Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of the prom.

Options
  • 12-09-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Im just in from a glorious day out on the beach in salthill,and i cant believe the state of the place.Every bin was full with rubbish and people were just leaving rubbish next to or on top of the bins.I know it was busy today but they were full at 1 oclock. Are the council unable to deal with a sunny day in galway and empty a few bins?
    Also the public toilets werent working either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kinetic wrote: »

No wonder the bins were full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Galway county council can't deal with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Walked along the prom last night and saw a massive rat run across the beach and in under the rocks. Tends to be a lot of rats around the cladagh just before dusk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galway county council can't deal with anything.

It's Galway City Council's patch; i still agree with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Im just in from a glorious day out on the beach in salthill,and i cant believe the state of the place.Every bin was full with rubbish and people were just leaving rubbish next to or on top of the bins.I know it was busy today but they were full at 1 oclock. Are the council unable to deal with a sunny day in galway and empty a few bins?

galway is terrible when it comes to public toilets. even in the city there are only three cubicles in the square. completely inadequate. most pubs don't cherish non customers using their toilets.

rubbish bins aren't exactly widespread. Nimo's pier is a lovely place on a sunny evening, but does not have a single rubbish bin.

• Advertisement

gary82 wrote: »
    Walked along the prom last night and saw a massive rat run across the beach and in under the rocks. Tends to be a lot of rats around the cladagh just before dusk too.

rats are where people are. i swim with the rats and still have to get weil's disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gary82 wrote: »
    Walked along the prom last night and saw a massive rat run across the beach and in under the rocks.

How many legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    galway is terrible when it comes to public toilets. even in the city there are only three cubicles in the square. completely inadequate. most pubs don't cherish non customers using their toilets.

rubbish bins aren't exactly widespread. Nimo's pier is a lovely place on a sunny evening, but does not have a single rubbish bin.

Ireland in general is pretty bad as far as public toilets are concerned. I think the plan is to encourage you to become a customer of one of the establishments around.

Beautiful sunny days are pretty rare, I can kind of understand the council not having the staff, trucks etc standing by just in case they get a lovely day and thus a major increase in the amount of rubbish to be collected.

Perhaps we need a city-code, like the wilderness-code, of "pack it in, pack it out" ;)

JustMary wrote: »
    Ireland in general is pretty bad as far as public toilets are concerned. I think the plan is to encourage you to become a customer of one of the establishments around.

Beautiful sunny days are pretty rare, I can kind of understand the council not having the staff, trucks etc standing by just in case they get a lovely day and thus a major increase in the amount of rubbish to be collected.

Perhaps we need a city-code, like the wilderness-code, of "pack it in, pack it out" ;)

some towns especially those that get a lot of tourits have decent public toilets. clifden for example. galway city isn't interested in provding such services.
    tourism is important for galway and its safe to say that galwegians make a fortune from tourists. they therefore need to provide adequate staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

I saw it too,it was an absolute disgrace, anyone visiting galway would certainly be left with an impression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

have they drinking fountains along the promenade there?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    some towns especially those that get a lot of tourits have decent public toilets. clifden for example. galway city isn't interested in provding such services.
    tourism is important for galway and its safe to say that galwegians make a fortune from tourists. they therefore need to provide adequate staff.

We dont have public toilets because people will not respect them and will destroy them as soon as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If the bins are full is it really all that hard for people to bring their rubbish home with them? I can understand there may be a few instances where this is not possible but majority of occasions it should be no problem.Just put it into a carrier bag and take it home with you or hang onto it until you come across a bin that's not full.I know for some people it may be too uncool to be seen carrying a rubbish bag but hey i don't feel exactly cool carry a bag of my dogs mess but at least i bothered to clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Walked the prom yesterday and was disgusted with the amount of dog s..t left on it, dog owners just dont care, it was terrible to see it on one of the few fine days we had this summer with so many people walking on the prom with kids, also on the beach was tons of dirty smelly seaweed forcing sunbathers to sit on rocks or the few available spots of sand that were available.

Surely its not beyond reason that Galway City Council would have seen the weather forecast and got out the machines that clean the beaches they would have left a great impression on any visitor to Salthill but as usual we have been let down by the people who run our City all the beaches along the prom were a complete mess no lovely white sand to be seen anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Document1

I live near the bay on Salt Hill but I never realised that those beaches are supposed to be clean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I was thinking about this again,and its just not good enough.Whoever is in charge of the city council should be interviewed and made explain why the prom was allowed to turn into a sh.t littered walkway for a day.

I was thinking about this again,and its just not good enough.Whoever is in charge of the city council should be interviewed and made explain why the prom was allowed to turn into a sh.t littered walkway for a day.

you should take pictures and send them into the tribune. better still talk to joe. if galway is shamed nationally action will be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

I had to laugh, walking the prom on Saturday and heard sirens coming up behind us down by the tourist office, a fire engine with the blues and twos on pushed its way through the traffic i then saw a squad car up on the foot path at the roundabout. Said to the wife there must be a crash at the roundabout got closer and saw fire firemen two guards standing around a bin that was smoking abit one fire man draws out his hose and proceeds to spray the **** out of the bin. People were standing with there jaws down around there knees in bewilderment and others pissing themselves laughing at this carry on. I wonder does the council get the bill for the fire engine callout or the guards for calling them out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

DD67 wrote: »
    I had to laugh, walking the prom on Saturday and heard sirens coming up behind us down by the tourist office, a fire engine with the blues and twos on pushed its way through the traffic i then saw a squad car up on the foot path at the roundabout. Said to the wife there must be a crash at the roundabout got closer and saw fire firemen two guards standing around a bin that was smoking abit one fire man draws out his hose and proceeds to spray the **** out of the bin. People were standing with there jaws down around there knees in bewilderment and others pissing themselves laughing at this carry on. I wonder does the council get the bill for the fire engine callout or the guards for calling them out. :pac:

I seen them whizzing out too and presumed there must have been an accident. Well thankfully there wasn't an accident, but wow aren't they mighty to respond so quickly to what could have been a traumatic incident what with all those rats being killed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Saw a huge rat yesterday running across the Grattan Rd near Fr Burke Rd. I stood there gawping, and then two more smaller ones. Blink and you'd miss them. I assume there is a connection with the sewage plant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

That has to be a record a thread 14 years old ressurected

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nope they are water rats loads of them in the rocks around the prom used to see them when fishing for Mackeral darting in and out of the rocks when I was a young .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

First rat in almost 15 years. That's not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

Yeah often see them popping in and out from the rocks, especially in the late evenings.

Had a rat appear at my feet when sitting at the ladies beach coffee place a few weeks ago, it was hanging out under the seats and picking up crumbs.

Advertisement