Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone Met Eireann webapp.

• 12-09-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

I was playing about with JQTouch today.
    I put together a small webapp using MET Eireann's images.
    Does it work OK for you?

Type this link into iPhones safari: tinyurl.com/meteira
    Once it loads, click "add to home screen".
    From your home screen it should launch correctly then.

UPDATES Mon-14-Sept
    >>Added "weather in brief" information
    >>Added radar sequences (they are not displaying properly at the moment, I know the issue and it will be fixed when the web-app is finally finished.)

>>Home screen icon and loading graphic updated with correct M.É. logo.

all in all its progress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'll give this a go later and report back to you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just tried it.

Good, a pity the maps and rader can not be zoomed into to give more detail in a particular area.

It would be useful to get access to the weather forcasts.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Ulster

as text.

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

dingding wrote: »
    Just tried it.

Good, a pity the maps and rader can not be zoomed into to give more detail in a particular area.

It would be useful to get access to the weather forcasts.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Ulster

as text.

Well done

I've emailed met éireann to see if they would like to help me make it bigger, the only way to get that info is with an iframe and at the moment And it loads the whole webpage. What I would like to do is create localized info & images also- maybe having some webcams and the animated radar also.

There is no point in zooming in either as their images are so low quality it would be of no use.

I got an email from MET Éireann this morning and they are open to me doing this. Ive made some small changes - added "weather in brief" information and radar sequences(although they are not displaying properly at the moment, I know the issue and it will be fixed when the web-app is finally finished)

all in all its progress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I access the MET site regularly on my iPhone.

Couple of things:
    The animated radar chart seems misaligned in my browser.
    Would prefer to see a chart of Ireland just for temps, rain, etc.

But nice work overall! :)

• Advertisement

Im planning on doing somemore work on this in the coming days, hopefully speeding it up by only having the bare necessities load ie. a little text and a single image, the rest will load when the user selects it.

I did a bit of an update over the past few days, just put the latest version online.

Ive removed all unnecessary bits of code from the last one,
    although I have not stripped it down to the bare essentials as I had said as things dont function correctly then.

The animated radar still is not sorted out. The reason being is that the source for the sequence of images is the met eireann webpage. They are being loaded into my web-app inside a window which is smaller than the images are, which crops them. The solution is for met eireann to make either make the images smaller (which involves changing one line of code on that specific webpage) or to provide me with an alternative version which I can link to.

But it's faster and hopefully better.

Loading times on a 3g connection are 13seconds, and on an edge connection are 28seconds.

met.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

working on the iTouch 2G anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭rje66

is there an update on this weather link?

dont have phone to hand so cant check link at top

would love to have access to rainfall radar on phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Download the Irish Weather app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement