Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Kierans School Roxboro Rd

Options
  • 12-09-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

I went to school there in the Late seventies, passed it yesterday and its gone, what happened??:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Short answer ... it was condemned .

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

amalgamated with the girls school down the road, the new school is now called galvone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was that the school that was on the left hand side just before where TBA used to be, as you drive towards the Parkway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was that the school that was on the left hand side just before where TBA used to be, as you drive towards the Parkway?

No Saint Kierans was Located on the corner of the roundabout across from the Roxboro Shopping centre, I went to school there myself and actually would admit it was the best school I ever went to so was saddened to see it come to the ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Magnum wrote: »
    I went to school there in the Late seventies, passed it yesterday and its gone, what happened??:confused::confused::confused:

I started going there in the late seventies. had some great teachers there such as Mr. O'Dwyer and Mr. Moore

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

No that was one of the Presentation school;s. Mixed up till first class and then all girls up to 6th class.

They even ran a bus there for the kids in Carew Park. Bunch of lazy sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

YFlyer wrote: »
    I started going there in the late seventies. had some great teachers there such as Mr. O'Dwyer and Mr. Moore

I sometimes got the bus down to school from O'Malley Pk (10p I think)

Not too sure about the teachers altough Mr. Moore rings a bell (3rd or 4th class)

I do remember a Brother called Br.Murphy (i think) he used to band hurleys:confused::confused:

Was there another Brother called Br.Skelton:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Mr O'Dwyer was there till it was knocked, he then moved next door to the girls (mixed now) school. Anyone remember Mr. Ryan think he is principle in Janesboro school and Mr. Murphy think he is principle in the model.

I sometimes got the bus down to school from O'Malley Pk (10p I think)

Not too sure about the teachers altough Mr. Moore rings a bell (3rd or 4th class)

I do remember a Brother called Br.Murphy (i think) he used to band hurleys:confused::confused:

Was there another Brother called Br.Skelton:confused::confused:

I walked all the ways from Carew Park.

Mr. Moore was the old guy from Kerry. He taught 6th class.

yeah I remember those two Brothers. Was it brother Murphy that used to break up all the fight outside. Especially when Justin Brosnan used to fight.

Was it brother Skelton that taught chess and draughts, or was that a different brother?

ABEasy wrote: »
    Mr O'Dwyer was there till it was knocked, he then moved next door to the girls (mixed now) school. Anyone remember Mr. Ryan think he is principle in Janesboro school and Mr. Murphy think he is principle in the model.

Yeah Mr. Ryan was in the UL concert hall earlier in the year for a fund raising do for Janesboro school. He did everything from being the host and chief performer. He had his wife and daughters performaing as well. A very lively man.

Is that Spud Murphy or Oliver his younger brother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

I walked all the ways from Carew Park.

Mr. Moore was the old guy from Kerry. He taught 6th class.

yeah I remember those two Brothers. Was it brother Murphy that used to break up all the fight outside. Especially when Justin Brosnan used to fight.

Was it brother Skelton that taught chess and draughts, or was that a different brother?

I'm not sure about the fights, I think Skelton started the year we moved out of Limerick for Tipperary, that was back in 1980, I was 10 and had just finished 4th class
    :eek::eek:

I meet Mr Ryan On a regular basis and he is indeed the principle of Janesboro school, also mr murphy is principle of the model school in O connell Avenue.

Also I remember Mrs Byrnes, Mr Broderick to name but a few....happy days.

steveon wrote: »
    I meet Mr Ryan On a regular basis and he is indeed the principle of Janesboro school, also mr murphy is principle of the model school in O connell Avenue.

Also I remember Mrs Byrnes, Mr Broderick to name but a few....happy days.

And Mr Haugh. Mr D who taught the self defence classes.

Mr Haugh, was always afraid of him... What was the name of the really camp guy, usually taught 5th or 6th class..

No The camp guy was surely Mr Supple....omg my mam used to sing a song about him....and the fact he was married even made her laught even more...

steveon wrote: »
    No The camp guy was surely Mr Supple....omg my mam used to sing a song about him....and the fact he was married even made her laught even more...

