Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest double bass ever...

• 12-09-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Was just checking out dying fetus' new album on youtube there and came across this song. Not great, but skip to 2:44 and listen to the fecking speed of that thing!

Here's another pretty fast one but I think it's the same speed as the dying fetus song. SKip to 1:30!

Can anyone show me any faster???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Least the second one has a point in it, the first one seems out of place and it's like they decided it to be in there for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Overblood wrote: »
    Can anyone show me any faster???

nope:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Stev_o wrote: »
    Least the second one has a point in it, the first one seems out of place and it's like they decided it to be in there for the sake of it.

Haha yeah he's just leathering away for the sake of it. Still cool as shit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Like a minigun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've always loved the double bass technique of Raymond Herrera (ex. Fear Factory). Have a listen to the riff at 2:12 in this video:

• Advertisement

I was lucky enough to see fear factory live in dublin! Ray Hererra is actually a beast, but lately he's pretty messy. That song ain't fast though^^^ :pac:

Here's one from Dimmu Borgir @ 3:40:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The drummer from Divine Heresy bores me to tears. Honestly, what good is speed if you're not going to do anything interesting with it?

Now personally I think this is a great metal drummer:

Watch what he does from 2:35 - 2:51 very closely. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I was lucky enough to see fear factory live in dublin! Ray Hererra is actually a beast, but lately he's pretty messy. That song ain't fast though^^^ :pac:

Here's one from Dimmu Borgir @ 3:40:

I want footage of his legs ACTUALLY DOING THAT.. before I believe its humanly possible.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    I want footage of his legs ACTUALLY DOING THAT.. before I believe its humanly possible.

You doubt the mighty Hellhammer? He's quite something, but his work with Dimmu Borgir is pretty dull. Give his drumming a listen to with Arcturus here. And here's a drum solo for good measure:

But that kind of drumming is more than humanly possible, check out Mike Mangini if you want to see someone who can really push your belief of what's humanly possible:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The crazy thing about hellhammer is he plays in big massive boots...that man is a machine.

As for more crazy fast drummers, you cant forget george kolais from Nile.

If you want to check out some more proficient drummers id check out Vitek(r.i.p.) from polish death metal band decapitated or chris pennie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Patricide wrote: »
    The crazy thing about hellhammer is he plays in big massive boots...that man is a machine.

As for more crazy fast drummers, you cant forget george kolais from Nile.

If you want to check out some more proficient drummers id check out Vitek(r.i.p.) from polish death metal band decapitated or chris pennie.

He's so horribly boring though. I lost most of my interest in Nile once Tony Laureano left.

Il agree hes boring, but he can sure as hell play. I mean my fave drummers would be mike portnoy, andols herrick, vitek, josh freese and danny carey none of them are exceptionally fast but there stuff is just interesting to listen to.

Morf wrote: »
    I lost most of my interest in Nile once Tony Laureano left.

Ah, thank you! I thought Tony Laureano was far better as well, but people all seem to love George Kolias because he's faster. Honestly, I'd say In Their Darkened Shrines was a far, far better album than Annihilation of the Wicked or Ithyphalic. I remember seeing Nile back when they played in Eamon Dorans on the Darkened Shrines tour, and was chatting with Tony for ages afterwards in Fibbers. Great guy, and a terrific drummer.

But yeah, I very much agree with you, completely lost interest in Nile as well.

Ah, thank you! I thought Tony Laureano was far better as well, but people all seem to love George Kolias because he's faster. Honestly, I'd say In Their Darkened Shrines was a far, far better album than Annihilation of the Wicked or Ithyphalic. I remember seeing Nile back when they played in Eamon Dorans on the Darkened Shrines tour, and was chatting with Tony for ages afterwards in Fibbers. Great guy, and a terrific drummer.

I liked annihilation of the wicked ithyphalic i thought was rubbish.

I'm almost sure i was at that gig too. I was standing right beside him as he warmed up on a practice mat at the side of the stage. I'm glad to hear he's a nice guy too. I think a couple of my mates who were underage at the time tried to get Karl to pull some strings for them.

Patricide wrote: »
    I liked annihilation of the wicked ithyphalic i thought was rubbish.

Lashed to the slavestick was the only good song i found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

that first Dying Fetus vid was so muddy sounding, I couldn't tell how fast the double bass was.
    Morf wrote: »
    He's so horribly boring though. I lost most of my interest in Nile once Tony Laureano left.

I don't know how you guys can say Kolias is boring, when this vid is possible the most unboring drumming I've heard from a death metal drummer.
    But playing straight double bass is easy, and after a while it gets boring hearing the same blast beats used over. Thomas Haake plays ****in fast, but still make it complicated and interesting.

That george kolias video rocks^^^.

Here's one from Morbid Angel's Pete "The Commando" Sandoval. Skip to 1:20!!

Il plus one thomas haake, some drummer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The drummer from Divine Heresy bores me to tears. Honestly, what good is speed if you're not going to do anything interesting with it?

Now personally I think this is a great metal drummer:

Watch what he does from 2:35 - 2:51 very closely. :D

I like Mournier in Cryptopsy, but his solo stuff I find very dull.
    Can't really think of who the fastest is, I've always pretty much thought of Sean Reinert and Mournier as my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That song might not be the fastest but it's still pretty intense. I've always preferred songs where the drums aren't just a relentless blast of percussion and the breakdown on that song is fantastic (and damned difficult to play on guitar, no idea about the drums ;) )
    Well said, there's no doubt Tim Yeung is technically proficient but his drumming might as well be coming from a machine for all the feeling it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I've always been a fan of Derek "one take" Roddy. His footwork is really astounding. I've been looking in to getting those Axis pedals too!

Advertisement