Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gtx 275 or Radeon HD4890?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Title says it really. Leaning towards the 4890 cos of the price and the good reviews, but what do you guys think ? Also power's no problem and neither is case size.

4890: €162
    Gtx 275: €184 Thoughts ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd go with the 4890. With the 275gtx you're relying on games to be optimised for sli. If you can wait I think the 5000 series cards are being announced/released soon. If so it could cause a price drop in the existing cards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I have a 4890 and I'm dead happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Neither, the 5870 is coming very soon, it supports directX11 and has 6 video out ports for Eyefinity. Its a die shrink so its gonna be 20-25% faster than the 4890 and priced at around $300 (whatever that works out at here)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd go with the 4890. With the 275gtx you're relying on games to be optimised for sli.

How so? It's not an X2 card.

I've a 275 myself and can't fault it but looking at those prices I would go with the ATi card. I think both cards are quite evenly matched.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

5uspect wrote: »
    How so? It's not an X2 card.

I've a 275 myself and can't fault it but looking at those prices I would go with the ATi card. I think both cards are quite evenly matched.
    D'oh! You're right. I was thinking of the 295 for some reason. Stupid brain isn't working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 I Urban I

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I think I'll be going with the 4890 and as for the 5870 when it comes out, $300 is slightly :rolleyes: over my budget.

I Urban I wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I think I'll be going with the 4890 and as for the 5870 when it comes out, $300 is slightly :rolleyes: over my budget.

Eh, dollars man, $300 is €205, its being marketed at the current 4890 price to keep the pressure on Nvidia, the price of the 4890 will also drop once this is released.......therefore its not wise to buy a 4890 now

Ah yes, forgot the dollar was so weak:p. Does anyone know the official release date ? A quick google search says Novemberish.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, dollars man, $300 is €205, its being marketed at the current 4890 price to keep the pressure on Nvidia, the price of the 4890 will also drop once this is released.......therefore its not wise to buy a 4890 now
    You're forgetting that us europeans usually get gyped with the old dollar to euro conversion when products get released here.

• Advertisement

Why not wait for the pricedrop on the 4890

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Regardless of what you intend buying. buy nothing now. Next gen is out in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Why not wait for the pricedrop on the 4890

Guys the 5870 will be way more than €200 when released!
    Cards are priced by performance, if the 5870 is that much better and "better than a 295" then it'll be more around the €300 mark. the prices of the 4890 and 4870 have already gone down a huge amount in the last 6 or so months...

I don't see them suddenly dropping cause of a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

For the sake of waiting 2 weeks for 5800's to be released you can find out for yourself if they will.

Course the price will drop with the introduction of a new gen. You may even get one second hand at a good price. I'll be selling a 4870x2 as I've decided I'm going back to a single gpu.

Yeah I think i'll wait since it's only two weeks. If it's past my budget, i'll get the 4890 (if the price drops or not since i can find it now on the cheap anyway.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

No pricedrops yet on the 4890 on dabs.ie or komplett.ie

Pixmania is the cheapest at €145
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2627053/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-gddr5.html

I think the 4870 has gone down in price though!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206

Less than €120 delivered...

Hmmmm Xfire is calling

Effluo wrote: »
    Guys the 5870 will be way more than €200 when released!
    Cards are priced by performance, if the 5870 is that much better and "better than a 295" then it'll be more around the €300 mark. the prices of the 4890 and 4870 have already gone down a huge amount in the last 6 or so months...

I don't see them suddenly dropping cause of a new card.

Oh Sweet!!! Just realised i was right!

woot
    You guys SUCK!
    lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im always wary of new lines. Their drivers are almost always bugged for one. And look at Dx10 - I did meself no favors by jumping in early - that **** was definitely NOT optimized for it, nor are there still many dx10 offerings going on. Much less dx11. I dont consider it a selling point this year.

Id wait for the new line to come out and get a price drop on the 4800 series. Im wary of Nvidia. Theyve burned me and I wont be trusting them again until theyve gotten their act together.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I've actually went for the XFX 5850 in the end - €216 - and no problems with it yet. It's at 775/1175, using Ati tool. I'd go higher but hey when it's the first time doing something you gotta take it slow, right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Effluo wrote: »
    I think the 4870 has gone down in price though!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206

Less than €120 delivered...

Hmmmm Xfire is calling

I am a patient man, I can wait another few months. :D

* Licks lips

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

iv been looking at the gtx 285 2gig.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=448649

not buying anything till january.

cuppa wrote: »
    iv been looking at the gtx 285 2gig.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=448649

not buying anything till january.

Pointless when it doesn't use the extra memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Pointless when it doesn't use the extra memory

Gta IV easily would at high res and everything on max :)

That's the only one I can think of though at the moment that would use the 2Gb memory.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Gta IV easily would at high res and everything on max :)

That's the only one I can think of though at the moment that would use the 2Gb memory.
    But can that card physically use more than 1GB vram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

But can that card physically use more than 1GB vram?

Yes it can, but at the expense of lower clocks I believe.

I've a GTX 285 1GB, they are a great card. Specifically I have the Gainward Cao Cao which makes for a decent overclocker too. However the prices for them have gone up since i bought mine 6 months ago. Which is daft, no way I'd pay that much for a DX10 card. Get a 5850 instead.

I was hoping to get another after Christmas on the cheap thinking by then Fermi will be out and the pricewar restarted... and then NVIDIA go and mess up their first die...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Dont know what to get now. my bfg 8800gtx 768mb is comming up to 4 years old.
    I did not feel it worth upgrading to a 1gig card.

Putting pc back together after my 2 wd 150gig raptors failed.well 1 is dead the other is on its way.
    spinmaster just arrived in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cuppa wrote: »
    Dont know what to get now. my bfg 8800gtx 768mb is comming up to 4 years old.
    I did not feel it worth upgrading to a 1gig card.

It's the speed, number of a cores and overall that's important. The amount of memory really doesn't matter much beyond 1GB as bandwidth limitations make it difficult to fully utilise it.

as for whether it's worth it in terms of value: here (and here) are some direct comparison's between the two cards. The GTX is basically bandwidth limited (primarily by having GDDR3 memory in it I believe) which caps the performance to about 2 times what you'd see in that 8800GTX.

Overall the HD5850 is the one to go for. It costs considerably less than the GTX285 and outperforms it by a significant margin to boot.

Pisses me off tbh that I spent so much on a GTX285, but being able to develop for CUDA was important to me at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Hard to find a HD5850 instock and also at a good price.

Advertisement