Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Controller heat sensor placement?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Alrighty, so I just got my hands on a Scythe fan controller which also has four heat sensors. However, even after a bit of Google and some beard scratching I'm still left wondering the best places to put em':confused: Four sensors in total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Yeesh good question.. Depends how many fans you have in your case really. Mine is all fans so they'd be useless anywhere(They'de just pick up the temp of cold air passing over them).

I assume they are fairly durable right? Stuff them inside your cpu/gpu heatsinks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Ok fanwise,

Front: 200mm in
    Top : 200mm out
    Back: 120 out
    Side: 120 mm in ( only turned on for gaming)
    CPU: Xigmatek darknight
    GFX: XFX 4890 stock cooler

So you reckon two of them could be slipped inside the fins on the cpu heatsink and the plastic cover over the gfx card ?

(I'm sure the 4890 will be a good durability test ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I really cant see much use in them, maybe put two in the front and the other two in the back/centre of the case top and bottom. They could be of use for checking the ambient temps in the case(Or how good your airflow is).

I was only kidding about stuffing them into the heatsinks, but if you like the smell of burnt plastic then throw one in the 4890. I'm sure it'll think it's a treat and eat it up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I was only kidding about stuffing them into the heatsinks, but if you like the smell of burnt plastic then throw one in the 4890. I'm sure it'll think it's a treat and eat it up.

lol.gif

On a more serious note, do try to stuff them in odd places as the PSU, HDD(s), CPU and chipset can usually be relied upon to supply their own reasonably accurate temp readings to inquisitive software (like SpeedFan and CoreTemp :)). Mine are built into my PSU (Odin GT); I have one free-floating sensor (for case/ambient), one stuffed in against my CPU voltage regulators' heatsink, one stuffed into a crevice in my RAM's heatspreaders and the last literally wedged into the business end of my OCd HD4830 :D

No burning smell yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Feck it, I'm feeding it to the 4890 for science! Plus, the temps are so low and I'm using Speedfan/SIFW anyway so I'm not overly concerned about the sensors or their readings.. I just wanted to use em' before they got lost in my bag of spare cables :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement