Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you spend on a suit?

• 12-09-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I have to buy 4 suits for work that can take a bit of general day to day wear and tear.

I was looking at suits in M&S today which vary from €200 - €300 but I was also in Louis Copeland looking at a few Strellson suits which were very nice but they're twice the price, multiply that by four and it's close to 2 grand.

How much would you spend on suit or any suggestions where to buy them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

I like "next" suits. Around the €200 mark and fairly durable. I also like bertoni (best for slim builds), but probably closer to the €300 mark, and heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Defo shop around.There are alot of places with half price sales.I recently picked a gorgeous suit,shirt and tie for 180 quids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thunderdan

Shop around alright, but why dont you buy 2-3 generic, and then 1-2 good quality suits? Always good to have 1 suit that makes you feel great...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I spent nearly €400 on my current suit. It fits like a glove and makes me feel good.

If I had to wear ones for work I would be going to place like Debenhams and Next to get some good everyday suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd idealy spend 500ish on a work suit with the money availible, though I'd prefer to be spending the 1500 mark. I'm hard on clothes, so I know I'd fly through the suit though, bespoke or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Depends, got myself a couple of suits from best menswear 2-300. Got one in Dun Laoghaire beside bloomfields, my very first suit for €400 but got myself 4 CK suits in NY for $700 last october, most likely will go back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How much would I spend? As much as I could afford. If you're in a job where a suit is a requirement then looking good is a requirement and a good suit makes a difference IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Khannie wrote: »
    How much would I spend? As much as I could afford. If you're in a job where a suit is a requirement then looking good is a requirement and a good suit makes a difference IMO.

+1 I have to wear either suits or dresses for work and I've found that spending money on well fitting suits/dresses means they last longer, fit better, and I feel good in them.

Generally a good suit will last me the best part of three years, and whilst I might spend up to €500 initially, given that I'll wear it approx. 150 times in those three years, that's €3.33 per wear. If I buy a Dunnes/Next suit, I'll get far less wear out of them albeit for a much lower price (maybe 30 wears?) and cost wise it will be the same.

Now I'm a funny size and leg length and I find it easier to buy more expensive suits as they fit better, but imo they are worth the investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'd go with Debenham's or M&S. Debenhams have a sale on this weekend also. Arnotts can also be good if you are in Dublin.

My advice because I'm guessing at the moment you don't wear a suit, spend between two and three hundred each at the moment and try Louis Copeland at a later stage, they have nice stuff be you do pay that bit extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Self employed now so don't have to wear a suit every day anymore but anyhoo.

Buy 2 suits, in "grown up" colours - dark blue and charcoal grey are the best, black can look like a funeral. Then buy a range of shirts and ties, with 8 or 9 ties and a range of different shirts styles no one will notice you are cycling through the same two suits. Go for simple, classical styling, single breasted, no turnups, aim for style not fashion. Some people buy 2 pairs of trousers with each jacket as trousers often wear faster than jackets.

For white shirts you might as well go cheap - I can never get them to stay that sharp bright white. Most of my shirts are blue/white, small check or gingham style looks well with a dark suit. Look here for some ideas. Always go double cuff, never short sleved or with a pocket.

Ties you can buy a bundle cheaply and add a really nice classicly styled designer tie every couple of months. And don't forget the polished shoes!

I bought a YSL suit for the equivalent of a week and a bits wages when I first started working and - over a decade later - it's still in the wardrobe and (as teh only black suit I own!) it gets puled out for funerals and looks fine. Last buy was a Boss suit from BT. I can't remember how much I paid but it was a lot, but its a really simple style and won't go out of fashion so I can see myself wearing it for years.

Cheap suits *always* look cheap and cheap suits never buy credibility. You want the people you deal with to think of you as on the ball and professional - if your trouser knees are shiny and the elbow on your jacket is threadbare then you won't project the right image. Spend as much on 2 good suits as you would 3 cheaper ones and put the rest into quality shirts, ties, shoes and cufflinks. Get a couple of quality bits and pad out with cheaper and buy a really good item every couple of months and you will be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am not a fan of Bests.

I am with those who say 300 plus.

