Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have one year. Which should I do - Art or TG?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Basically, I'm in the 6th form IOE. And, well. I went all of 5th thinking '**** it, i'll do Latin'. Yeah. Little did I know, it was terrible. Yet I was too lazy to change classes all year.

So this is me - Currently, I have 1 year to do either Art or TG in the Institute of Education. And I'm leaning towards TG, because it seems like there is a lot less project work in it. But I don't know, really, because I haven't done TG since I was in first year. So can anyone give me guidance on this? I'd rather do art. Because I'm probably better at it. But I don't think I'd be able to get all the project work done in like 8 or 9 months.

Does anyone have experience they'd like to share with me? Give me guidance in my time of need?

Also, does anyone know if they'll let me use photography alongside my art portfolio? (If I did pick art).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't do a portfolio for LC Art.
    If you'd rather do Art, do Art.

Make sure you cover the Art History well.

See this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

no portfolio? Hell.

/thread, basically. Doing art then. Thanks, dawg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you haven't done TG since first year, then I'd say forgett that idea. I found it quite tough when I did it for JC and as you might expect the course only gets harder in the leaving. I know people who got As in JC TG who stuggled to pass it in the leaving cert.

Art might be a better choice, provided you have a lot of natural ability, are willing to put in a fair amount of work and get the history under control. However its nigh impossible to get a high grade in art. I've actually never met anyone who got an A in it...I've heard legends of course, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Ditto above poster.

Do not even think about DCG if you haven't done TG since 1st year. It's not about drawing from measurements like the logos you did in 1st year, its all constructions like latus rectums, centre of curvature, dihedral angles between planes, construction of porabolas given only a point on the curve and the focus, skew boreholes etc.

There is a lot to learn and you do very little drawing in leaving cert due to the time involved in the project. (Which reminds me you have no solidworks experience either). 40 hours my bollocks, I spent 40 hours in the last week of the project alone doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Well it depends what grade your looking for.
    Tech really has the core concepts, roadworkings and the project. If you put in the work, you could learn the basics of tech and pass it. You might even get an honours with enough work.

Art might be easier because you could sit down and learn all the theory, history etc... But then there's the portfolio - getting an A might be a little difficult :o

If you dont think you'll be able 2 put in the work needed, you should probably stick to latin.

• Advertisement

FreeT wrote: »
    Art might be easier because you could sit down and learn all the theory, history etc... But then there's the portfolio - getting an A might be a little difficult :o
    There's no portfolio for leaving cert art.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Lawliet wrote: »
    There's no portfolio for leaving cert art.
    so what do you do?:confused:
    is there a project r sumthin?

DC09 wrote: »
    so what do you do?:confused:
    is there a project r sumthin?
    Read the thread spurious linked to, I've already explained it there. But basically there's four exams:
    Still life/ Imaginary composition
    Life drawing
    Craft work/ Design
    Art History and Appreciation

The first three -the actual art exams- are done in early May and the history paper is in June.

Advertisement