Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edinburgh Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

How is everyone's training going? Are we all running and dreaming of running all the hours of the day and night?

Doing 21 on Sunday and training going well for me. Hate speed sessions with a passion but struggling through them.

53 days to go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

training is going well, using the run republic sub3:30 and have lately added in some sessions from the sub3:00, if i feel i can do them....just completed my first 20m and feeling the effect of it today....

any know how training slow (eg doing a 20m run in 8:30m/mile), translates to a faster marathon even though the marathon is another 6miles long!!! my goal is to break 3:30 in the marathon, approx 8:00m/mile...

have a few halves coming up so going to try and use them as a pace indicator....

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Training going pretty well so far, touch wood. Doing my first 20 miler of 3 this weekend, and then the Connemara half for practice the week after. A lot of running ahead in the next 5 weeks in particular. Day off today though, which I am thoroughly enjoying.
    Really looking forward to the race though. It's starting to get within touching distance. Quite a decent number heading over to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

2 stars (poor)
    wow, some serious snow in Edinborough, might be interupting the training of the locals, we might gain a few places out of this! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

My training going well too but I'm not in the same league as you all. Hoping to get in about 4.50.(Hours, not time on the clock!) Have done my 14 miler and will do 16 at the weekend. It will be only one 20 miler about 3 weeks out. Anyone else who will be in my time zone?? Can't wait for it to come. Edinburgh is a great city and with a flat course it should be a good marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Edinburgh - 23/05/10
    RQ
    Oisin11178
    Chinguetti
    Blueskye
    actwithoutwords
    aero2k
    Slogger Jogger (maybe)
    rigal
    kandikane
    rovers_runner
    flying_scotsman
    central park
    diggy78
    Git101
    TakeaBowSon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

HUGE kudos to everyone doing the Edinburgh marathon. I was just over there for the weekend and it is a hilly hilly city!! I was wrecked just walking around... Looking forward to reading all of the reports!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Edinburgh - 23/05/10
    RQ
    Oisin11178
    Chinguetti
    Blueskye
    actwithoutwords
    aero2k
    Slogger Jogger (maybe)
    rigal
    kandikane
    rovers_runner
    flying_scotsman
    central park
    diggy78
    Git101
    TakeaBowSon

Out due to knee injury. But will be there cheering the boardsies on!! :D

Well i did my second longest run today 21 miles and apart from the usual stiffness, i think i'm ok. A lovely day for it too and if we got a day like this in Edinburgh, twould be nice. Hows everyone else coming along?

Shame that your knee got injuried Bluesky, hope its nothing serious and sure we'll see ya over there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Blueskye to have the beers waiting when we cross the line!

2 stars (poor)
    Was down in Limerick for the week and forgot my garmin (I know, imagine). Decided that a run to Birdhill from the city centre and back could be around about the 18 miles, terrible estimation on my behalf. On reflection I think I must have been around the 22 or 23 miles judging by the time it took. Guess I've just shot way ahead of the training programme, hope the knees dont suffer from the shock!

Great to have that in the bag! Wish I had, I'm only doing 16 tomorrow, still I'm in no rush to get around, just looking forward to Edinburgh.

Hurrah! Managed to do 18 today. back on schedule again. Best of luck to all of you doing Conne tomorrow. Bring sunscreen!

2 stars (poor)
    Fair play to ya CP, training runs in that heat are brutal.

22miles yesterday in the heat was not fun, even more so, when doing the middle 8 at PMP....I didn't factor that into my marathon, maybe a marathon in May wasn't a good idea!

on another note, just realised that the hineken cup and champions league finals are on the 22nd May, heres to a day or rest while watching sport in Edinburgh! happy days...

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    seanynova wrote: »
    on another note, just realised that the hineken cup and champions league finals are on the 22nd May, heres to a day or rest while watching sport in Edinburgh! happy days...

haha, well that's my PB out the window anyway. Ireland's grand slam win last year the day before Connemara ended up adding 25 mins to my time. :D

Just remembered I cancelled the hotel I'd booked for this and really need to book another. Where are others staying, I stayed in an apartment last year but travelling without my support crew this time so will be staying in a hotel. Mulling over treating myself to a luxury weekend given there's plenty of watching on the tv on the Saturday.

Ryanair have changed my flights a tonne of times as well, had a 4pm flight on the Friday which would have had me in Edinburgh early enough on the Friday evening to have a trip out on the Friday night, now they've changed it to 9pm :mad:

Aer Lingus have changed my flight a while back so they must all be changing the time of arrivals for the Friday.

Did you get the weekly update from the organisers? Got it this morning and they had an update about accommdation so you might have it in your email.

Anyone thinking of getting the GPS tracking thing? I had a look at it but i can't figure it out at all.

Saturday the 22nd is a day for the feet up alright.

Race numbers and final instructions issued on the web site!!!

Starting pens are allocated by the colour of your number, and seamingly the number count has a role in where you start, eg. London Road or Regent Road.

My number in the 800's starting on London Road. How many people start in each pen? Trying to guess how far back I'll be.....I put in for a 3:10 predicted time!

Almost 4weeks to go...really looking forward to it now!

Hi Seanynova,

Whereabouts on the website is it?

Is anyone else flying in on the Saturday? Aer Lingus changed the bloody flight and we won't arrive until 2.40pm now..

• Advertisement

there is a link there for start location after your race number.
    Think 1h(!?) - 3:50h start on london road, after that starts on regent road.

im flying from cork on sat morning, was supposed to be at 7am ish...havent heard anything about a change though for that flight?

Cheers I see it now!

My flights from Dublin...any sort of delay would have us rushing to get our numbers and stuff - fingers crossed!

I'm in the beyond 3,000 number range and i put down 3 hrs 33 so they must be a couple of thousand planning on doing 3 10 to 3 30 times. That will make it busy for a few miles. I'm on London Road too so thats for under 4hrs by the looks of it.

Aer Lingus have changed my flight again on Friday afternoon but its no hassle once there's no volcano ash.

All excited now after getting the details, twill make the runs over the weekend a bit more worthwhile.

I was just looking at the results from last years race, starting numbers don't really mean anything from what I gather....but then again it did look like a scorching hot day!!!

Why did I pick a marathon for the end of May??? hope its not too hot the day of the race!

speaking of which, do people wear hats when its really hot and running a race? I noticed the leaders/winner of the race last year not wearing any? And also read somewhere about hear loss through the top of your head, is it something to consider?

Seems there was a mistake for anyone checking their race number and start yesterday. It stated that the slower runners were starting at 9.50 from London Road to be followed by the faster runners at 10 from Regent Road. This wouldn't make any sense but they have changed it on the website today, Now faster runners start at London Road at 9.50 and the slower runners are off at 10 from Regent Road. You can check all this when you log into " My details " on the website. Hope nobody is too confused now!

This marathon has put the fear of god into me. I'm not ready, not ready at all at all at all... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

3 stars (average)
    This marathon has put the fear of god into me. I'm not ready, not ready at all at all at all... :(

That makes two of us, actually, make that three....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Git101 wrote: »
    That makes two of us, actually, make that three....
    FFS lads, HTFU - you're starting to make me nervous now!

3 stars (average)
    aero2k wrote: »

No reason for you to be nervous, you've done the miles (ref: 1000 mile challenge)
    Can't speak for Racoon Queen but myself and Kev have had what you might call "reduced training schedules :o"
    So I will try to HTFU but little hairy legs can only do so much...

I presume most of you here have done your longest run by now or are planning it for next weekend, then TAPER time, my favourite part of marathon training! When are you all heading over and do you know where we get our race numbers on Saturday? After watching London today, hope it stays cool on 23rd!

