Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With Crouch Starting Our Tactics Were Shot From The Start

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Once I saw Crouch starting tonight I was unhappy. When you play someone like United its all about possesion and keeping the ball. United close you down fast and attack fast. It puts serious pressure on the opposition and forces them to pass quickly. For the first 15 minutes or so we retained the ball well but then as the early pace of the game slowed us down we left time and space for them to get on the ball. What did we do! We looked up, saw Crouch and lumped it. Now Harry should have known this would happen. All teams do it with a big tall front man ( just look at Villa with Heskey ) and you cant do that with United, as they showed tonight they'll just eat you up. Jenas came on at half time but what was the point if we were just hoofing it over the top. No balls to feet and no chance for Jenas to get on the ball. Why Harry didnt take Crouch off instead of Keane beats me when we were actualy getting back into it. So on came Niko along side Jenas and neither of them got a chance to touch the ball. I think tonight we've seen Arrys only big failure IMO and thats not admitting he was wrong with the tactic and standing by it. IMO Crouch should not have started. Bring him on 2 up with 20 to go for sure but not to start against such a good side as United. Why not start Kranjcar on the left with Keane in behind Defoe, pass to feet and retain possesion! I hope after seeing how good some of these footballers in our team are that we dont waste it by becoming lumpers. Maybe just an over reaction on my part but I dont want to see Crouch start many more games thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

I agree with ya mate! Didnt like the fact that he started, cause alot of long balls to him were played right from the off which i'm not a fan of! I think he's a great guy to change things up, but we should not be using him as the easy option for kick outs! more ball on the ground!
    Though modric was abig loss! you could see the passing wasnt there in the final third without him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Joycee

100% agree with you both. Lennon had a few good runs - but not enough of that was produced. Why was Hutton brought on for Corluka, didnt think he brought anything offensively to the game and might have been suspect on the rooney goal. I thought Corluka was doing fine.

What did the lads who were at the game think??

We've got to pick ourselves up after this and get ready for Sunday versus Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

still cant get me head around it why with the midfield we have did arry play keane on the wing . also when were chasing for goals how come pav was left sitting on the bench he has 3 goals in two games {i know 2 were penos}

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Was at the game and to be honest I think we lost the battle from a tactical point of view. Keane was not working on the left, he played most of the game in the middle and yet a lot of ball went out to Benny who had nowhere to go bar route 1 as keane wasnt there. I thought crouch being up there further encouraged the long ball and we lost all the good things about our game so far this year.

Another thing very noticable at the game was the way the utd players were at the ref after every decision, Fletcher was constantly in his ear and I believe that this influenced a fair few decisions. Not nice to see all game but if it works and all that . . none of our lads said much to him not attempt to influence. If you wonder why utd get so many frees etc this gamesmanship if you can call it that has a lot to do with it.

I thought some players looked tired, Wilson/Arron in particular and as they have been the drivers behind a lot of our success so far this season. Without these key players firing it seems that we have no one else (King aside) to lead and take the game to other teams lifting the rest of the players.

Its only one result and against the best team in the country for the past few years and though the manner in which we lost it was dissapointing, am hoping now that the lads get a little rest, good weeks training and are back firing for the Russian game. It will be a tough test with the start they have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Was at the game too ya Rooney was by far the biggest moaner although everyone of them was at it didn't like the lump it up to to crouch bit was dissapointed with it but hopefully keane and defoe will start up front against chelsea and the team gets a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

it was all tactics that lost the game for u. you never change a winning team and thats exactly what we did. lennon could have played on the left and bentley on the right or else kranjcar on the left. playing keane on the left was madness. and dont talk to me about bringing on "mutton". absolute crap player, nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

mickman wrote: »
    it was all tactics that lost the game for u. you never change a winning team and thats exactly what we did. lennon could have played on the left and bentley on the right or else kranjcar on the left. playing keane on the left was madness. and dont talk to me about bringing on "mutton". absolute crap player, nuff said

Hutton for Charlie was insane - Pav should have come on - Hutton should be left go in January, hopeless attempt for 3rd goal.

Tiredness from Int duty did not help - pity we are not playing them this sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

I agree, presence of crouch encouraged (as predicted) a long - ball game and so utd just picked us off with their passing and possession game & deserved their win. Why did we have to change from the winning formula?!

Advertisement