Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows broken at my new rented house

Options
  • 12-09-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I only realised after moving in that none of the windows can open the handles are all broken. So there are about 5 windows in the whole place only 2 open. The one in my room cant open and it just feels stuffy in there. I havent brought it up with the landlord because I am not pushed to have them fixed and dont want to cause hassle but I am worried he will turn around at the end of lease and say it was my fault windows broken or claim he never knew, which I know is not possible as he rented it out as holiday accommodation by the week before we moved in so he would have been here a lot. Where do I stand on this and what actions should i take? My boyfriend reckons we should say nothing. Also what came to mind was the safety factor i.e if there was a fire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Eh of course I would open my mouth! Your room will get very stuffy and start smelling if you can't let SOME air into it... Ring your landlord and voice your concerns re safety if there's a fire etc... he has to fix it by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Best to say it now.
    Or better still send a letter, not a nasty letter, just point out what needs to be fixed.

I had a similar situation when I moved into this flat. The balcony door wouldn't lock so my neighbours could have cleaned me out.
    Agreed with the landlord that I'd get a tradesman and I'd take the cost off the next rental bill.

If you leave this the landlord will think it's not serious.
    And if it's never fixed a chancer may decide to fix it and take it out of your deposit.

Be firm and fair, talk to your landlord. :)
    They want a happy tenant

I was thinking about the fire hazard of having blocked windows but I don't know the regulations. Sounds dodgy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Under the minimum standards for private rented accommodation every room MUST have an openable window. Under the Private Residential Tenancies Act 2004 you must bring any faults to the landlord's attention as you can in theory be held liable for repairs had you not pointed it out when you moved in.

Yes, put it in writing to the landlord. Allow what you consider a reasonable time period for them to make the repairs. If it is not acted on contact Threshold or your local Environmental Health Officer.

Do not overlook this. It is a serious issue and you are within your rights to have it remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Possibly a new boyfriend also?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

5Aces wrote: »
    Possibly a new boyfriend also?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Durga wrote: »
    Under the minimum standards for private rented accommodation every room MUST have an openable window. Under the Private Residential Tenancies Act 2004 you must bring any faults to the landlord's attention as you can in theory be held liable for repairs had you not pointed it out when you moved in.

Yes, put it in writing to the landlord. Allow what you consider a reasonable time period for them to make the repairs. If it is not acted on contact Threshold or your local Environmental Health Officer.

Do not overlook this. It is a serious issue and you are within your rights to have it remedied.

Thanks for that info I think I have sorted it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

LaLucy wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    Take it s/he was talking about your boyfriends lack of thought for your general safety and or laziness ;)

Advertisement