Thats the guy......... yea heard he was married with kids, hard to believe for anyone who has met him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

St. Kierans was a great school, il never forget the day that George Foreman visited the school it even made RTE News it's a pity that it had to be knocked.

St. Kierans was a great school, il never forget the day that George Foreman visited the school it even made RTE News it's a pity that it had to be knocked.

The fact that so many of us remember the place so well and remember so many of the teachers names just shows u it really was a great school...happy times alrite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mcarrol27

I was in Mr Haugh's class around twenty years ago, Was in my local petrol station recently when he walked in and a bolt of fear shot through me, took me a while to remember I'm in my thirties now:) Was a great school though, Have lots of good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

ST Kierans,Ahh the memories,i had haugh as well jesus he was tough. He is now the principle of the galvone school next to where st kierans was.
    A few weeks back there was a small piece in the limerick chronicle (from kevin haugh)looking for past pupils to reconnect with old school mates from the 70s 80s and 90s.I dont know if i should post the email add here so i wont.If anyone who went to st kierans wants to find out more pm me and i'll give email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 colmheneghan

Mr Molyneaux,Mrs Foley
    Br.Skeleton,Br Murphy,Mr D,O dwyer.I had Michael Ryan,Great Teacher,Mr Haugh..heard he was doing that reunion too..dont know what will come of it..i gave my email addy to my dad to pass it on anyway

That was Mr Supple that was the camp teacher..dont think he was gay though coz i met him once with his wife and kids so unless he has come out of the closet..

Taken from Debate in Dáil Éireann - 11 March, 2003 - Schools Building Projects.

With all due respect to the Minister of State, Deputy Noel Ahern, I hope I will not get the standard reply. The matter I wish to raise concerns a school which is in danger of losing its insurance if repairs are not carried out. The principal of St. Kieran's boys national school, Galvone, Limerick, went public on the local and national media over a week ago because of the appalling conditions in the school and because the insurance company concerned said it could not guarantee to continue to insure the school. There are problems with a leaking roof, subsiding floors, leaking toilets, large holes in the school yard and a heating system that is so bad it had to close three times in this school year in October, January and February. While the school's conditions are appalling it is a wonderful school in other ways and is in the green school programme. I have visited the school a few times and it has a fabulous morale. With the exception of the building, this is a very good school.
    The principal decided to go public because he was concerned about his duty of providing an education to the children and if the insurance was pulled he could not do that. He could not keep the school open if there was no insurance. It is an indication of how bad some schools are that the insurance company concerned, which is a reputable company and insures most schools in the country, had to threaten to withdraw support. The principal also had to go to the Health and [144] Safety Authority because he was concerned about some of the conditions in the school.
    I tabled a written question about this school two weeks ago. I understand that since then officials from the Department of Education and Science have visited the school and have acknowledged the seriousness of the problems. I understand there is the possibility of amalgamating with a girls' school which is close by. The boards of management of both schools are willing to consider all possibilities, including amalgamation, as an answer to the problem because they have to maintain the school whether on the current site, which is totally unsuitable and would need about €2 million to put it into proper condition, and the €20,000 being offered this year will go nowhere in terms of the seriousness of the problem.
    I am not trying to be negative in the sense that there may be a solution that would work for St. Kieran's boys national school and the girls' school which is close by. It is essential that the urgency of this case is recognised by the Minister and the Department as the school may not get insurance. I ask for a guarantee of uninterrupted education for the pupils of St. Kieran's boys national school, Galvone, irrespective of the solution. In recent months the problems of many schools have been highlighted both here and outside the House because of terrible conditions of one kind or another. This school is probably unique in that the insurance company has said it is so bad that it is a meaningless exercise to list the defects and that it is sufficient to state that the building is not suitable for use as a school.

What a shame..Should have built a new one and started afresh..great memories in there..my mum used to do cleaning in there and was great friends with mr.ryan..he done a lot for that school as well to try keep it open..many memories keep coming back about that school..teachers names still coming to my mind..remember that brother skeleton and im sure he and br murphy used to look after the school supplies shop(copies,pencils etc)..used to dread going there asking for something..

Advertisement