Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much would you spend on a suit?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OldGoat wrote: »
    Never bought a suit there but they are my first stop for everyday shirts. Good quality at a reasonable price. I just wish that they would do another collar type.

+1 on the shirts there, for womens suits they have the trousers unhemmed until you buy them which is handy if you need a particular or unusual length, dunno if they do the same for men, I'd assume they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Does anyone have any thoughts on John Rocha suits?

Also, can anyone give the name of a Tailor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I saved up €500 to spend on my first suit, went into Brown Thomas tried on a couple and found the best fit, look etc was Hugo Boss...but it cost €800!

Went online to Hugo Boss and the same suit was on sale for €240 but they don't deliver to Ireland so I rented a p.o box in england for €25 and had the suit delivered there and for another €20 had them send it on to Dublin.

So paid €290 for a suit BT were selling for €800 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

What's the opinion on Baumler suits, think they're in Dawson street. Need to buy three new ones seeing as the shoulders and arms are a bit too tight in the ones I currently have! I can also get a bit of a discount and extras thrown in for free so thinking of there instead of Louis Copeland et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have had Baumler suits and they are well made and hard wearing usually 100% wool. They are more of a classic cut rather than high fashion.

The one I had I threw out after 5 or 6 years as it wouldnt die;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

macy9 wrote: »
    I saved up €500 to spend on my first suit, went into Brown Thomas tried on a couple and found the best fit, look etc was Hugo Boss...but it cost €800!

Went online to Hugo Boss and the same suit was on sale for €240 but they don't deliver to Ireland so I rented a p.o box in england for €25 and had the suit delivered there and for another €20 had them send it on to Dublin.

So paid €290 for a suit BT were selling for €800 :pac:
    What company did you use for the PO Box in England? Did you rent it on a once-off basis or was it a monthly charge?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a few on-line, but they seem more expensive than what you paid (about £70stg a month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

i only wear zegna suits, you get what you pay for.

€750+

anything less looks cheap,
    and an expensive suit is expensive for a reason,
    it fulfills many obligations,
    it makes you feel comfortable in your own clothes,
    it looks good,
    it keeps it shape,
    it says all the right things about you,
    without you having to say it for yourself.
    First impressions count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I've only ever bought good suits the last one was a fitted black pin stripe Kenneth Cole from the US. Still going strong and still looks dang good. That with a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes came in at around $600. Suit before that was about 400 in a sale.

For the love of god get a decent shirt with removable stays and that take cuff links. Nothing worse than a shirt were the collar is "curling" due to the plastic stays getting messed up in the wash. The cuff links are just a personal thing I like but they do work very well with a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

As several have said, shop around. Anything you find in the likes of Copelands or BTs you'll find elsewhere with a hundred or two knocked off.

Ideally, get a suit or two made. Fair Brothers will sort you out. Nothing, absolutely nothing off the rack is going to fit as well or look as good as a properly tailored suit.

• Advertisement

A handmade suit is nice.Realistically what are you going to be doing that warrants them.

Like lots of people I am slim and a tailor can adjust most good quailty suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Their rates are pretty good. Certainly competitive with the more expensive off the racks.

As to what warrants them, well, it's all shades of grey and relative. For some, a suit out of Penneys is all that's warranted. For others, having HB on the inside of the collar is more important than the workmanship.

And I'm saying this as someone who works in the trade. My bread and butter is altering off the rack suits. ;)

Edit: No, not associated through business with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I bought a John Rocha sports jacket in debenhams today. I noticed the vent on the back of the jacket is sown together at the end, am i supposed to cut this cause the stitching looks like its not meant to be cut???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This should just be a temporary stitch holding the vent closed for display. Snip it so he vents opens and the jacket hangs properly.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Was in with Paul in Abrahams this morning. Picked up two lovely Italian wool suits in a sale for €950 which includes the tailoring. Lovely, lovely fit. I'd tried a few places beforehand and the moment I tried on the suits you could tell the difference in quality. The pre-sale price combined was €1500 odd.

Can't speak highly enough of the service I received though, I must of tried on about 7 or 8 different jackets with lots of adjustments being made to see how each one sat. From trying on so many he was able to pick out both suits that need only the smallest of tailoring. It's definitely worth paying the extra for if you value the experience and service aspect of purchasing the suit. He wasn't a hard seller either, told me of a couple of places where I could pick up other items for a bit cheaper seeing as I was starting out again.

Maybe the mods should do a sticky for menswear recommendations. Everyone knows the likes of M&S, Next, Bests but the smaller independents offer a service that none of those can touch in my opinion! Walking around Dawson Street and a couple of others off Grafton Street today I spotted a ton of menswear shops that I never even knew existed.

Some FCUK suits in TKMAXX Swords for 99 euro but you would need to be a rugby player build or a farmer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement