Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edinburgh Marathon 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Tapering madness starting to creep in...

How long do people reckon for the weekend run?

I'm thinking about 8 miles on Sunday??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well folks, its looks like i'm out too. While walking into the bathroom this morning, i felt something twinge behind my right knee. Thought nothing of it and carried on, cycled to work and was fine until i got up to get out of my chair after a couple of hours sitting. I thought my right leg would buckle under me. i knew i'd done something bad at that stage.

My regular legs person was booked up so went to see another physio who tells me i've a small tear at the top of my right calf. Looks like i could do Edinburgh but not at full tilt and no certainity that i will finish it from the way it feels tonight. I would rate myself as 10/90 in doing it.

If i started running the marathon, i wouldn't stop and would damage it further and could be out for a while. I'm a slow healer too so i'm thinking thats 4 months training down the drain. Words fail me to express how crap it is.

I'll decide on Tuesday after giving it a few days and seeing how it is but i'll try to defer til next year.

Ah crap sorry to hear that, hope that it clears up quick and may not be as bad as you fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭flying_scotsman

3 stars (average)
    Tapering madness starting to creep in...

How long do people reckon for the weekend run?

I'm thinking about 8 miles on Sunday??

8 miles sounds good to me. This time next week it'll nearly be over (hopefully!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Anyone any good suggestions for travelling next week if flights are cancelled. I'm due to fly on Friday from Dublin. Hope I'll be wearing a medal around my neck this time next week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Anyone any good suggestions for travelling next week if flights are cancelled. I'm due to fly on Friday from Dublin. Hope I'll be wearing a medal around my neck this time next week!!!

It's meant to clear up by Wednesday, so hopefully that's the case. Otherwise sailrailing is an option. Cheap and very flexible. Bit of a journey from Holyhead though.

http://www.irishferries.com/fares-offers-britain-from-ireland.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Hope it does! How long would it take to get from Holyhead to Edinburgh and is there a direct train? Suppose I could google it, but maybe you can say off the top of your head! Thanks

Hope it does! How long would it take to get from Holyhead to Edinburgh and is there a direct train? Suppose I could google it, but maybe you can say off the top of your head! Thanks

My guess would be Holyhead-Birmingham and Birmingham-Edinburgh. Not sure if I would hazard a guess at times. 5-6 hours maybe. Though possibly less if the timings work out. Sail rail sort all that out for you and give you multiple options usually when you call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I'm looking into the rail & sail option too, but hopefully there will be some advanced warning of the ash cloud before next weekend!

I googled a 7day weather forcast, its looking alright I think.
    Overcast, 30% chance of rain, high of 15degs, 10mph WNW winds....thats not too bad is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

I've booked the ferry as a back up option anyway.

Belfast - Stranraer. Its then a 3 hour drive to Edinburgh (I'm taking my car on the ferry). It worked out at about E390 but theres 4 of us so its not the worst.

Its with Stenaline and we have booked the premium ticket so if you cancel within 24 hours of departure you get a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

2 stars (poor)
    I drove to Edinburgh last year, took the P&O ferry Larne to Cairnryan only an hour and took about 3hrs to drive too Edinburgh got caught in alot off traffic going past Glasgow...the best route would be larne to troon and the drive is alot shorter, 2hr ferry crossing.

• Advertisement

I just got off the hpne with GSI events, and they confirmed that race packs will be available for collection on Sunday Morning @ 6am.

I would suggest anyone else thinking of collecting their race packs to confirm with them though.

My flight is Sat morning, and if its cancelled, I'll be heading up in the car....probably won't get to Edinburgh before 6 though(depends on ferry times) so will have to collect the race pack on the morning of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Myself and Git101 are travelling over tonight. I might not have internet access until next Wed so best of luck to all competitors, and commiserations to those who've had to withdraw - there'll be other opportunities down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck to ye all, hope ye get your target time!

I'm off this evening. Best of luck to everyone running. I'll be there supporting my friend in the relay, so I'll make sure to cheer on any boards vests. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

3 stars (average)
    aero2k wrote: »
    Myself and Git101 are travelling over tonight. I might not have internet access until next Wed so best of luck to all competitors, and commiserations to those who've had to withdraw - there'll be other opportunities down the road.

Just arrived to Edinburgh with aero2k.

Woohoo !! internet access available...

Best of luck to all running on Sunday.

Any plans for a boardsie meeting after the marathon ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck to all running this. Hope it's not too hot out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Best of luck everyone running this, hope you get the times you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good luck to everyone doing Edinburgh and hope the wind is at yer backs on the way out and back to the finish line.

3 stars (average)
    Anyone heading over to Edinburgh today bring your sun block, it's HOT & sunny here :eek::eek::eek:

Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Git101 wrote: »
    Anyone heading over to Edinburgh today bring your sun block, it's HOT & sunny here :eek::eek::eek:

Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow.

Yep roasting here too, said myself last night that my cough could be another blessing in disguise. Last year was scorching just walking in Edinburgh never mind running.

3 stars (average)
    Yep roasting here too, said myself last night that my cough could be another blessing in disguise. Last year was scorching just walking in Edinburgh never mind running.

Sorry that you couldn't make it this year but on the bright side at least Leeds got promoted :D

Git101 wrote: »
    Sorry that you couldn't make it this year but on the bright side at least Leeds got promoted :D

It certainly softened the blow a bit. A massive win in the Championship playoff final for Blackpool today so we can watch Ridsdales Cardiff City crumble into little pieces next season would be a nice start to my 4 day Edinburgh weekend. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    Over in Edinburgh, just realised my garmin is broke:F
    Going to be a long day tomorrow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Over in Edinburgh, just realised my garmin is broke:F
    Going to be a long day tomorrow:D

G'luck tomorrow! My watch died about 5mins into it last year... I think the course must kill electronics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL
    definitley next year I am booking holidays to Scotland the same weekend as the Edinburgh marathon. Seems to get glorious weather for it.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Good news, the weather in Edinburgh this morning is dull and overcast, much cooler than the last few days. Just had a drop of rain too.

Hopefully the sun will stay in until after the race.

Best of luck to all runners.

3 stars (average)
    Just back from the race ....
    It was fu*king hot. 23c +.
    I'm happy enough with my time, better that I expected, considering the quality of training this year. I'll post a report on my blog when I get a chance.

Aero2k knocked out a cracking time, hopefully he'll write a report. I for one would to love read it.

I hope everyone enjoyed their day and got the results they hoped for.

As usual, Git101 is too modest to mention that he was only 3 mins outside his DCM '09 time, on a much hotter day, with less optimal training.

The motto for today was "have faith, and pursue the unknown end." (Oliver Wendall Holmes, found on Friday in a James Patterson paperback the OH had bought me and I'd brought to stop me going crazy during the 2-day acclimatisation).
    I had printed out 3 pace goals, 2:48 for cool and calm conditions and to give me a chance of 2:50, 2:50 for a slight breeze, and 2:55 for a hot day. In the event I decided to run by feel, and try to outrun the sun. This was fairly successful thanks to the fast downhill 4 miles at the start, and I made halfway in 1:25 ish. Kept going well until 20, when it started to feel like hard work, and at 23 miles I was barely managing 7 min miles.
    Last mile was 7:15ish, so the finish just came in time. Nutrition and hydration was fine, legs felt fine, so I'm putting the slowdown down to the heat.:) Finished just outside 2:54, will post splits and a fuller report later - there is at least one funny tale to tell (at least it's funny now, it wasn't at the time:D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

As usual, Git101 is too modest to mention that he was only 3 mins outside his DCM '09 time, on a much hotter day, with less optimal training.

The motto for today was "have faith, and pursue the unknown end." (Oliver Wendall Holmes, found on Friday in a James Patterson paperback the OH had bought me and I'd brought to stop me going crazy during the 2-day acclimatisation).
    I had printed out 3 pace goals, 2:48 for cool and calm conditions and to give me a chance of 2:50, 2:50 for a slight breeze, and 2:55 for a hot day. In the event I decided to run by feel, and try to outrun the sun. This was fairly successful thanks to the fast downhill 4 miles at the start, and I made halfway in 1:25 ish. Kept going well until 20, when it started to feel like hard work, and at 23 miles I was barely managing 7 min miles.
    Last mile was 7:15ish, so the finish just came in time. Nutrition and hydration was fine, legs felt fine, so I'm putting the slowdown down to the heat.:) Finished just outside 2:54, will post splits and a fuller report later - there is at least one funny tale to tell (at least it's funny now, it wasn't at the time:D).

great time again aero....the long distance really suits you.
    Looking forward to the full report.

4 stars (good)
    Like running in a microwave. 27 degrees at the end.
    3.18 for me. Happy with it but it was a struggle.

• Advertisement

Great marathon, fantastic experience....would recommend it except for the unpredicatably hot weather!!!!!!!!(!!!!!!!!!!!!) :)

things didnt go my way today though, was going fine until the last water stop just after 24m, collapsed on the water table, dizzy as F*ck, medics asking me day it was etc....was on the ground mabye 10-15mins, and i watched 3:00 tick by....eventually got up and walked, stumbled, and rested along the last 2miles, but i did trot the finish straight...and came in a 3:25....ah well.....still had a good race though, went through 10k in something like 41:50 or 42even ish(cant really remember) and half somewhere in the 1:29s(but early 29s), think i lost ground up to 30k but was still on track for the sub3, and around 21 things started to get harder, worked with a girl but found i couldnt keep up, when i dropped pace, i didnt try and get it back just kept turning over. kinda knew the sub3 was gone but didnt let it get to me too much, was thinking of 3:05 or 3:10 or whatever, but i ground to a halt at 24.....i was out of it! really didnt think i could get up again, i even tried a few times but kept falling over on my side again...tucked under the water table for 10-15mins i eventually got up....and wobbled to the finish line.

what went wrong? not sure, settled into a 6:50pace in the early miles, and it felt pedestrian, went through 10k a little early but what harm, it was downhill at the start(although i hardly noticed it) and the half in 1:29, again, a little early but not crazy splits by any means...was chatting a bit too as i was going, so was in and around sub3 group/wannabies.
    the 1st time i noticed things get hard was at the 16m marker, there was a lot of runners running in the opposite direction than me and that kinda took the wind out of my sails but i got on with it...after that it didnt seam like a struggle but i might have been drifting a little on the pace, of course at this stage the sun had been blaring down since mile9...after the turn through the woods, we came out around 18 and i saw 2 chimney towers in the distance that we passed earlier, and though....thats far! i blocked it out and kept going but by this stage things starter to get a harder, tried to keep close to people wanted to keep thing ticking over that way but as i said above, it didnt last....by 22/23 i was down to 7:20ish pace and i tried to fight the demons(although it wasnt the demons that got me in the end) and keep the pace going which would have brought me in at a handy time i just lost the head....never had a feeling like it, dizzy and nearly fainted(well i kinda did, onto the water table), the rest as they say is history....

i blame the heat :) well, i might have survived the last 2m if i had ran the race at a 7:00 or even a 6:55pace...i still should have compensated for the heat too when the sun came out but im glad i had a craic at the sub3.

anyway,i still had a blast, crowd were very good, and had the water guns out and garden hoses...im sure a lot of people were grateful of that.

3 stars (average)
    Jaysus, tough day , Seanynova, fair play for pushing on.
    Hope the next one is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Seanynova that sounds like hyponatraemia, it happened to me when i was younger and the symptoms are the same. Well done for finishing it anyway.

Seanynova that sounds like hyponatraemia, it happened to me when i was younger and the symptoms are the same. Well done for finishing it anyway.

Whats that? and how do you avoid it?

I google it tomorrow i guess....

but i do think the pace might have gotten to me anyway with trgards sub3, not sure its what finished me though.

just had a look at it, it might have been hyponatraemia but i did consume 5gels to that point and 5x330ml bottles of lucozade sport and only 4x250ml water(in both the fluids cases i prob threw away the last 20-50ml, so i should have been well topped up on sodium and glycogen....and hydration for that matter but i was sewating like a mofo and the heat was really intense.
    i had a sun visor on which might have helped too, but not enough eh...

4 stars (good)
    Sean where you wearing a tricolour bib?

