Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which laptop??

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hey all,
    just started college and bought an ACER e-machine ms2257. i havebeen told that it prob not the best laptop for current climate but i dont know. it has 1 GB RAM 160GB hard drive and comes preloaded with windows vista home basic.

can anyone tell me if these specifications are adequate for college life or would i need a better machine?? looking for laptop for 400-450 euros..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

blogger636 wrote: »
    hey all,
    just started college and bought an ACER e-machine ms2257. i havebeen told that it prob not the best laptop for current climate but i dont know. it has 1 GB RAM 160GB hard drive and comes preloaded with windows vista home basic.

can anyone tell me if these specifications are adequate for college life or would i need a better machine?? looking for laptop for 400-450 euros..

ACER's are generally terrible machines. The spec is good, if you take out Vista, but overall you can find miles better machines out there. Compaq are quite good, as are Fujitsu Siemans and HP.

Check out Harvey Normans or Soundstore cos they usually have good deals.

And don't forget to ask if they can throw in an internet cable and a laptop bag. It may sound farfetched but they might just do it. Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Dell have a deal on for a laptop with 4GB RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alexn

Some netbooks I recommend are the Acer Aspire one and the Asus Eee PC. Those are some of the most common ones i see around me campus in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

aaronh007 wrote: »
    ACER's are generally terrible machines. The spec is good, if you take out Vista, but overall you can find miles better machines out there. Compaq are quite good, as are Fujitsu Siemans and HP.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. Acers, in my opinion, are actually not bad. The problem is with the spec of that particular machine - 1Gb RAM is a bit on the low side for Vista. Then again, ask 1,000 people, you will get 1,000 different opinions.

Also, and this is the most important point, it all depends on what the intended use of the laptop is. If it's for basic word processing, e-mail and internet, then it will do fine.

If it is for running specific software, it may struggle with it. I certainly wouldn't use it for any kind of design/programming/gaming type tasks.

The cheapest option would be to upgrade the memory - check out www.shop4memory.com. They have an online configuration tool where you enter the make and model of your laptop, and they tell you what memory you need. See if you can get 4Gb, if not, 2Gb will have to do.
    Check out Harvey Normans or Soundstore cos they usually have good deals.

In my experience, Harvey Norman sell cheap and cheerful laptops, at cheap and cheerful prices.
    And don't forget to ask if they can throw in an internet cable and a laptop bag. It may sound farfetched but they might just do it. Worked for me

Not sure what you mean by an internet cable? :) Do you mean an ethernet cable? Generally speaking, that should not be necessary as all laptops come with wireless these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

Ive had two toshiba satellite pros and they held up alot better than the acer 55-something-or other,which developed faults pretty rapid.id reckon a toshiba or a sony is a better bet if the laptop is going to be stuffed in your bag and carried around college all day,used as a make shift pillow at 5:15 am thursday night or thrown at waffle-talking TDs trying to worm their way back to the dail. Also the battery on my current toshiba lasts a good two hours even say watching DVDs whereas i found the acer battery was rewduced to ten minute capacity six months after i got it.Still trying to flog it, of course!

• Advertisement
Advertisement