I have a few CK suits and they are hard wearing and good.I would buy in Louis Copeland rather than M&S.

Look out for Bertoni sales and special offers you can pick up a decent suit for 150 in their sale. I have lots of good shirts and tend to avoid M&S, Dunnes and vPenneys for shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

As much as I possibly could is my answer.

Shallow or not I hold with my old man's theory that the clothes maketh the man. People respect a good suit.

Places like Ted Baker, etc, can do nice cheap suits if you're young. Also, a good option is buying them abroad if possible. Certain countries do 'em for much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i only wear zegna suits, you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

I'd spend €40 on a no brand, no name, very well fitting suit before Id spend €400+ on some brand name where the shoulders are too big or the ass sags.

What im trying to say is, spend as much as is needed to get a suit with a great fit, EVERYTHING else is secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not get a suit tailor made .... so .... it will actually fit properly..... know a couple of guys who set up an online business (I dont know if its still running or not - I guess so) ....but they were measuring and getting suits tailored.

Cant remember the website name - but should have one of the lads business cards somewhere.... will post the details (website name) ...if I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm a bit weird in that I wear jeans to work and get changed into a suit when I get home or go out. I like a suit. :)
    I pay a minimum of €500 for a suit because that is the cheapest bespoke suit I've managed to find (An Online tailor). Off the rail and altered dosen't work for me, I end up with a suit that looks likes it's been altered to make it fit...if that makes sense.
    For a proper working wardrobe I have always figured that you need 5 suits and a handful of jackets to mix it up a bit. What --amadeus-- said in his post makes lots of sense, re-read his post and use it.
    Remember that you don't have to buy all your suits at once. Get two suits now and get another one every few months after that, and in a year you'll have 5 suits.
    Don't skimp on accessories. Shoes , ties, cufflinks, belts, braces. Don't make a good suit look cheap by using a plastic belt or scruffy, worn, down at heel shoes.
    Always think classic before fashionalbe. When you have a base wardrobe built then you can go mad with fashion suits.
    Don't get hung up on labels! Very few people can tell an Armani from a generic Bests suit tbh. When you have the basics then you can go for lables if you want to.

Finally, remember to ask questions in F&A. Lots of good suit discussions there.:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

My da bought a boss suit a few years back. It is amazing and still looks stylish. I've tried it on and love it. Really want my own.

Great advice here lads

There is some great value out there but you have to know where to buy and what to shop for.

Amadeus is right - accessorise correctly -shoes, belts and cuff links. I dont really like Next but their shirts are great in my size.

Shoes - I have spent 200 on a pair a few years back which were a fantastic buy.I bought a Hugo Boss wool coat and its the business.

Suits - I have a Dax that I love. I can be hard on suits and will buy 5 every year or so. I go for a fashionable cut so M & S are not for me ever.

A suit should sit right and pay particular attention to the shoulders and their finish. On a jacket pick the style you like. I dont like double breasted. A suit jacket should button up. A 4 button jacket all the way or leave it open - 3 button only the centre button. So see how it looks the way it is intended to be worn.

The same with the trousers - how is the seat -you dont want a saggy arse but its important that the feel right if you "dress" from the right or left (ballroom).So funtionality too -if you wear a suit in an office see what it feels like sitting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Defo shop around.There are alot of places with half price sales.I recently picked a gorgeous suit,shirt and tie for 180 quids.

Where was that?

Self employed now so don't have to wear a suit every day anymore but anyhoo.

Buy 2 suits, in "grown up" colours - dark blue and charcoal grey are the best, black can look like a funeral. Then buy a range of shirts and ties, with 8 or 9 ties and a range of different shirts styles no one will notice you are cycling through the same two suits. Go for simple, classical styling, single breasted, no turnups, aim for style not fashion. Some people buy 2 pairs of trousers with each jacket as trousers often wear faster than jackets.

For white shirts you might as well go cheap - I can never get them to stay that sharp bright white. Most of my shirts are blue/white, small check or gingham style looks well with a dark suit. Look here for some ideas. Always go double cuff, never short sleved or with a pocket.