• Advertisement

Did 22 last week and 18 today and a planned 16 next week so i'm gradually getting into a taper in about ten days. Between watching London this morning and getting my number on Friday, tis all getting a bit exciting. Heading over on the Friday afternoon. We should start sorting out about meeting up on Saturday night. Anyone know any good venues for a bite of pasta/chat?

Found myself waving like a winner when i passed the finish of last week's Great Ireland in the Park earlier.:pac: I've decided i need to practice a bit more though!

Git101 wrote: »
    No reason for you to be nervous, you've done the miles (ref: 1000 mile challenge)
    Can't speak for Racoon Queen but myself and Kev have had what you might call "reduced training schedules :o"
    So I will try to HTFU but little hairy legs can only do so much...

I've just got the jitters now. I don't see myself 'racing' it, whether I run it at about 8:30 pace and just enjoy the day, run it with a girl I know who is running her first marathon and probably come in just under 5 or not are the only decisions left to make now. The plan never was to race Edinburgh anyway I was planning on going over just to make up for missing out last year. Once I'm on the start line I'll probably feel different but todays attempt at a LSR didn't go too great...40 miles two weeks ago or not.
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Did 22 last week and 18 today and a planned 16 next week so i'm gradually getting into a taper in about ten days. Between watching London this morning and getting my number on Friday, tis all getting a bit exciting. Heading over on the Friday afternoon. We should start sorting out about meeting up on Saturday night. Anyone know any good venues for a bite of pasta/chat?

Yeah was going to suggest the same myself. There's a few restaurants by the vue cinema just off Princes street and a load of restaurants on Georges street so we shouldn't have any problems picking somewhere to have a meal. I'm flying home on Sunday night so we need a venue for post-race drinks/something for me to do between checking out of my hotel and flying home. :pac:

I won't be at my most sociable on the Saturday night, but I reckon me +2 should make post race drinks. Anywhere around Prince's St should be good.

3 stars (average)
    I won't be at my most sociable on the Saturday night, but I reckon me +2 should make post race drinks. Anywhere around Prince's St should be good.

+2 defo

Thanks for the heads up on the numbers etc. I'm around the 2000 mark, having put myself down for 3.29. Did my second 20 mile LSR last week, with a final one planned for next Sunday. Unfortunately, as I've already mentioned at length in my log, I seem to have acquired a cartilage injury in my right knee, so my training is completely up in the air now, let alone my participation in the race itself. Have been looking forward to this since January, incredibly frustrating since the training had been going so well. Either way, the sub 3.30 pipe dream is probably down the tubes with minimum 8 days missed training at this stage.

If I do make it, and fingers crossed I will, would definitely be interested in meeting people. Haven't seen anyone from here at the races I've done in the past, but it would be good to say hi. I'm staying with friends, but could definitely move us in the direction of a particular pub post-race on Sunday.

I was thinking more of 6 o'clock or so for a meet-up for food if people wanted to do so on the Saturday night. With the rugby and soccer finals on, its really a day for the feet up if ever there was one. As for the drink, that what Sunday night is for.:D

chinguetti wrote: »

Found myself waving like a winner when i passed the finish of last week's Great Ireland in the Park earlier.:pac: I've decided i need to practice a bit more though!

20 mile LSR done on saturday with 15 down for this week and then its Taper time!:D

Anyone who's looking for new gear for Edinburgh, head down to Elverys where they have 26.2% off running gear ( womens and mens) at the moment. Great selection. Just make sure to try it out lots of times before the big day! It will all be over in 3 weeks!!!

The ash cloud is back. :eek:

Part of me has decided to put Roscommon down as back up for Edinburgh now. Wheezing is really bad, anyone who ran with me in Limerick probably thought I was an 80 a day smoker. Just need to look after myself now and hope to ride it out and be fit enough for Edinburgh. Really don't want to run another marathon that I'm not 100% fit for. I've proved to myself that I can push myself through with pure grit and determination to finish a marathon, now I need to go out and RACE one. I really, really, really want to race a bloody marathon. :mad:

• Advertisement

The ash cloud is back. :eek:

Part of me has decided to put Roscommon down as back up for Edinburgh now. Wheezing is really bad, anyone who ran with me in Limerick probably thought I was an 80 a day smoker. Just need to look after myself now and hope to ride it out and be fit enough for Edinburgh. Really don't want to run another marathon that I'm not 100% fit for. I've proved to myself that I can push myself through with pure grit and determination to finish a marathon, now I need to go out and RACE one. I really, really, really want to race a bloody marathon. :mad:

Would anyone be interested in putting together a plan "B" for Edinburgh.

As above the ash cloud is back and could be around, on and off forthe next few weeks..

I propose maybe organising a carpool/car convey or something of that nature for people travelling, maybe get a ferry from Hollyhead or up North and then drive to Edinburgh?

Anyone any thoughs, or would most people just ditch it and do an alternative marathon on home soil as above?

I was checking this out when a friend of mine was doing London and it got me thinking.

Drive to Larne, take the boat to Troon or Cairnryan and train to Edinburgh if not driving.

I'm heading on the Friday if the flights are working, if not i'm sailing and if i'm doing neither , i shall be crying:(

To be honest, I'm not sure if I could be bothered doing all that for Edinburgh. It's just a fun run for me this time out so I can happily defer to run Portumna or Roscommon or even Newry the week after.

I would definitely be interested in a Plan B alright. This marathon is getting run...even if we have to swim over!

Sorry, can't help with the carpool as there's a carload of us travelling together, but I just checked out the plan C option of boat (as a foot passenger) and train with Stena; Dublin-Holyhead-Edinburgh is €80 return, Dublin-Belfast-Stranraer-Edinburgh is €110 return. I used Thurs and Tues for the quotes, weekend travel might be dearer.

Its pretty much the only marathon I can do this year so I want to get it done...

If needs be I'll drive over on the Thursday night or Friday, but the option of the train could work also.

The marathon organisers have organised busses from various towns/cities in Scotland so, even if we got to one of those we could catch a bus:

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?scottish_citylink

Although, Glasgow is propable the only city on route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

well raqueen queen i believe you had the pleasure of meeting my friend frank in limerick lets get locked in edinburgh its gonna be a geat day,dont try and take advantage of me when i get drunk ha

2weeks to go!

I have had to step back the training this week, due to having surgery on Wednesday and was supposed to be doing a 18m run today but my calf is sore from yesterdays run....
    I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make up the lost days, as from now on its taper time....

pity, because for the previous 12weeks so far of training I haven't gotten injured and on what was supposed to be my last "hard" week, turns out to be me worst week, only running 4days:
    -1easy run
    -8x800m intervals
    -5m at 10sec faster than race pace
    -7m at 30sec slower than race pace

Frustrated!!!

If my leg feels better tomorrow I might try the 18miler then and spend the last 12 days winding it down....

Well, I'm out. Knee cartilage injury has meant I haven't run in three weeks, and it's painful to walk some days. Incredibly depressing. I'll still be there as I have onward flights booked from the UK to Barcelona. The Sunday will be kind of tough, after 3 months of obsessive training coming to nothing.

Well folks, its looks like i'm out too. While walking into the bathroom this morning, i felt something twinge behind my right knee. Thought nothing of it and carried on, cycled to work and was fine until i got up to get out of my chair after a couple of hours sitting. I thought my right leg would buckle under me. i knew i'd done something bad at that stage.

My regular legs person was booked up so went to see another physio who tells me i've a small tear at the top of my right calf. Looks like i could do Edinburgh but not at full tilt and no certainity that i will finish it from the way it feels tonight. I would rate myself as 10/90 in doing it.

If i started running the marathon, i wouldn't stop and would damage it further and could be out for a while. I'm a slow healer too so i'm thinking thats 4 months training down the drain. Words fail me to express how crap it is.

I'll decide on Tuesday after giving it a few days and seeing how it is but i'll try to defer til next year.

Jesus this is like last years Edinburgh thread now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement