Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas historical trail

Options
  • 12-09-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Naas historical trail- what is it. is it worth going along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

A load of pointless green signs by the looks of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

banjopaul wrote: »
    A load of pointless green signs by the looks of it..

i saw signs everywhere for it and cycled along it for a while but saw no buildings or sites of historical merit so that is why I am wondering what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Seanán

I was cycling around Nás na Ríogh last Sunday and I looked at these new signs. One thing jumped out at me straight away. All the signs have atrocious spelling and typographical mistakes in the Irish texts. Every single one. How they allowed them to be displayed with such spelling mistakes is beyond me. I've brought it to the attention of Naas Town Council. They will all need to be replaced.

I did find the information interesting as I didn't know the history of some of the buildings or even that they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Seanán wrote: »
    I was cycling around Nás na Ríogh last Sunday and I looked at these new signs. One thing jumped out at me straight away. All the signs have atrocious spelling and typographical mistakes in the Irish texts. Every single one. How they allowed them to be displayed with such spelling mistakes is beyond me. I've brought it to the attention of Naas Town Council. They will all need to be replaced.

I did find the information interesting as I didn't know the history of some of the buildings or even that they were there.

thats because the Irish language here is purely for decorative purposes only. even in dublin they speak more irish. i was on a bus headed for kildare last night. a foreigner got on and said he wanted to go to Cill Dara. the bus driver (Irish) asked where that was and took out a list of stops. only when the other passengers said it meant kildare did he seem to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thats because the Irish language here is purely for decorative purposes only. even in dublin they speak more irish. i was on a bus headed for kildare last night. a foreigner got on and said he wanted to go to Cill Dara. the bus driver (Irish) asked where that was and took out a list of stops. only when the other passengers said it meant kildare did he seem to understand.

That worries me. I know barely any Irish, but I know the Irish placenames of the county, town and nearest train station to me as well as Dublin and other locations... :|

• Advertisement
Advertisement