Ties you can buy a bundle cheaply and add a really nice classicly styled designer tie every couple of months. And don't forget the polished shoes!

I bought a YSL suit for the equivalent of a week and a bits wages when I first started working and - over a decade later - it's still in the wardrobe and (as teh only black suit I own!) it gets puled out for funerals and looks fine. Last buy was a Boss suit from BT. I can't remember how much I paid but it was a lot, but its a really simple style and won't go out of fashion so I can see myself wearing it for years.

Cheap suits *always* look cheap and cheap suits never buy credibility. You want the people you deal with to think of you as on the ball and professional - if your trouser knees are shiny and the elbow on your jacket is threadbare then you won't project the right image. Spend as much on 2 good suits as you would 3 cheaper ones and put the rest into quality shirts, ties, shoes and cufflinks. Get a couple of quality bits and pad out with cheaper and buy a really good item every couple of months and you will be grand :)

Good stuff here, why no pockets on the shirts tho?

Also, I'm not a big fan of the double cuffs and links, it's too celtic tiger nouveau riche for my taste. I can see them now, thirty something males wearing pink shirts with white cuffs and collars, no tie, 2 shirt buttons open and to top it off a pair of brown Italian leather shoes.

Spot on about the polished shoes and belt. The real reason I like the shirt pocket is because I like to keep a pen in there and the cuffs are not practicle for me as I like to roll up my sleeves in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Where was that?
    frewyn and aleward (spelling) in dun laoghaire have some suits at 50% off at the moment.

If you are going to go for cuff-links then double cuffs are really nice. You really shouldn't be afraid of looking well.

Be practical.Pockets are for casual shirts etc where you don't wear a jacket- when I worked in sales I had lots of sleeveless white shirts with pockets and wore them with suits. The reason being cuffs got dirty and sleeves got in the way.

A doctor or dentist with a tie and shirt sleeves is a health hazard.
    No use wearing Armani if you are visiting a building site.

Also - look out for standard suits that a worn in your occupation. Chartered accountants often wear blue pinstripe and lawyers grey/charcoal pinstripe.They do so out of professional image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Good stuff here, why no pockets on the shirts tho?

It depends on who you want to look like this or this :D

I suppose it depends on circumstances and where you work. I began work in the City so I've always liked classical English styling but comfort is important. If you feel uncomfortable or self concious in something then no matter how good it looks on the hanger you won't look good in it.

Good advice from CD & Old Goat there as well. We should set up "forum eye for the scruffy guy"... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Bargain bin in Arnotts (or somwhere like Pennys/Dunnes) or charity shop only.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Bargain bin in Arnotts (or somwhere like Pennys/Dunnes) or charity shop only.

This would merit a Troll Alert in F&A .........as in dresses like a :D

Anyone ever bought a Suit in TW Lewin on South Ann Street? They're doing some good deals at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

On the slighlty upper end of the scale ...

I recently spent E900 on a Gieves and Hawkes :O I don't recommend it ... you feel good for the few hours a year you wear it, but dirty and wasteful the rest of the time.

There is (or recently was) an amazing 3 piece in Ted Baker on Grafton St. for E500, but it really is a very nice suit.

Abrahams told me you could get one made at the moment for about E600 because the material is so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CDfm wrote: »
    Also - look out for standard suits that a worn in your occupation. Chartered accountants often wear blue pinstripe and lawyers grey/charcoal pinstripe.They do so out of professional image.
    Interesting. Never looked at it that way. Got a suit maybe 5 years ago in River Island for €150'ish. Have worn the same one since. Only wear it at weddings, interviews, etc. Have gone through a few shirts, though.

the_syco wrote: »
    Interesting. Never looked at it that way. Got a suit maybe 5 years ago in River Island for €150'ish. Have worn the same one since. Only wear it at weddings, interviews, etc. Have gone through a few shirts, though.

In some occupations going for interviews it may not matter( a technical interview) but in others it will. If you are trying to give an image that you are successful in your current role and will fit in /blend in your next one it can be important - like will you scrub up well to meet a major client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I spent a fair whack on an armani last year. Could claim part of it back which is why I went the extra yard mile.

It looks class. Worth it imho.

Advertisement