Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k Crookstown Motorway run

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Leaflet on this in the goody bag at the Pearl Izumi run.
    Entry fee is €30. All proceeds to charity according to the leaflet. Still, is this the dearest 10K on these islands :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Entry fee is €30. All proceeds to charity according to the leaflet. Still, is this the dearest 10K on these islands :confused:

It's nice to see the money going to charity but for me 20 euro is my max for these type races and considering todays race only cost me 10 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've entered it (I didn't have a race in November). I am hoping to experience a nice flat 10k.
    The Dublin Port Tunnel 10k had a good fast return leg, but the crowds made it difficult to make a good time. I am hoping that this race will be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

450/500 runners registered so far (and I'm one of them). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ill be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Nope. The GalwayBay 10k which was run this weekend was a whooping 60 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just registered. Where can I see the route and the elevation profile?

450 of 500 have registered, where did you hear that? How soon is it likely to sell out. Trying to convince my mates to register before its too late but they are very slow about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Agree its a bit steep @ €30, bit its probably only a once off can't see the M9 being closed again for a race. Never ran an official 10k so will be giving it a lash.

Should be flat as a pancake with a perfect surface...

My PB for 10km is 46:59 from the Great Ireland Run last year. How would that time translate into a race that is completely flat like this one? Sub 46?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Yes, I am entering this as well. My 10K best of 39:36 appears quite soft compared with what I have run at longer distances.

04072511 wrote: »
    My PB for 10km is 46:59 from the Great Ireland Run last year. How would that time translate into a race that is completely flat like this one? Sub 46?
    With this one, I think it really depends on the wind on the day (and how much training you've done since your last 10k). Besides, who says it's flat? :)

• Advertisement

Just registered. Where can I see the route and the elevation profile?

450 of 500 have registered, where did you hear that? How soon is it likely to sell out. Trying to convince my mates to register before its too late but they are very slow about these things.
    I got an email from them last week to say 450/500. May have just been trying to get people to get their skates on. Don't think you'll get a route or elevation profile until after the race, at which point, it'll just be too late. Maybe If you go early, they'll let you drive the route!

I got an email from them last week to say 450/500. May have just been trying to get people to get their skates on. Don't think you'll get a route or elevation profile until after the race, at which point, it'll just be too late. Maybe If you go early, they'll let you drive the route!

I'm assuming it will be a straight out and back course?

Besides, who says it's flat? :)
    I think it was on the flyer, but is mentioned on the ActiveEurope entry page.
    Fast, flat new motorway course, a great opportunity to beat your 10k personal best

With this one, I think it really depends on the wind on the day (and how much training you've done since your last 10k). Besides, who says it's flat? :)

Surely this course would be "out and back" meaning any disadvantage of running into the wind for one half of the course would be compensated by having the wind at your back for the second half, so not making a difference overall, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Beags6257

Surely this course would be "out and back" meaning any disadvantage of running into the wind for one half of the course would be compensated by having the wind at your back for the second half, so not making a difference overall, no?

Hi All, This course runs down one side of the closed motorway, over the flyover and back the opposite side of the road (to where you will have parked your car).

We've had a great response so far with nearly 500 people registered to date and this number is growing daily. We'll need to close the registration at around the 600 mark. People are coming from all over the country for this one and you won't be disappointed. We have a great range of age, nationality and more importantly, ability. My guess is that the winner will do it in under 32mins .... but don't hold me to that.

All going to plan, you'll get a 5k split time (taken on the flyover) with your 10k final result texted to your phone soon after the race has finished.

See you at the start line on 7th November.

D'oh! <Slaps head>. Of course it will. Unless of course the wind changes direction. :)

Sounds good Beags6257, is there a water-stop planned?

Sounds good Beags6257, is there a water-stop planned?
    It'll be November - it might need to be a coffee/tea station :p
    We could probably get away without a water stop. Was there one for the Dublin Port Tunnel 10k (and it was hot inside the tunnel).

daymobrew wrote: »
    We could probably get away without a water stop. Was there one for the Dublin Port Tunnel 10k (and it was hot inside the tunnel).

One water station at the central barrier that will service both sides of the road so if you miss it on the way up, you are sure to get it on the way back. Plenty of refreshments (including hot tea/coffee and maybe soup) at the finish line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

daymobrew wrote: »
    It was and there was, but as a water stop it was a bit of a joke. The first few guys might have had their cups ready poured, but by the time I got there they were pouring from a drum/keg tap into cups while competitors queued in an unordered line. Needless to say, I decided not to wait and I heard they ran out of water soon after anyway.

(On the more practical matter of whether you need water for a 10k, the answer is no, but for many people that's 60min+ of running so it is nice to be offered some.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Let's say on a windless day you could run 25 mins each way for a 50 min 10k. (average speed 12km/h) Now assume the wind adds or subtracts 1km/h to/from your pace. On the way out with the wind at your back you'll run at 13km/h taking 23:04, and on the return into the wind you'll do 11km/h and take 27:16 for a total of 50:20. The imbalance is due to spending more time at the lower average speed. The above makes lots of assumptions, but I reckon you don't get back what you lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Fee is WAY too much. Did the Lakes 10k for €18 and it was brilliant. Too much money in these tough times irrespective of the charties involved. They are all good causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

i008787 wrote: »
    Fee is WAY too much. Did the Lakes 10k for €18 and it was brilliant. Too much money in these tough times irrespective of the charties involved. They are all good causes.

+1.
    I notice that the proceeds are going to St. Laurence national School. While i've no doubt it's a worthy cause, i can't help wondering about the waste of the taxes i've paid over the last few years that result in a national school having to depend on charity to keep going...(having said that, i'm not familiar with the particular circumstances of the school).

Tawfee wrote: »
    i can't help wondering about the waste of the taxes i've paid over the last few years that result in a national school having to depend on charity to keep going...(having said that, i'm not familiar with the particular circumstances of the school).
    All schools are underfunded. The FAQ at the bottom of the Educate Together FAQ
    ET FAQ wrote:
    How are Educate Together schools funded?
    Educate Together National Schools are funded (or under-funded) on an exactly equal basis as other National Schools in Ireland. ... snip...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just put my name down for this one.

As close as I can figure out from the terrain on Google maps it looks to be pretty flat, there will be at least one hill though wherever it is that we turn round and head back the other way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

From trying to figure out the contour lines on the pdf map they sent us I think it will be uphill for the first half and downhill for the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

From the email "Personal music players are permitted" :rolleyes:

ike wrote: »

When are they not? :confused:

This is a quick note to let you know that registration for the 10k Crookstown Motorway Run has now closed at 700 runners ..... See you all at the start line on the day !!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

ike wrote: »

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would also like to know when are they not allowed. Ive only done 3 4mile races but i want to do a HM and possibly a full marathon next year and would like to know if they are usually disallowed over longer distances. I have always ran to music so cutting it out would be really hard to do

• Advertisement

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    I have always ran to music so cutting it out would be really hard to do
    Running in a crowd in a race is very different to running on your own - easier IMO, because the crowd motivates you.
    Beags6257 wrote: »
    This is a quick note to let you know that registration for the 10k Crookstown Motorway Run has now closed at 700 runners ..... See you all at the start line on the day !!
    Mmm, an event that is "limited to first 500 entries" suddenly has 700 participants.

Advertisement