Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband

Options
  • 12-09-2009 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I currently have 2mb Imagine broadband and am thinking of switching to NTL. Have NTL tv package already. Has anyone else switched over to NTL yet and is it any good?

Thanks,

Mili

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

miliwalsh wrote: »
    Hi,

I currently have 2mb Imagine broadband and am thinking of switching to NTL. Have NTL tv package already. Has anyone else switched over to NTL yet and is it any good?

Thanks,

Mili

Be careful of them offering you wild speeds. A lot of places round here cant take more than 4mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Have had NTL/UPC since it was first available in Charlesland and haven't had a single problem with it. Have the 10mb package and it never drops below 9mb.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Have had NTL/UPC since it was first available in Charlesland and haven't had a single problem with it. Have the 10mb package and it never drops below 9mb.

Im only going on what NTL told me when i said i was going over to BT. BT lady checked the connection and she also said it wasnt more than 4. They never seem to give the right info.

As far as i know you are right about only getting a top speed of 3/4mb in Chalesland but that's on broadband through a phone line. Something to do with how far we are from the Greystones exchange.

NTL/UPC on the other hand are providing BB through the cable system which is better imo. The BB forum is full of useful information. As i said above i have had NTL/UPC since they where first available here and at one stage i was getting speeds upto 50mb. Complete blunder on their behalf but i enjoyed it while it lasted. So they are the fastest and cheapest provider in Charlesland + they have the capability to go even faster and wipe the floor with the other providers that supply Charlesland.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/563934188.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]563934188.png

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

We were previously on BT 3mb business line, as damo9090 pointed out Charlesland won't be able to get much better than 4mb due to the distance from the greystones exchange.
    UPC is the best option and it's better value than Eircom or BT current offerings.

The guys from UPC that came to enable BB & Phone at our place said that they will roll out 50mb BB in this area at the end of the year. I'm already on 20mb and it's been very fast & reliable so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I looked the UPC package...they don't do free calls to UK mainland off peak, which I need (BT and UTV Talk do). If that doesn't bother you then UPC is not a bad offer.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I am with Eircom and want to move over to NTL, will i lose BB and phone during the changeover ? I was with Perlico before and it was a NIGHTMARE to change that time. I wonder will it be the same this time ?

Damo9090 wrote: »
    As far as i know you are right about only getting a top speed of 3/4mb in Chalesland but that's on broadband through a phone line. Something to do with how far we are from the Greystones exchange.

NTL/UPC on the other hand are providing BB through the cable system which is better imo. The BB forum is full of useful information. As i said above i have had NTL/UPC since they where first available here and at one stage i was getting speeds upto 50mb. Complete blunder on their behalf but i enjoyed it while it lasted. So they are the fastest and cheapest provider in Charlesland + they have the capability to go even faster and wipe the floor with the other providers that supply Charlesland.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/563934188.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]563934188.png

Do you have to be signed up to their TV to get it through the cable?

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Do you have to be signed up to their TV to get it through the cable?

No ciaran you dont but you pay extra for BB by its self.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I am with Eircom and want to move over to NTL, will i lose BB and phone during the changeover ? I was with Perlico before and it was a NIGHTMARE to change that time. I wonder will it be the same this time ?

It's a different system (TV cable instead of phone line) so you can keep Eircom until the NTL is up and running and then cancel it.

You may have an issue with a long term contract with Eircom however. I wouldn't mind making this change myself but I only recently agreed a new contract with Eircom. NTL mentioned something about ways/help to get out of it, but I didn't pursue it further. If anyone has any insights on that angle, I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement

That's great, I have been with Eircom for over a year, so it should be no problem to change. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

...you can keep Eircom until the NTL is up and running and then cancel it.

Ideally you want to be able to bring across your existing number. The question is, how long is the period between your phone line number transferring to your cabled phone service

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Good point, anyone out there know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

a couple of weeks i think, i just got a new number, 10Mb line and ntl plus.

broadband service is good, plus service ok, think i might just drop the phone though cos i just don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 miliwalsh

Thanks for your replies everyone. Will defo be switching over when Irish broadband contract up. Won't be getting phone though, no need for house phone with mobiles.

If only i could get BB only, I have to have a phone line as the mobile reception is really crap here in Seabourne. I have tried all the providers too. Meteor is the best. Must be the thick walls in the place as there is a base station across the road.
    Thanks all for the advice

If only i could get BB only, I have to have a phone line as the mobile reception is really crap here in Seabourne. I have tried all the providers too. Meteor is the best. Must be the thick walls in the place as there is a base station across the road.
    Thanks all for the advice

You can get BB as a standalone but its extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

I have been on UPC for 9 months, only went down twice and even then it was only down for around 20 mins. They give you a free wireless router which is quite handy.
    Someone on here mentioned they are upgrading the lines to 50 mb/s by the end of this year, but also they are upgrading to 120mb/s by autumn 2010, as opposed to eircoms blocking some sites and extortionate prices for what you get its a no brainer.

Advertisement