No, I was actually going to ask you the same thing coz he passed me as i was walking to the finish....he might have finished around 3:20 or something, hard to tell...

i didnt have the energy to shout "up the rebels" at him either, ha!

Oh I may know him. Did he have dark hair? youngish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

- there is at least one funny tale to tell (at least it's funny now, it wasn't at the time:D).

Well done Sean, great performance under difficult conditions. I know you dont normally mind racing in the heat but a marathon in those conditions is a different ballgame. No wild predictions for yourself, your a man who says he'll do something and then goes and nails it.
    Looking forward to the race report but also to hear about the funny incident.

4 stars (good)
    seanynova wrote: »
    No, I was actually going to ask you the same thing coz he passed me as i was walking to the finish....he might have finished around 3:20 or something, hard to tell...

i didnt have the energy to shout "up the rebels" at him either, ha!
    Id say he was lucky to get 3.20. He was walking looking in bad condition when i passed him with about 2 miles to go. Thats why i thought it was you, id say 3.25 more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Finished just outside 2:54, will post splits and a fuller report later - there is at least one funny tale to tell (at least it's funny now, it wasn't at the time:D).
    Congrats aero2k. Fantastic time on what by all accounts was a very tough day to be out running. So.... Just how much 'just outside 2:54' were you? More than 15 seconds? <grin>

• Advertisement

Just been told that a runner passed away after yesterdays race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife/10145907.stm

:(

Edinburgh 2010 – Murderous thoughts on the road to Musselburgh (or why my next hydration belt will have an elastic loop to hold a baseball bat.)

Hello all,

I’ll try to keep this brief by telling the story rather than analysing training etc which I’ll do later.

The whole adventure began during a telephone conversation with Git101, when he said ”let’s do Edinburgh”. As I’d had a few brief visits to the city, and it was about halfway between DCM ’09 and DCM ’10, I thought “why the hell not.” Entries were booked, cheap flights found, an apartment located, and neither the effects of possibly too many miles (me) maybe not quite enough miles (Git101) nor the last minute huffing and puffing of a certain volcano were enough to prevent us arriving in town on schedule around 11pm Thursday 20th.

On Friday I had a 5 mile run past the number collection area and up to the start, then back to the flat. Git 101 later walked a similar route and wisely suggested booking a cab for race day. On Saturday we jogged the 3 mile round trip to get the race packs, and after an afternoon trip to the cinema there was nothing left to do but wait. I remarked on a pedestrian light going green just as we reached it saying to Git “it’s all starting to fall into place…..”

Race day

In my kilomathon reportI mentioned having to make a pitstop, and having had several similar experiences on long runs recently I decided to go for a short run early on race day to ensure everything would be okay. 1.8 miles did the trick and there were no problems later. The start area was amazingly calm and relaxed compared to Dublin, perhaps due to the 2-wave start from adjacent streets. I was able to jog back and forth over the start line with 10 mins to go, and even just before the start I was only about 7 rows from the front, but I had plenty of space. My original plan had been to go for 2:55 but recent training suggested that 2:50 might be on if I had a super day and with perfect weather conditions. The latest forecast was for a cloudy start followed by hot and sunny weather, and being unsure of the effects of the downhill start I decided to try to hit 2:50 pace until the sun came out, as long as it felt ok. I had chosen my Nike “Run” t-shirt rather than my singlet to try to minimise exposed skin without being too warm, and I picked the Hyperspeed III over the DS Trainers on the basis that they were better ventilated. A few last minute words of very good advice (“don’t resist the downhills in the first few miles, relax and let the gradient carry you along) from official starter Liz Yelling and we were off.

I decided to give it a few minutes before the first glance at the watch, and when I did look down it said 6:30, bang on 2:50 pace. I tried to relax a little more as I loosened up, and despite a few sharp turns there were no problems finding space to run. The first 4 miles went by in 6:22, 6:22, 6:13 and 6:24. The legs felt a bit sluggish at this stage but otherwise I was very comfortable. The next 4 took 6:30, 6:32, 6:33 and 6:27. This section included a stretch along the seafront where I thought I felt a headwind, so I decided to tuck in with a small group who were going along at a nice pace. I realised I was a few seconds per mile too slow to make 2:50, however I hoped the seconds I’d saved with the fast start and perhaps the legs loosening up more would help me make it, if it didn’t get too hot.

Mile 9 took 6:25 and brought us past Musselburgh racecourse where the half marathoners were still streaming in. I briefly wondered how I’d feel when I got back there.....Miles of 6:32, 6:33, 6:29 and 6:33 told me that although comfortable, I wasn’t on a flyer. My cruising speed seemed to be just the wrong side of 6:30, and while I could bring it down to 6:25 that took a bit more effort than I thought wise to expend at that stage. Halfway was passed in 1:25:10 by my watch, not a bad day’s work so far, but the sun was well up by then if memory serves me well, so now the fun was about to begin.

In contrast to Dublin I used just one bottle belt, each of 4 bottles containing a diluted gel. I drank 3 of the 4 and took a bottle of water at each station. From midway or so, I was spraying about half the bottle over my head, shoulders, back and chest. I didn’t feel too hot at any stage, probably due to this, but it meant I had a bottle in my hand for the majority of the race. I had planned to have the 4th gel before 20 miles but then I decided to focus on getting water in – the gel just didn’t seem appetising. 6:31, 6.33 and 6:35 miles brought me to 16 miles and I was still feeling fine. We were now briefly away from the sea and going slightly uphill, but there was a u-turn up the road and I could see the faster runners approaching and knew I had a little downhill “rest” coming up. Back down to the seafront then another detour through the grounds of Gosford House, with a little welcome shade from the trees. Back out onto the coast road just after 18, 2/3 of the distance gone but the real race yet to begin. Somewhere around 20 was the high point for me as I got a big shout from Git101 coming the other way, looking much better than he had led me to believe he would. [Actually this is a good time to mention the support which seemed to be all along the course – the kids with supersoakers and adults with hoses were great, and the competitor at 11ish (for them) and 24ish (for me) who called out my number gave me a much needed lift.] The last 4 miles had taken 6.31, 6. 39, 6.35, and 6.37, and though I felt no cause for panic I knew 2:50 was gone, and it was a case of trying not to slow down, while hoping the finish line would come in time.
    The main memories of the last 6.2 miles were of great noise, the constant flow of outbound runners, a gentle but welcoming breeze, and the fact that even a gentle rise in the road seemed to loom large. I tried to stay relaxed and not look at the watch too much, but the 6.40, 6.42, 6.46, 6.55, and 6.58 splits for the next 5 miles tell their own story. I glanced down shortly after the start of mile 26 to see something like 7:20 being displayed, so I ditched the near-empty bottle I was carrying and tried to pick it up a bit. I felt fine, not too hot or thirsty, and the legs were still moving, but I seemed to have no zip. However the roar from the grandstand gave me a lift, and I was surprised at how soon the turn into the racecourse came. Just in case the legs weren’t wobbly enough, they had laid huge rubber mats over the finishing straight, and I suspect there was long grass underneath making it a bit like running on a bouncy castle. I could see 2:53 on the clock but it had slipped past the 2:54 as I hobbled underneath.

I had to rest on the barriers as the legs stopped immediately on crossing the line, but I got going again and the long walk to the baggage area helped me move a bit more normally. A nice cool shower was an unexpected treat, though trying to get clean socks on was a piece of performance art. I finally managed to make a sudden lunge and surprise the feet before the hips seized.

Official result confirmed 2:54:08 for 45th place. Git 101 did 3:40:05 to almost match his DCM ’09 time.

So, now the funny bit. This would benefit from video, but my words will have to paint the picture. Sometime in the first 8 miles or so I thought the sun had come out early and melted my brain, for what I saw 50m or so ahead had to be a mirage. There was a guy ahead running along at the side of the race, doing the kind of high knee lifts that sprinters do to warm-up. Then he switched to swinging his arms like a windmill, before reverting to his version of running, a bouncy gait with a trailing foot going above waist level, and a cadence about half mine. I didn’t think he was in the race at first until I passed him and checked his number. It got better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) with him occasionally making boxer style 1-2 jabs, complete with sound effects. Then he was up on the grass doing sideways high knee lifts, and all the time keeping up approx 6:30 miles. At one stage he was on my left and I heard what I thought was a car approach from behind, and it took a lot of self control not to attempt a well timed nudge. Just as well, it turned out to be a police motorbike…..I did have to roar “watch it” at one stage as he almost decapitated the guy beside him with his helicopter arms. So, next time, along with gels, I’m packing a baseball bat, or better yet, a taser! (BTW he did 2:52, I reckon he’d do 2:30 if he cut out the crap)

Good points:

Fast course
    Superb organisation
    Uncrowded start
    Great finish area with showers
    Great city to visit

Not so good:

Weather
    Eccentric competitors

Sosa wrote: »
    great time again aero....the long distance really suits you.
    Looking forward to the full report.

Thanks Sosa.

Yes, I love this distance, I find the intensity of the shorter races very difficult. Just from rough glances at the watch I hit 10 in 64:50 which is actually my 10pb and half in 1:25:10 which is just outside my half PB, so maybe this is my best event. Incidentally my 37:07 in the great Ireland run gives a McMillan time of 2:54:11 - perhaps the weather mad up for the easier course!
    Congrats aero2k. Fantastic time on what by all accounts was a very tough day to be out running. So.... Just how much 'just outside 2:54' were you? More than 15 seconds? <grin>
    Nop, sorry...:D
    Just been told that a runner passed away after yesterdays race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife/10145907.stm

:(

Yes, I was very sorry to hear that. Apparently 242 people had medical attention and 8 had to go to hospital. Even the elites weren't immune, the leader siezed up in the finishing straight when well ahead, and he could only hobble along as the second placed guy cruised past to take the victory.

tunguska wrote: »
    I know you dont normally mind racing in the heat but a marathon in those conditions is a different ballgame. No wild predictions for yourself, your a man who says he'll do something and then goes and nails it.
    Yeah, I've done a fair bit of cycling in much hotter conditions but that was the hottest ever long run I've had.
    I suppose my unspoken 2:50 was a bit wild in retrospect, but weather and "being in the zone" as per DCM '09 would have brought it a bit closer. Incidentally the course is not pancake flat as I expected, there are very gentle undulations which I think actually help give the legs a bit of a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

wow, great running again aero2k +thanks for the report !

Looks like your well cut out for the long distance stuff ! :D

Id say he was lucky to get 3.20. He was walking looking in bad condition when i passed him with about 2 miles to go. Thats why i thought it was you, id say 3.25 more like.

fair play to him cos he went past me somewhere in the last mile or so....i remember seeing him at mile 16 reverse stretch....thought it was cool to have the tri colour vest...

good idea for international marathons!

tisnotover wrote: »
    wow, great running again aero2k +thanks for the report !

Looks like your well cut out for the long distance stuff ! :D

Thanks tno,

I've been keeping an eye on yoursef and Sosa's prep for Cork, and envying your speed - in fact you both inspired me to up my PMP pace a bit.

I'll be expecting great reports from you both in a couple of weeks.

I hit 10 in 64:50 which is actually my 10pb and half in 1:25:10 which is just outside my half PB!

thats some going aero2k, just goes to show that its not all about how fast you run the shorter distances....

good report, and i can second all of what you said(except the finish :))

seanynova wrote: »
    thats some going aero2k, just goes to show that its not all about how fast you run the shorter distances....

good report, and i can second all of what you said(except the finish :))

Thanks Sean, well done on finishing in a very good time - especially if you subtract the stopped time. I'm almost certain if I had to stop for any reason that would have been the end of my race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Thanks tno,

I've been keeping an eye on yoursef and Sosa's prep for Cork, and envying your speed - in fact you both inspired me to up my PMP pace a bit.

I'll be expecting great reports from you both in a couple of weeks.

Thanks aero2k, will do best for the report ;) ...you'll probably make a separate training report about this, but were you doing PMP runs outside of your LSR or at end of a LSR ??

Also interesting to read that you use the DS Trainer and HyperSpeed III's, (I train and race in both as well)...love asics ! :D

Advertisement