Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl broadband - connection problems

• 12-09-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

hi.
    i have ntl broadband in my apartment and have been unable to connect to the internet for 2 weeks now.also my n95 wont connect to my ntl broadband. ntl tell me its a problem with my laptop but i can connet to all other wifi networks i have tried and so can my n95.
    last week i was getting a 179 ip (which i was told is due to my laptop not allowing the modem to assign an ip) but after a system restore im now getting a 169 ip again.

any and all help is appicated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Moved from Laptops.
    sorry mod, didnt see this section

any1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

where you living?? im in Dublin 15 and have been having terrible problems with my ntl broadband. im actually considering leaving them altogether

blondie7 wrote: »
    where you living?? im in Dublin 15 and have been having terrible problems with my ntl broadband. im actually considering leaving them altogether
    im in lucan.
    i am also considering leaving them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

blondie7 wrote: »

I'm in Dublin 15 and have been having a few problems lately as well. Any time I have rang them I was told that they are switching the channel on the modem and if that doesnt sort it out to ring back. Of course it takes ages to get through and then never to the same person.

Have you been using a wireless connection?
    If I plug the computer into the router I get a steady connection, however if I use it wirelessly then I have to refresh the page between 2 and 10 times to get the page to load properly. Very frustrating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

sorry forgot to add, Monty try plugging the laptop in directly to the router to establish if the problem is from the laptop to the modem or from the modem to the wall.

ive done that and ive turned off firewalls and antivirus but still no joy.

ntl have given me a 1550 number to ring but i dont have credit to ring them until next weekend:mad:

does any1 know what settings could be wrong that would make my laptop seek its own ip rather than allow the modem to assign an ip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

what version of windows are you using?
    what is your ip address when you are connected via cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

To get your laptop to get its own ip you need to set it to use DHCP instead of using a static ip address. What OS are you using and can you ping anything? go to start run type cmd /k ping google.ie and press enter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Also a 169 ip address is a local ip address used when you are not getting an ip address from DHCP. I would suggest trying to reboot your router i.e. unplug it and leave for a couple of minutes. Do the same with the modem. this doesn't sound like a laptop problem if you are able to connect to other wireless spots as these would use dhcp and you clearly got an address.

Also try pinging your router go to start run type cmd /k ping 172.16.0.1 -t and press enter. After a few lines you can close the window that opened and let us know if any pings were successful!

CrinkElite wrote: »
    what version of windows are you using?
    what is your ip address when you are connected via cable?
    im using vista
    still getting a 169 ip, do you need to know the full ip? ill write it down this evening and let you know what it is when im online again

jay-me wrote: »
    To get your laptop to get its own ip you need to set it to use DHCP instead of using a static ip address. What OS are you using and can you ping anything? go to start run type cmd /k ping google.ie and press enter!
    im told the problem is the laptop wont let the modem assgin an ip.
    im using vista, ive tryed to ping google but not getting a response. ill the ping you suggested when i get home.
    ive also tryed ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew but no joy.

i had the ntl tech guy out today and he tryed installing a new modem but no joy

im using vista
    still getting a 169 ip, do you need to know the full ip? ill write it down this evening and let you know what it is when im online again

1 ok in vista you need to right click on the internet connection down in the system tray (bottom right)

2 select 'network and sharing centre'

3 about half-way down the window on the right hand side click on 'view status'

4 at the bottom left click on properties (click on continue if prompted)

5 scroll down in the little window and highlight 'Internet protocal vesion 4 (tcp/ip4)'

6 click 'properties' on the left at the bottom.

7 Make sure that both these options are selected
    'Obtain IP adress automaticly'
    'Obtain DNS automaticly'

8 click ok and see if it worked ( try 'diagnose and repair' to make sure your router has been informed of these changes)

your computer should have been set up this way by default. if these settings were already set to automatic we could try setting them manualy, however we will need to know what the ip address of your wireless router is. this may be written on the back of the router or can be obtained by checking your ip when connected via cable. failing that just let us know what the exact make and model of the router is.

good luck

edit: sorry I did not see your edit. the problem is probably more serious than i had thought if you already had someone take a look at this

1 ok in vista you need to right click on the internet connection down in the system tray (bottom right)

2 select 'network and sharing centre'

3 about half-way down the window on the right hand side click on 'view status'

4 at the bottom left click on properties (click on continue if prompted)

5 scroll down in the little window and highlight 'Internet protocal vesion 4 (tcp/ip4)'

6 click 'properties' on the left at the bottom.

7 Make sure that both these options are selected
    'Obtain IP adress automaticly'
    'Obtain DNS automaticly'

8 click ok and see if it worked ( try 'diagnose and repair' to make sure your router has been informed of these changes)

your computer should have been set up this way by default. if these settings were already set to automatic we could try setting them manualy, however we will need to know what the ip address of your wireless router is. this may be written on the back of the router or can be obtained by checking your ip when connected via cable. failing that just let us know what the exact make and model of the router is.

good luck

edit: sorry I did not see your edit. the problem is probably more serious than i had thought if you already had someone take a look at this
    i nearly sure they are set to automatic already but ill double check when i get home. even when im using the ethernet wire to connect directly to the ntl modem i cant connect. ill run home in 20 mins and find out the make and model of the modem, its the old ntl modem if that helps

also ive used the "dignose and repair" option in the network and sharing center and it says to reset the "local area connection" then it says to renew ip settings and then it says there is a problem with the dns

same when i was trying the new modem the ntl guy brought

ok follow the steps again that up to step 7

where it says obtain dns automaticaly, change it to manual entry and use these IP adresses

leave the IP on automatic

this is open dns. I find it very reliable.

try diagnose and repair again and see if there's any joy.

where it says obtain dns automaticaly, change it to manual entry and use these IP adresses

il run home now and try that,
    thanks for the help so far guys

didnt work. the diagnose and repair wizard said windows can not fix your problem instaed of the dns error message. also my ip was changed from a 169 ip to a 192 ip

before doing these steps my ip was 169.254.172.246 but after i changed the dns settings and running the diagnose and repair wizard my ip changed to 192.168.2.2

• Advertisement

are you using this router? or something similar

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGR614.aspx

are you the only computer using this router?

try ping 192.168.1.1
    ping 192.168.2.1

from cmd.exe

are you using this router? or something similar

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGR614.aspx

are you the only computer using this router?

try ping 192.168.1.1
    ping 192.168.2.1

from cmd.exe
    im not using a wireless router anymore
    i have been coneccting directly to the ntl cable modem since i started having problems.( i was using a belkin router).

yes i am the only computer using this connection
    i will try that ping when i go home again

my computer is back on the 169 ip:mad: and the ping didnt work
    i think ill just throw in the towel and change to a differant isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

What lights are on on the cable modem(router)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

what make/model is the cable modem(router)

cynos wrote: »
    What lights are on on the cable modem(router)?
    the ready light, power lightsync light are on solid and the ethernet and recive lights are flashing

cynos wrote: »
    what make/model is the cable modem(router)
    it doesnt say the make on the modem but it does say the model number.
    ill post it tomorro when i can write it down and get back to my perants to log on

sorry about that man I was away from the computer.

according to this site http://www.iana.org/abuse/faq.html

"Autoconfiguration" IP Addresses:
    169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
    Addresses in the range 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 are used automatically by some PCs and Macs when they are configured to use IP, do not have a static IP Address assigned, and are unable to obtain an IP address using DHCP.
    This traffic is intended to be confined to the local network, so the administrator of the local network should look for misconfigured hosts. Some ISPs inadvertently also permit this traffic, so you may also want to contact your ISP. This is documented in RFC 3330.

it seems you are having dhcp problems

can you post the output of

ipconfig /all

Are you sure, you paid your broadband bill? they have messed up on my billing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

"it doesnt say the make on the modem but it does say the model number."

From the lights you have called out you either have an ambit 150 or 250. if it says ntl 150 on your modem or terayon, you need it replaced straight away. if its the ntl 250 you should be ok.

the lights you have described mean the modem is working correctly. 169ip can only be removed by flushing the ip address. do ipconfig/release in command prompt and your ip should go to 0.0.0.0 etc.

When you have done this unplug the modem and leave it off over night. leave your computer off as well if possible. restart them both the following morning with the modem directly connected to your computer with an enet cable.

If this doesnt work it may be to do with your computers adapters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I took a look at monty_python's connection earlier and there's definitely something wrong with either the modem not passing on the IP address issued by the DHCP server or no IP address is being issued by the DHCP server.

I did notice 1-2 things in the modem's logs though:
    First Time Last Time Priority Description
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) Authorized
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Error (4) Config file does not include a valid CVC!
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Error (4) Improper Configuration File CVC Format
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) Registration complete!
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) We registered with a DOCSIS 1.1 config file!
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Information (7) CableModem SNMP configure complete
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:13 2009 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:10 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:10 2009 Information (7) IP init completed ok
    Wed Sep 16 20:57:10 2009 Wed Sep 16 20:57:10 2009 Information (7) CableModem TFTP init ok
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) CableModem DHCP client init ok
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sync Start
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    Tue Sep 15 12:45:23 2009 Tue Sep 15 12:45:23 2009 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Anyone know if either of the following are normal:
    • Config file does not include a valid CVC! / Error (4) Improper Configuration File CVC Format
    • DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

I don't know that much about the UPC setup but to me it looks like the private IP address for the modem is being issued just fine. The modem is connected to the network and the support folk can connect to it. However the DHCP response destined for the UPC customer's laptop / desktop / wireless router is failing.

anyone know more about this and whether the messages are red herrings or actually linked to the issue?

The good news is that there's an engineer headed out to monty_python tomorrow with a new modem (he didn't have one yesterday!) so that should rule out the modem as an issue. Whether it resolves the issue is another question. Here's hoping...

Advertisement