Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone Got A Study Timetable Yet? If so how is it working for you?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Been back at school now for 2 weeks beginning to experience all the joys of leaving cert. Just wondering has anyone else made up a 'study timetable' and if so whats it like and more importantly is anyone sticking to it!?

Any tips or views on LC so far?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Nope- careers teacher told us to make one up but told him I wasnt timetabling my life outside of school..!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I found making a timetable and changing it regularly, allowing a bit of leeway invaluable during the leaving cert. It takes off so much pressure and means you don't have to worry about studying outside your studying hours.

With a decent plan, timetable and set of aims you can make the LC a whole lot less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I make study plans, but I'm not very good at following them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I made a couple of timetables last year, but they were more to make me feel like I was doing something... I never got around to actually using them... :/

In the last couple of weeks, I found just making a list of stuff to do, and then slowly working your way through it, worked. That way, you're not confined to certain times, and well, it looks like a fairly huge list, so it almost makes you work, if ya get me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've no time to study i've way to much homework and don't get any time :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Yes, there seems to be soooooooo much homework

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Nope- careers teacher told us to make one up but told him I wasnt timetabling my life outside of school..!

Can I have a Big Mac and large fries please. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Homework is study......

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Fad wrote: »
    Homework is study......

Yes, homework is study. I went to a CBS secondary school. Three and four hours home work each night.:(
    Feeder school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I dunno if it's worth much, but what I did was study two or three subjects each day, for between half an hour and an hour each, on top of doing regular homework. However, I did not stick to this at all, even a few weeks before the exams. It's very important to get into a good rhythm about it.

Basically, you want to be aiming to study each subject roughly the same amount each week. As for aims, maybe to cover a topic/chapter/exam question within the set time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, just wodering is ok to be doing like studying two subjects a night or should i do more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperheart

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi, just wodering is ok to be doing like studying two subjects a night or should i do more?

It depends how much time you spend on each and if you have tests that week in a certain subject. Studying two sounds fine to me, if you revised one subject for 20 minutes and read through a few chapters you'd be doing alright.

I'm finding it so difficult to study outside of homework, Sometimes I spend 4 hours doing homework a night. I think i'll leave my revision of past chapters i did in 5th year to weekends for an hour or two. I'll leave most of the work until i get a bit closer to the mocks.
    Once a procrastinator always a procrastinator. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

paperheart wrote: »

Procrastination is the friend of no man!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

It depends how much time you spend on each and if you have tests that week in a certain subject. Studying two sounds fine to me, if you revised one subject for 20 minutes and read through a few chapters you'd be doing alright.

I'm finding it so difficult to study outside of homework, I spend 4 hours doing homework per night. I think i'll leave my revision of past chapters i did in 5th year to weekends for an hour or two. I'll leave most of the work until i get a bit closer to the mocks.

4 hours:eek::eek::eek:.. doing what exactly!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paperheart

Daragh101 wrote: »
    4 hours:eek::eek::eek:.. doing what exactly!?

hmm well i'll give you the homework i have tonight as an example.
    I had to write a 5 page response to Patrick Kavanagh's poem Canal bank walk, advent, a christmas childhood and epic for English. I spent 20 minutes doing Math homework on vectors, i had to do a tape exercise in French and write half a page on animal cruelty, I have to revise my comparative texts this week (taking ages :eek:), I had to summarize the light dependent and light independent stage in Biology, I had write about the one child policy in China for geography.. shall i continue? :rolleyes:

Well it's not 4 hours everynight (i had it pretty rough tonight) , it varies from 2-5 hours, depending on how generous my teachers are feeling... and i'm a slow writer :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

hmm well i'll give you the homework i have tonight as an example.
    I had to write a 5 page response to Patrick Kavanagh's poem Canal bank walk, advent, a christmas childhood and epic for English. I spent 20 minutes doing Math homework on vectors, i had to do a tape exercise in French and write half a page on animal cruelty, I have to revise my comparative texts this week (taking ages :eek:), I had to summarize the light dependent and light independent stage in Biology, I had write about the one child policy in China for geography.. shall i continue? :rolleyes:

Well it's not 4 hours everynight (i had it pretty rough tonight) , it varies from 2-5 hours, depending on how generous my teachers are feeling... and i'm a slow writer :o.

That is madness. Do you realise it's september? Steady on. You'll have yourself burned out before christmas. Under no circumstances should you ever do more than 2 hours in a night. I got 550 last year and I can tell you now that I never did more than 1 hour per night until after christmas. Between christmas and june i stepped it up to maybe 2 hours a night. But that was it. Your doing 4 hours every night in september!!

I appreciate most people do more work than I do but even still anything over 2 hours is excessive. Even if the teachers give you 4 hours of homework each night just refuse to do it. Just do homework for 2 hours each night and then finish. Get as much as you can done in that amount of time and then leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

Personally, I found the more I looked at my papers..the more I have realised the LC isnt that daunting.
    Hopefullly anyway. But thats how Im planning to study
    Cross fingers!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    Personally, I found the more I looked at my papers..the more I have realised the LC isnt that daunting.
    Hopefullly anyway. But thats how Im planning to study
    Cross fingers!:rolleyes:

I'm the opposite. Everytime i look at the i get more and more worried! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

did business and french today. spent about 3 hours on business and 45 minutes on french.
    i know chapters 1-8 in business pretty much off by heart, i really would want to be getting an a now or at the least a b1. on saturday will probably get upto chapter 12, which i'd be happy with.
    french just did oral, got a midterm report in and was informed i may be underestimating the work needed:rolleyes:

tommorow probably history, will just be spent knowing the 1916 risisng, cumann na ngael consolidating democracy and restoring law and order, ireland during ww2, anglo irish treaty negotiations and perhaps that SF essay which i havent looked at. then do a cultural context essay i have to do for english and a little bit of maths.

will go gym beforehand tho then library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

Anyone feel like they have no time left already?
    7months isnt that much with school takin up most of the days like:(

:eek:I MUST NOT PANIC!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    Anyone feel like they have no time left already?
    7months isnt that much with school takin up most of the days like:(

:eek:I MUST NOT PANIC!!!!

You have an obscene amount of time left, just dont waste it on Boards like I and lots of other forum members!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

they never work for me. I just open up the book and get down to what i have to do.

Advertisement