Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Irish Independence Been A Success?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Is Ireland a better place thanks to independence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Yes, considering we have functioned extremely well for our small little island in the Atlantic. The standard of living is extremely high and we have great prospects for the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well, I'd say that judging by the complete lack of British bobbies on our streeets, yes, a resounding one. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ask yourself this, would you rather be ruled from the commons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

probably. we are a hell of a lot more liberal than britland, no matter what anyone says. foreigners there are treated with a lot of suspicion, and while there's a degree of it here, it's nowhere near as bad. spent 7 years there and couldn't wait to leave.
    around the time of independence there was serious suppression of GAA and irish language, so from those points i'd say we're better. our education system is way better for all it's faults too.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

are the jews better off since they were freed from the nazi concentration camps??

• Advertisement

Well you only have to look at whats happening on the streets of Birmingham to decipher that Ireland are are better off being independent from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

although, why are some people still paying ground rent to lords in the uk on the houses that they own? still think that's a shame. even the GPO is subject to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 flamez911

are the jews better off since they were freed from the nazi concentration camps??

Holy crap, did you just equate Ireland under the Act of Union to the Holocaust? That's a pretty goddamn extreme comment and better have some backing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

stepbar wrote: »
    Well you only have to look at whats happening on the streets of Birmingham to decipher that Ireland are are better off being independent from the UK.

I don't mean to ask the obvious but what is happening on the streets of Birmingham?

The accent is awful but I am not aware of anything brewing on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Overall, yes.

We still have a lot of work to do though.

• Advertisement

although, why are some people still paying ground rent to lords in the uk on the houses that they own? still think that's a shame. even the GPO is subject to it!

I'd say in order for the British to have willingly signed Ireland over, they must have agreed that there would be no forcible removal of property. Same thing that if Ireland were to become 32 county, anyone who leaves Northern Ireland to go to the UK will still own their house and property unless they sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I will say no.

What have we to show for it? A bunch of self serving policitians with no sense of right or wrong who have run the country into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

Ground rent is irrelevant. Bobbies are irrelevant.

It wasn't the question asked, which was this: is Ireland a better place as a result of independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

"Is Ireland a better place thanks to independence?"

An impossible question to answer in many ways as the alternative narrative is an unknown, and it is a very very broad question too. Does it mean better politically, economically, socially, culturally etc.?

It is probably too early to say really as we still have so much post-colonial crap going on.

But Scotland, for example, has hardly prospered under the union in the past 90 years.

I would say Independence was overwhelmingly a good thing and will be seen to be a good thing in the long run. Whether it is a better place as a result is impossible to say but it certainly is a different place and I think that is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

All we have achieved is a banana republic dominated by an elite of self-serving politicians and an economic elite. Nothing to write home about in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Independence has only worked as part of a greater body of nations - who have thrown 30 billion euro at the place since 1973.

FTA69 wrote: »
    All we have achieved is a banana republic dominated by an elite of self-serving politicians and an economic elite. Nothing to write home about in other words.

Well, at least we have not gone down the road of far right parties which is not something that a lot of European countries can boast.

All politicians are self-serving and I think that, given the relative infancy of the Oireachtas, we have not had the time to implement correct checks and balances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You think it would be rushing things after nearly 90 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Hopefully a United Ireland will be achieve soon then I would call it 100% successful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Domino Effect on the empire. We f*cking rule

• Advertisement

I don't mean to ask the obvious but what is happening on the streets of Birmingham?

The accent is awful but I am not aware of anything brewing on the streets.

Turn on Sky News and you'll see about the Anti Muslim marches perpetrated by English scum.

Luckily, we have no scum in Ireland.

Luckily, we have no scum in Ireland.

Lucky aren't we :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Bond-007 wrote: »

I will say no.

What have we to show for it? A bunch of self serving policitians with no sense of right or wrong who have run the country into the ground.

This implies that if we had remained part of the UK our politicians would be different. If you had been reading about the expenses scandals in recent months in the UK political establishment you would have been aware that it is in fact no different in the UK.

So if your sole criterion for judging the success or otherwise of Independence is the morals of politicians then it must be a very qualified 'no' as the alternative would probably be worse as we'd have been following the US into wars as well as having corrupt politicians.

Nobody said it was the sole criterion. Where did you get that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Turn on Sky News and you'll see about the Anti Muslim marches perpetrated by English scum.

Anti-Islamic. No more right-wing than anti-Christian secularism, generally considered leftwing.

Nobody said it was the sole criterion. Where did you get that from?

from the guy s\he was replying to who gave it as his sole criteria.

I didn't see anyone saying it was the sole criterion though I'm open to correction if you can point out where that was said.

However, it's irrelevant and a sidetrack, as it certainly wasn't the premise of the original question, which was this: is Ireland a better place following independence?

It clealy is not irrelevent and is open to refutation if someone comments like this

Note the All, bit. I boldified it.

Yes, ireland is a better place. London ( and Dublin) are over-centralised. I cant imagine were the only Irish representation in London, across both Parties, that we would have much input into anything. Would things be worse? Would london have an IDA? Would Ireland ( not the UK) get a dispropotrionate amount of the world's capital investments.

Of course not.....

• Advertisement

Would we have needed a Ryan report?

Advertisement