Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident on Dublin Road

Options
  • 12-09-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

I passed a serious looking accident on the Dublin Road this evening.Someone was being loaded onto an ambulance.Hope everyone didnt get injured too bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

definitely +1 on the injuries

how's the traffic going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

what kind/colour cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The one by Days Hotel?

I received a text from a friend, saying it looked fairly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Not to sound cruel, but I fail to understand why there are so many serious crashes in this town. The roads are too jammed to get the speed to flip a car or wipe out badly.

Hope the people are ok tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

you dont have too be doing serious speed too hurt yourself. for exmple if someone is not wearing a seatbelt they could very easily hit their head off the windscreen and sustain a serious head injury. Even in a very low speed collision there is always the potential to injure your spine or sustain internal injuries from an incorrectly worn seatbelt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Para1 wrote: »
    you dont have too be doing serious speed too hurt yourself. for exmple if someone is not wearing a seatbelt they could very easily hit their head off the windscreen and sustain a serious head injury. Even in a very low speed collision there is always the potential to injure your spine or sustain internal injuries from an incorrectly worn seatbelt.

If they arent wearing there seat belt they should be made walk to the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

i saw it,it looks like someone may have been turning in to the hotel coming from the dublin direction and it looks like a hackney(correct me if im wrong) was using the taxi/bus lane which im not sure is allowed( are hackney cabs allowed to use bus/taxi lanes?),its fair to say if traffic leaving galway on this route is congested and someone allows a car right of way to cross over into the hotel grounds,that motorist may not be aware of the other lane been used as a bus/taxi lane hence a potential accident blackspot imo,tbh taxi and hackney drivers should be more aware of the potential hazard here and slow down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hackneys are not taxis, and therefore are not allowed in the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it looked like the accident happened coming from the hotel. I was there at the scene after it happened, car was badly dented and facing the walk at an angle towards the Dublin road. There was a hackney nearby, but seeing as people were in it, no-one was interested in it and it was completely untouched, I'm not sure it was involved at all. The Fire Brigade, anyway, cut the roof off the car, and had a few mats down in various spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Saw a Dublin reg rented car drive past me as i was in Eyre Square this evening (just before 8pm), the whole front of the car was smashed in. The guy was still driving it even though there was bits of metal dragging along the ground, make some racket as it drove along. Could very well have been involved in said crash, hope no one was seriously hurt in the collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

sgthighway wrote: »
    I wouldn't send them there:confused:
    Is there an A&E there?

:) nope, the only a+e the patients go too is the one in the university hospital. the only other one in the city is in the clinic and thats only minor injuries, plus its only open during the day.

yea, i only did the maps thing for the laugh :P never heard of anyone go to that hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hackneys are not taxis, and therefore are not allowed in the bus lane.

Actually think they are allowed to use the bus lane if they have got a fare in the cab or they are on route to a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Not to sound cruel, but I fail to understand why there are so many serious crashes in this town. The roads are too jammed to get the speed to flip a car or wipe out badly.

Hope the people are ok tho.

+1

there are an awful lot of stupid drivers out there. saw a person going from the tom hogan dual carriageway to the dual carriageway by the galway clinic. approached the roundabout in the first lane but while rounding the roundabout, the driver decided to try and move from the outside lane to the inside lane (eh, why!?) nearly wiping out an innocent motorcyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

Sorry to dredge this post up but the same thing happened to me last week but I was turning into Bradley's and the other driver was not a taxi or bus driver , it was a kid speeding up the bus lane, a fella had seen me indicating to turn right into Bradley's had looked in his rear view and side mirror and let me move, I know how dangerous that road is and slowly moved into the bus lane and out of nowhere BANG!
    But guess what, apparently it's my fault!
    Yeah even though he was illegally in the bus lane and illegally speeding (which even with a witness can't be proven) Insurance have told me the same thing and it's ridiculous, I'm obeying the traffic rules and yet I'm at fault, what a joke, I'm just glad my ma and the kids walked away from it.
    But what a joke the law is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sorry to dredge this post up but the same thing happened to me last week but I was turning into Bradley's and the other driver was not a taxi or bus driver , it was a kid speeding up the bus lane, a fella had seen me indicating to turn right into Bradley's had looked in his rear view and side mirror and let me move, I know how dangerous that road is and slowly moved into the bus lane and out of nowhere BANG!
    But guess what, apparently it's my fault!
    Yeah even though he was illegally in the bus lane and illegally speeding (which even with a witness can't be proven) Insurance have told me the same thing and it's ridiculous, I'm obeying the traffic rules and yet I'm at fault, what a joke, I'm just glad my ma and the kids walked away from it.
    But what a joke the law is!

Not a joke really, before you move into the lane, you need to check it the lane is clear and safe to move to.

I assume you did not see the "kid" speeding in the bus lane, but the fact that they were not entitled to use the bus lane is totally irrelevant, there was traffic in the lane and you did not see it, if the other car was actually a taxi, you would not have seen it either.

Not a joke really, before you move into the lane, you need to check it the lane is clear and safe to move to.

I assume you did not see the "kid" speeding in the bus lane, but the fact that they were not entitled to use the bus lane is totally irrelevant, there was traffic in the lane and you did not see it, if the other car was actually a taxi, you would not have seen it either.

I felt the "kid" hit me and my car is a write off!
    I saw him at the last split second he was going that fast!!!! and the witness confirmed he was booting it up the road.
    Hope you never have to experience it Gerard cause I'm sure you opinion would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sometimes the law is an ass. Surely the lad driving illegally up the bus lane also needed to be able to stop in time. What if it was a pedestrian? Its got to be at least a 50/50 split

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

I felt the "kid" hit me and my car is a write off!

You are correct that he should not have been in the bus lane but he hit you because you pulled in in front of him. As was said in the other post, if it had been a taxi who was legally using the bus lane you wouldn't have seen it either and the taxi may have hit you. In your opinion who's fault would it be then in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Sometimes the law is an ass. Surely the lad driving illegally up the bus lane also needed to be able to stop in time. What if it was a pedestrian? Its got to be at least a 50/50 split
    I almost had something similar happen coming up Bothar Na dTreabh at Briarhill and moving into the left lane to turn left onto the Monivea Road. The hard shoulder becomes a left turn lane and I was moving into it at exactly that point, so in theory there should have been no traffic (bus/taxi) already in that lane. But some %£&@ in a BMW was shooting up the hard-shoulder to turn left and would have hit me if I hadn't stopped just in time. I would hope in a case like that the person driving on the hard shoulder would be at fault.

Well I've done some digging and found that his Car would have a "black box" that records data in the event of and impact so I've informed my insurer about this, at least to investigate it as it can easily be extracted from the ecu.
    Yes I was moving at snails pace to cross the bus lane and I mean I wasn't even on the accelerator again cause I know how dangerous that road and bus lane is.
    I am sure that if he was doing 50kph or less he would have had time to react an manoeuvre and or hit the breaks,
    And like someone said if it was a pedestrian crossing is it the pedestrians fault?

I almost had something similar happen coming up Bothar Na dTreabh at Briarhill and moving into the left lane to turn left onto the Monivea Road. The hard shoulder becomes a left turn lane and I was moving into it at exactly that point, so in theory there should have been no traffic (bus/taxi) already in that lane. But some %£&@ in a BMW was shooting up the hard-shoulder to turn left and would have hit me if I hadn't stopped just in time. I would hope in a case like that the person driving on the hard shoulder would be at fault.

As I was told the driver even though illegally on the hard shoulder is in control of the lane therefore you would have been at fault, much like what happened to me, I'm contesting cause he wasn't in control on the car as he was speeding.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    You are correct that he should not have been in the bus lane but he hit you because you pulled in in front of him. As was said in the other post, if it had been a taxi who was legally using the bus lane you wouldn't have seen it either and the taxi may have hit you. In your opinion who's fault would it be then in that case?
    If the taxi was speeding ? His!
    In control on a lane and in control of a car are two separate things but Taxis and buses are meant to be in the bus lane, I was seriously slowly edging across that lane I didn't just speed into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

wow dredging this post up from 2009,
    in before lock.

start a new thread in the correct section next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he said ^^^

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement