Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite internet help

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Could any one help me...im looking for satellite internet in donegal north west area. dont have phone line so thats only solutiont i have ...i think..been told that is providers for broadband with sat dishes ...help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deestan

Deestan wrote: »
    Could any one help me...im looking for satellite internet in donegal north west area. dont have phone line so thats only solutiont i have ...i think..been told that is providers for broadband with sat dishes ...help
    any satellite internet companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Deestan wrote: »

There are two types of internet via a Satellite. Two-way and One-way.

In all network traffic there is an upload stream (small amount of data) and a download stream (depending on what you are doing - a large amount of data).

On One-way Satellite broadband, the upload is typically handled by either a standard dial-up connection or mobile internet type device. The download stream is handled by the satellite.

So you type in a website address (request), this request is sent to the your Satellite Internet provider over dial-up (or other), they formulate a response but don't send it back over the dial-up, instead they send it up to the satellite, which then sends it down to your dish, the LNB on the dish sends in into the modem in your PC and software then presents it as data on your screen.

A provider of One-way satellite internet is: SkyDSL. Nothing to do with BSkyB.

I had SkyDSL a few years ago and used a 3 mobile phone on which I purchased a monthly data package. This was the slow GPRS mobile internet which I used for upload, while the Satellite was used for download. It was a decent setup until Fix Wireless Access came to our area.
    EDIT: Using a mobile phone with data bundle allows you gives you access to the net at a fixed cost, albeit on two separate bills (Satellite + Mobile provider). Using dial-up (not possible in your case anyway) means you pay by the minute.

Two-way satellite broadband is where you communicate directly with the satellite (I think). So you need a special dish and LNB which can send the upload stream to the Sat and receive the download stream from the Sat. This will be a more costly setup, but I believe Astra2Connect have decent pricing.

Here is an Irish provider for Astra2Connect: http://www.abbtelecom.ie/index.php

EDIT: Are you sure there are no mobile "broadband" providers in your area, or better yet, any companies offering Fixed Wireless Access? If you see little transmitters (either square or circular, the size of small backpack) mounted on a pole on people houses around your area I'd definitely do that route for Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deestan

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement