Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun non-pub/club casual things to do of a lazy evening in the city centre?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Not being a terribly great wanderer and explorer, but now mid-dragged-out-move into the city centre, I'm wondering what there is to do in the rare evenings that aren't claimed by work or general exhaustion :D

Apart, that is, from going to a pub (I don't drink much) or a club (I'm an old fart so they're too loud with their noise, these youngsters) or a strip joint (because herself indoors doesn't get much of a kick from them :pac: ).

And since spare lazy evenings are rare things, activities that require a degree of invested time (like, say, going to the dojo) aren't really the best idea. Something that can be done with herself would be good too, obviously. And the cinema's grand, but something else on the menu would be nice for a bit of variety.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.historicalinsights.ie/specialtours/revolutionaries.php
    Women in Irish History

Women have been virtually written out of history. Yet in Irish mythology, powerful women such as Queen Meadbh of Connacht feature prominently. Red Hugh O'Donnell, who rebelled against the English in the 1590's, owed his position to his wily mother, Iníon Dubh (Dark Daughter).

The O'Malleys of Connacht were led by Granuaile (bald Grace), a legendary sea captain and pirate. With the spread of English common law, however, women assumed less prominent roles. However, during the land war (early 1880's), when Charles Stewart Parnell and other male leaders were imprisoned, his sisters Anna and Fanny established a Ladies' Land League, renowned for its efficiency and militancy. Women were to the fore in the Irish Revolution (1916-1923) but suffered setbacks thereafter. The tour concludes with consideration of the position of women in Irish society today

http://www.hiddendublinwalks.com/dublin-walking-tour-walks.html#sexual
    SAINTS AND SINNERS DUBLIN WALKING TOUR
    A Vice Day Out For Curious Tourists

Forget Dublin's fair city - Sexual excess, repression, hypocrisy, hilarity and tribulation are all here on the Saints And Sinners Sexual Dublin Walk! Ireland’s chequered sexual history is more contradictory than any other country in Europe. See what used to be Europe’s largest and most notorious red-light district and learn which member of the royal family lost his virginity here. Learn about sexual “crimes” such as “being too pretty”, the questionable sexuality of St Patrick, the trials and executions of homosexuals, the sexual revolution and much more!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the tea rooms?

there are loads of touristy type walking tours in the centre which are very interesting and good fun.

check out this website http://www.dublintourist.com/popular_dublin/

it also lists all the shows and exhibitions happening in the city.

also register with the temple bar culture trust, they will email you with all the upcoming events http://www.templebar.ie/home.php

you have the free out door movies in templebar but there is loads happening there every night of the week.

dublin is full of brilliants things to do besides going to the pub

go forth and enjoy our wonderful capital city:)

Tried geocaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tried geocaching?
    To be blunt, I heard about it and thought "Gosh, that's frightfully geeky".
    And that's from me.
    Who's not exactly the Fonz, you know?

Sparks wrote: »
    To be blunt, I heard about it and thought "Gosh, that's frightfully geeky".
    And that's from me.
    Who's not exactly the Fonz, you know?

Wow just wow.

My kids love it, it's treasure hunting with clever riddles as clues and they get to use tech.

So segway tours of the phoenix park would be too nerdy as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thaedydal wrote: »
    My kids love it, it's treasure hunting with clever riddles as clues and they get to use tech.
    Highlighting the key word there. I can see it being enormous fun with kids.

Can I just say that I'd rather not knock herself up to have a good time... if there's actually any way to say that and not sound like I have no idea of what a good time is?

:pac:
    So segway tours of the phoenix park would be too nerdy as well?
    Actually, I'd be quite likely to ignore the tour and go play on the segway for a while. And probably have to be chased down by the tour leader on his segway. Which does sound entertaining, if a little shouty.

mall_cop_segway.jpg

Sparks wrote: »
    Highlighting the key word there. I can see it being enormous fun with kids.

Can I just say that I'd rather not knock herself up to have a good time... if there's actually any way to say that and not sound like I have no idea of what a good time is?

:pac:

But she will have a big kid with her...

Advertisement