Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my PS3 has just died

• 12-09-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭

:mad:

It quit on me in the middle of Uncharted and won't switch on again.

All I get is a faint yellow light then a beep and then a flashing red light...

Do I have any hope in the fact it might just be the HDD??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Uh oh..

That can only mean one thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

your worst fears are true, hope you got a warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yup. Took out my HDD to see if that was the problem but, unfortunately it still blinks

Ringing up Sony tomorrow is going to be fun. And handing them the repair fee is going to bring as much joy if not more.

Damn them to hell for building a machine that was doomed.... :mad::mad::mad:

Got no warranty as mine is a launch model....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Not all yellow light issues are caused by complete hardware failure, overheating can cause it. I've read people on NeoGAF fix their yellow light issues by opening up their PS3 and cleaning it as apparently a lot of dust can build up and cause problems. Hence why I vacuum my PS3 every now and then. Dunno whether you're bothered trying to fix it yourself though, assuming of course that it's not something more serious.

Best of luck with Sony though, they'll probably tell you your issue is with the retailer wherever you bought it. I've read many on here persevere with them and get free refurbs. In fact my OH's Dad's PS3 had a DRE and he got a refurb 60GB free from GameStop (albeit with a couple of visits and pestering them).

Can the PS3 boot up properly without the hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Nope

it boots and shows default wave background but no Xmb, just "the correct HDD could no be found"

give me a shout of you get it fixed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

sorry to hear that Aaaronh, sounds like Yellow Light of Death..

It doesn't even boot up. It just sits there blinking it's red light.

I'd like to try and fix it myself but I sheared the screws pretty bad on the HDD so I shall not consider trying to open my broken bread bin

I'll be on the phone to Sony tomorrow now giving them a piece of my mind, just topped up by €30 so I'll have lots of call time to be airing my views and calling various people all the names and curses I can think of... then I'll tell them the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Aaron definitely send it to these guys. Sony quoted me €170 for a replacement
    and these lads did it for me €56 delivered and I still kept my 60GB PS3 and all the data on it. Give them a ring their really down to earth lads.

http://consolerepairsireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

You could try and blame firmware 3.0 its causing awfull problems Unchartered is one game that is having tons of problems with it people are reporing machines crashing all over the place.

Mine crashed with batman and has been giving a lot of HDMI problems too where the screen just goes off then it says on the tv no signal i have to reset to get it to come back.

It did crash while I was playing Uncharted....

Though it hasn't loaded up at all since. I get three beeps and then the red like starts blinking.

I've lost all hope, but I've sent out emails to all the guys that do repairs in the area and just waiting it out until they get back to me.

Also send an angry email to Sony but judging by their "wonderful" customer service I doubt I'll hear anything back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Sony dont give two hoots about there customers, i downloaded some stuff from PSN that didnt work emailed them asking for a refund as it didnt work got a snotty reply saying we wont give refunds on products unless its faulty!! i wrote back i think not working is pretty faulty !! never heard from that guy again.

Next day i got a email with a questionare about how my experience with sonys customer care was !! Needless to say i said it was great

Right so, I rang Sony hooray... was on hold for god knows how long, finally got through and they said I can take my broken one in to where I got it (Smyths in Cork) and I can part exchange it for a new or refurb model, they didn't say which, but I have to give another €160.

If I go through with it then I will have spent €870 for a PS3!!

I think I might go shoot myself instead....

Although I'm so much happier that I didn't get an Xbox360. Mate of mine has had more trouble than he cares to say...13 RROD...13!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

+1 for those chaps in Bray, might just sort you out for a far more reasonable fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You could also go into techmenders on south ann st. They're good for console repairs as well.

Don't know prices as it depends on the fault.

Well the guy I spoke to said it was a total hardware failure of one of the vital components, so I'm reluctantly taking mine in to where I bought it and I'm gonna hand over the reference number, my broken baby and 160 big ones...

A sad sad day tomorrow for me, I wouldn't wish this on my enemies....

well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Well the guy I spoke to said it was a total hardware failure of one of the vital components, so I'm reluctantly taking mine in to where I bought it and I'm gonna hand over the reference number, my broken baby and 160 big ones...

A sad sad day tomorrow for me, I wouldn't wish this on my enemies....

well...

Why don't you get it repaired?

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Why don't you get it repaired?

The words total system failure of major hardware. I told that to one of those console repair places and he said to take it in cos he wasn't sure he could fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭j14

This is the 6th Launch 60gb PS3 that I have heard of going belly up in the last month. Did Sony do something to them cos they want everybody to buy the slim?

I just think it is a MAJOR coincidence that the slim comes out and all the 60gbs start going belly up...hmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

j14 wrote: »
    This is the 6th Launch 60gb PS3 that I have heard of going belly up...

...the slim comes out and all the 60gbs start going belly up...hmmmm...

Holy exaggeration Batman!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭j14

Sorry "ALL MY MATES PS3s" have gone belly up. I don't mean every PS3 in the world. Also none of my mates have gotten them fixed yet as they thought the cost of the Sony refurb would come down withthe launch of the slim. My Launch PS3 never worked properly so I traded it in. I never had much luck with Sony consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

i hadn't heard of the yellow light of death til yesterday morning when i was checking my email and it died. mine is the 60gb model which i bought in august 2007. i rang sony helpline and was told because it's out of warranty it'll cost 160euro to get a refurbished one. i asked about all my photos, music and videos stored on it he said i'm sorry but you won't be able recover those. thanks to you guys here my files are safe now cos i dropped mine into bray to get fixed today. sony can stick their ps3 slim up their rear ends too. thanks again ppl

Advertisement