and curses are all excellent games of this type anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could try Syberia (I&II) - The Longest Journey - Monkey Island (I-IV, but IV is meant to be bad) - Runaway (get it off eBay, it's not been released here and probably never will)...Adventuregamers will have all the latest information about...erm...adventure games ;)

Since you like Broken Sword, you could try Revolution's previous adventures, Lure of the Temptress or Beneath a Steel Sky, if you've not already. They're free to download from www.revgames.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All the lucas arts adventure games are great. The best one is Sam and Max. You should try Day of the tentacle and The Dig.

If you liked broken sword you should definitely get Beneath a Steel Sky. Its made by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Longest Journey is great. Got an adventure in the States earlier this year called Runaway which was very good (alot like Broken Sword in style) but I haven't seen it on sale here. You can't go wrong with any of Lucasarts adventures. Sam'n'Max, MI2 and DOTT are my faves.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Runaway isn't available here (but everywhere else) because the publisher's not willing to release it. (GMX Media I think they're called)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Gary, two recently released adventure games you might have a look at are the Moment of Silence, here, and Sherlock Holmes the Case of the Silver Earring, here, both published by Digital Jesters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Little big adventure 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Syberia 1 & 2 get my vote. Played the first one to death on the PS2 and just picked up the sequel today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

get grim fandango. it's only 7 euro and it's one of the all time greats

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ig chunky graphics aren't a prob then defo go for the lucas classics. as someone else said the dig is excellent. But Full throttle gets my vote because of its sheer coolness...
    Damn it lucas, why did you cancel the long awaited sequel????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks a million for all the suggestions. I had fairly new games in mind when I posted so I'll take a look at those.

I love the Lucas Arts adventure games myself, all time classics. What a shame they cancelled Full Throttle 2.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just noticed your avitar...if i'd have seen that prior to recommending full throttle.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

monument wrote:
    Gary, two recently released adventure games you might have a look at are the Moment of Silence, here, and Sherlock Holmes the Case of the Silver Earring, here, both published by Digital Jesters.

Both are woeful-avoid them like the plague.In Memoriam was strange but a good recent adventurer.

You cant really go wrong with most of the old Lucasarts adventures right up till the excellent Grim Fandango but The Dig is one of my favourites.

Both are woeful-avoid them like the plague.In Memoriam was strange but a good recent adventurer.

You cant really go wrong with most of the old Lucasarts adventures right up till the excellent Grim Fandango but The Dig is one of my favourites.

Has anyone actually played Moment of Silence and Sherlock Holmes the Case of the Silver Earring?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Syberia is good too, but anyway…

Moment of Silence - One of the reviewers are currently playing it, and he claims it's good. There’s links to a demo in the download section of http://www.momentofsilence.com – 294mb.

Sherlock Holmes the Case of the Silver Earring - If you like Holmes stuff, you should like it. Here’s a (newspaper-sized) review (third one down) http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1294835,00.html

monument wrote:
    Syberia is good too, but anyway…

Moment of Silence - One of the reviewers are currently playing it, and he claims it's good. There’s links to a demo in the download section of http://www.momentofsilence.com – 294mb.

Sherlock Holmes the Case of the Silver Earring - If you like Holmes stuff, you should like it. Here’s a (newspaper-sized) review (third one down) http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1294835,00.html

Thanks Cian

Advertisement