Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Interactive Media

• 12-09-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Does anybody know what the hours/timetable is like for this course. Starting it on the 21st and need to know for work and stuff.

Also, if you have any suggestions for modules to do etc, it would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tara23buy

Hey I know its few years on but Im looking to do this course in UCC ..Would you advise it? can you give me some info from your experience please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi, I have heard from a friend of mine that the course is very much 50/50 when it comes to theory and practical elements. Its fairly demanding and requires a committment of a 100%! There are a lot of subjects. you do 6 compulsory subjects and a choice of 6 option subjects as part of your modules but you end up doing 12 exams the end of the year - all written with some practical elements! The major project then is after the exams during the summer months. A good bit of programming and design but more emphasis on programming rather than design. You be very busy! Roughly average 9 assignments a week, might only have a maximum of 2-3 weeks to complete each one so a lot of deadlines to meet. Timetable is quiet full for each of the semesters more so for the second term! Hours are very long have heard lectures can go on from the morning right until 6 or 7pm in the evenings every day during the week! Very little time for breaks maybe the odd hour off now and again but you will probably use that time for completing assignments! I'd expect you will have to go into college on saturdays to just do assignments alone! I have done a module in multimedia before in college and often had to do that!

Not putting you off or anything just heard its a really hard course and you need to be prepared to do the work, no hand holding from lecturers you be expected to do things yourself and learn from classmates! There is a bit of a math's angle too it in one subject image authoring of some sort. There is a good bit of flash and photoshop and other programming languages in it. You be learning a lot of different software.

Not everyone who applies can get into it I'm afraid! If you have any computer science related modules done before it be a great help to you if not, any kind of basic computer knowledge would be of some benefit! Its not a course you can walk into willy nilly its not as easy as it sounds. Great on paper just a lot tougher than you'd expect when you would start the course! If you have an eye for design or creative might be of some use or if you are good at maths and english maybe or good at spatial relations might be of some use. Then again, people who have no experience of any of the above or comes from a different degree backround might do well in it. It depends what you are good at, and what your interests are and what you hope to achieve from it and where you want to go afterwards regarding jobs market!

I'd recommend it if you think it will compliment your degree and help in seeking employment. There are great jobs out there looking for multimedia programmers and web designers/programmers. Social online media is a bit thing at the moment. You need to be quiet good at it and high standards be required from your portfolio that you will have built up during the course. I wouldn't do the course if you think its just to have on your cv or you think might replace your degree! I would suggest to do a short course in multimedia with FAS or a fetac course before contemplating it, it give you an insight and taste for while might be involved in your course but what you do in the Masters will be a lot more advanced and not just something you can learn off the bat especially multimedia. Can be a bit of a fuzzy area in terms of job prospects but depends on what you really want to do and what you want out of the Masters. I would suggest a more standard or specific course if you have an eye on another course such as business, computer science etc. If you think the Interactive multimedia Masters is for you do it but think about it! Weigh up pros and cons of the course and compare it to other uni's and IT's to see which one of the multimedia masters suit you best. They are all different and offer different and similar modules.

Last year I was doing a h dip in computing and when looking at the Msc Interactive Multimedia it looked like the best multimedia masters on the market as there was such a variety of subjects but feel that could be either a good or bad thing, thing if its whittled down to less modules and studying them in more detail is better than just hitting the surface of the modules! Hope that helps.

Good luck!

PS will send another post of the modules I would think be useful
    Timetables you can check it online on UCC timetables and check the module/room timetables its usually in the WGB.

Hey, These are all the modules on the course:

Core Modules
    Full-time students are required to take 30 credits from the following core modules. Part-time students are required to take 3 of the following core modules in each year (15 credits), for a total of 6 separate modules over the two years (30 credits).

CS6100 Authoring (5 credits)
    CS6101 Digital Publishing and Hypermedia Systems (5 credits)
    CS6102 Graphics and Graphic Design (5 credits)
    CS6103 Audio and Sound Engineering (5 credits)
    CS6104 Digital Video Capture and Packaging (5 credits)
    CS6111 3D Graphics and Modelling (5 credits)
    Full-time and part-time students are required to take a project as follows:
    CS6200 Project (30 credits)

and

Full-time students are required to take 30 credits from the following elective modules.
    Part-time students are required to take 3 of the following elective modules in each year (15 credits), for a total of 6 separate modules over the two years (30 credits).

CS6105 Future and Emerging Interaction Technologies (5 credits)
    CS6110 Animation (5 credits)
    CS6112 Image Processing (5 credits)
    CS6113 Internet-based Applications (5 credits)
    CS6114 Digital Video Compression and Delivery (5 credits)
    CS6115 Human Computer Interaction (5 credits)
    CS6116 Mobile Multimedia (5 credits)
    CS6117 Audio Processing (5 credits)
    CS6118 Speech Processing (5 credits)
    CS6119 Interactive Visualisation (5 credits)
    CS6120 Intelligent Media Systems (5 credits)

The option modules I would choose from experience of doing three years of an interactive multimedia module:
    • Human Computer Interaction
    • Mobile Multimedia
    • Digital Video Compression and Delivery
    • Audio Processing
    • Internet Based Applications
    • Animation
    • Future and Emerging Interaction Technologies
    The links for the time table, course and module details itself. The time table only shows the times for the part timers will pm the actual times for full time students for you.

http://timetable.ucc.ie:8010/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=MSCIM1%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

http://timetable.ucc.ie:8010/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=MSCIM2%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/sefs/masters/interactive/

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/CS.html

Unable to pm it properly but will attach it here. Hope its of some use. Good luck OP and everyone else who decides to do the course in the future!

Snuggles can you give your opinion of the course.. do you recommend it, did you enjoy it, did you find it demanding etc? what degree course did you come from before it?

• Advertisement

sorry didnt realise you wrote the previous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brownemint

Tara23buy wrote: »
    Hey I know its few years on but Im looking to do this course in UCC ..Would you advise it? can you give me some info from your experience please

Hey, I did graduate from the course last year. As what snuggles was saying, the course is 50/50 design and programming. Don't worry about the programming if its unfamiliar territory. In the first semester it is covered in most of the modules from the ground up.

Don't take the list of modules that snuggles posted for granted either. You do cover the 6 core subjects, but in my year, we were only given a choice of 7 optional subjects (choose 6). We could only choose from:

CS6105 Future and Emerging Interaction Technologies (5 credits)
    CS6112 Image Processing (5 credits)
    CS6113 Internet-based Applications (5 credits)
    CS6114 Digital Video Compression and Delivery (5 credits)
    CS6115 Human Computer Interaction (5 credits)
    CS6116 Mobile Multimedia (5 credits)
    CS6117 Audio Processing (5 credits)

That was the first year the course moved to its new location (site of the old dog track if you are familiar with Cork) so the full range of optional subjects may now be offered.

The new building means you will have access to dedicated mac labs, recording studios, virtual reality studio, green rooms, video and music editing suites etc.

Unfortunately assignments are due weekly, but the lecturers all agree and stagger them throughout the year. The workload never really gets too bad. Most of the lecturers are sound enough to offer extensions if needed aswell.

All in all, I thought it was a good course. Definitely worth considering if its something you think would help supplement your undergrad or if you would like a change.

Thanks for your insight Brownemint.

I have heard modules have been dropped from a few people which is very disappointing.:(

Can I ask, what are you working at now? and is it as a result of studying Interactive Media?

Thanks for your insight Brownemint.

I have heard modules have been dropped from a few people which is very disappointing.:(

Can I ask, what are you working at now? and is it as a result of studying Interactive Media?

Well I am currently still looking for a job, but that's my own laziness rather than anything else. Alot of my class are now employed with companies such as Siemens, ESB, hostelworld and productworld.

Currently I am working on android applications though, which is an extension of the work I did for the masters. Looking to start publishing some on the android marketplace in the coming months.

Did you come from a BIS or computer Science background?
    I'm hoping if I do it there is a good variety of modules available?

So do a lot of MSc Interactive Media students go on to be programmers? As it stands I wouldn't be able for a programming job but perhaps after the course I would?

• Advertisement

Did you come from a BIS or computer Science background?
    I'm hoping if I do it there is a good variety of modules available?

So do a lot of MSc Interactive Media students go on to be programmers? As it stands I wouldn't be able for a programming job but perhaps after the course I would?

I came from an engineering background, but alot of the people from my year came from Arts degrees originally with only a module or two of computer experience behind them. The course does cover programming from the basics. Some people, would have had very little experience programming and now are doing it day to day for websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sianery

Hi, I've recently been interested in this course. I'm currently completing an Arts degree in psychology and sociology. Does anyone know if this would be a common background for entrants into IM?

I don't have any formal experience with computers apart from statistical software packages and some photoshop. Would I be at a disadvantage because of this?

And does anybody have any examples of the kind of work I could get into other than programming? For example, would advertising be a viable choice?

Thanks to any and all replies!

Can anyone who has done this course in UCC state what modules they chose and tell me a bit about the module pretty please?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

Does anyone know how the Interactive Media course in UCC compares to the one in UL?

I'll be starting IM in UL this coming September.

Just looking at the modules in the UCC course they look more interesting to me.

Rhonda, when I was looking into UCC or UL, I emailed lecturers and found the UL course is more design based and the UCC one is more technical.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Has anyone got any more feedback on this course? Do you have to be a good artist or anything or is that not essential? What kind of employment opportunities are there after this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanachiever1

I too would love to hear from anyone who has completed this course and can give feedback. I am coming from a graphic arts/fine-art background with lots of experience of photoshop and video work. Would the course be suitable for me? What are the job prospects like? What areas of work are graduates guided towards?
    Many thanks

Hi everyone, I know a few people have completed both courses in UL and UCC.

From what I know UCC is a lot more technical than the one in UL. But then again the technical and practical aspect and other things in the course in UCC is more balanced I think.

There is a lot more variety of subjects in UCC. You be completing aprox 12 subjects. Six modules you have to do I think and choices of what you want to do in the other six modules. Can't remember the exact details as they can change from year to year. Though there is one option subject in UL that might be a bit difficult unless you are coming from an IT/computer background.

I did multimedia in a couple of college courses I have done and no you don't necessary need to be a good artist to do multimedia. Its how you put your mind to it, creating it is simple if you keep it simple and not too abstract. Let your mind flow with creativity once its realistic and feasible to create. Its how you create it not just what you create.

Making it interactive and adding functionality not just having the design created in a good way pleasing to the eye but once its not OTT you could run away with the design let it turn out the way you don't want it to turn out so just be aware of that.

You might think its daunting at first but after a while it all come naturally to you. It can be time consuming but if you concentration on what you are trying to create, imagine in before hand if you put your mind to it you could create something better than what you imagined! You'll have all the graphic tools on the software to help you so a lot of what you will create will be how you use the tools available to you.

Its what you put you mind to and create something out of nothing that be an achievement so basically let your creative juices flow, what you create will come to you in time.

That's from my own experience of having done multimedia as a module in my college courses. Concentrate, work hard and do your best is all you can do! Try not to stress over it too much as your ideas can run away with you.

urbanachiever1, I would very much recommend the interactive multimedia masters. You are coming from a very good background with graphics and fine arts, it be no bother to you doing a multimedia masters.

Job prospects be quiet good in the web development, programming and design side of things especially for you with your background. I'll post a link of the employment statistics of the course.

http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=1&facultyID=9&courseID=5155&go=Go%21#s

http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=1&facultyID=9&courseID=1321&go=Go%21#s

Best of luck everyone who decides to complete the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanachiever1

Thanks Doovdela for your reply. Interesting to see those First destination reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Don't touch the Interactive Media course in UCC unless you can code.
    Speaking from experience, if you can code you might be ok, but if you can't, you haven't a hope. I had no experience coding, I came from an Arts course hoping to learn web dev. but that didn't happen. You essentially teach yourself, which is how learn anything anyway, but they aren't there to help.

You've 12 classes, with 6 core modules. I don't know if its changed in the last year, but despite what the brochure says and what they'll tell you, you don't really have any optional modules; they said you'd pick an additional 6 from 12 optionals, we got to pick 6 from 7 (the others weren't in demand supposedly). The tutors are hopeless, and their expertise, ie we had a HCI guy teaching web design (hopelessly clueless), a sound technician teaching us 3d modelling (from online tutorials he printed from a free website) and a Java expert teaching us Graphic Design (ie how to create Photoshop filters before we knew how to use Photoshop). We 'learned' a total of 10 different languages in that year: HTML,CSS, PHP,Javascript,Java, C-Sound, Actionscript, Python, Objective C. On top of learning Flash environment, Blender, Logic, Pro-tools and countless other packages. And that's just what I'm recalling off top of my head. There is more. But we didn't learn anything because the projects were so ridiculously complex that evryone would just copy and paste and add their own unique bit to make it seem different. You had to just to pass, but it's pointless and a waste of time learning wise. You've two assignments per subject and one/ two exams for each also. They then stretch that even further by having 'sections' per assignment, as in write a 2000 word essay and prepare a project how you'd action your suggestions. We had 36 individual assignments in all. We did them up until the week before the exams. There are 12 exams. There's hard work and there's that course. Anyone who knows anything about any of the above will tell you that it's impossible to learn any of those things in one week whilst working around other assignments. But that's what's expected.

The projects were an absolute joke and a half. They gave us a selection to pick from or you come up with your own. The selection was like stuff from the twilight zone! Create video editing software plugins, 3d medical imaging software. If you do their projects, they might show some interest. I didn't. My tutor was based in Germany from June onwards, so any evaluation of my work was done by email (2-3 days average response time). He didn't even know he was tutor until I emailed him.

So yeah UCC Interactive Media, bit of a joke really! The tutors are about as interactive as rocks. It's a cash cow for them, that's why they do it at all. Avoid unless your an expert on coding, and if you are why would you be considering this course? :confused:

• Advertisement

Token, Thanks for the heads up, I haven't done the course but have done multimedia modules in college so I understand what you mean to a certain extent. I know of a few people who have done the course in UCC and other colleges.

I was considering the course myself over MBS BIS but maybe need to think again!?

Was there a lot of coding involved so? 10 programming languages that's a lot. What were the other programming languages were there other than what ones you have mentioned? So you are saying not to do this course unless you are good at coding? Was there enough substance in the programming that you learnt?

For me I am good at most coding languages from what I have learnt so far from my college courses but I have one language I cannot get my head around which is Java. So I don't know that well enough I probably wouldn't be going anywhere with the Interactive Multimedia masters or a job in coding? Not that I want to go down the software development road by any means.

So was the course a bit all over the place then?

Would the course be ideal for someone pursuing employment in web design/development?

Would you think the job prospects be good from having done the course or those who have coding background steer clear of the course otherwise?

Thanks for the info on the course and how you felt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

doovdela wrote: »
    I was considering the course myself over MBS BIS but maybe need to think again!? .
    Yes, yes you should!!!
    Was there a lot of coding involved so? 10 programming languages that's a lot. What were the other programming languages were there other than what ones you have mentioned? So you are saying not to do this course unless you are good at coding? Was there enough substance in the programming that you learnt?

Well you need a grasp of what it is, how it works. We also did X3D. Google it. We had to!!! Essentially yea, if you're no good at programming, you're not going to succeed in this course. Well the assignments we did were mostly utter pointless rubbish. So when you say substance, if you mean would they be useful, then no. Unless you plan on being a web designing sound engineer who animates in his spare time.
    For me I am good at most coding languages from what I have learnt so far from my college courses but I have one language I cannot get my head around which is Java. So I don't know that well enough I probably wouldn't be going anywhere with the Interactive Multimedia masters or a job in coding?

No, Java is only a small part of this course. I'm saying that this course in particular won't teach you what you need. Maybe UL is different, there's a few courses in DCU, and one in Trinity (which I interviewed for and turned down a place in because she said C or C++ was a major part, if you can't do Java, Avoid!!!)
    So was the course a bit all over the place then?

A bit would be a gross understatement. An absolute mess would be too much credit. Try doing 36 different, and usually frustratingly difficult and pointless assignments in 24 or so weeks and you'll understand.
    Would the course be ideal for someone pursuing employment in web design/development?

I don't think so personally. The detail isn't there if you have some knowledge already, and if your new to this stuff, forget it! If I was you, I'd look further afield to more specific courses. You'd need to focus on PHP, SQL, CM systems, Rails, jQuery, etc, etc. We did some PHP, but we didn't touch Rails, jQuery. We didn't do popular CM systems at all (you could learn them yourself anyway) we built our own small scale CMS using a database we developed ourselves in phpAdmin and mySQL. TBH that was probably the most relevant assignment we did all year!!
    Would you think the job prospects be good from having done the course or those who have coding background steer clear of the course otherwise?

Don't do the course at all is my point really! Not unless they have really pulled their act together, and that's highly unlikely. Your job prospects aren't going to rocket having done this course. Some from my course are working in iPhone apps, web dev, but the majority would have had a coding background, and they probably could have got those jobs without this course. If it's web dev you want to do there are much better courses abroad, particularly in Nordic countries.

I had my doubts about the course in terms of job prospects and that there is too much in the course. Too many subjects only hitting the surface. I also thought that it was good that it had a variety of subjects but maybe its not such a good thing.

I think in UL there are similar subjects but not as many and focuses more on the design, creative and contemporary art side of things rather than it being too technical. I get the impression that UCC's Multimedia masters is a lot more technical than design related but a bit balanced or am I second guessing?

What I meant by substance did they teach you in great detail and be useful enough to use in the world of work?

So basically I be better off either learning other programming languages via self-learning or a different course.

I already have SQL, HTML, CSS, PHP, Java and Unix. Touched on a bit of VB and python, exposure to javascript, python and a little bit of perl but in little detail. Learnt SQL and the others in more detail in college. I haven't really done much javascript though and haven't done ajax. So basically look else where if I want touch up on programming. I've been looking into distance learning courses where I could brush up on my web programming and a learn a few more web programming languages, would you recommend that?

I understand the principles of programming some of them are similar as in dealing with arrays etc. While the programming procedure for java is hard the principles aren't too bad but find it can get a bit complex sometimes anytime I am trying to code java.

Thanks for the advice.

ok i personally think torch is being a bit dramatic! I'm not disputing its tough, theres too many subjects and some are irrelevant but your still learning!

theres so much in interactive media that they are trying to give you a taster for everything! no one is going to work in all areas but youl still have it for your cv

token... i did BIS and am now doing interactive media.. and web developm is the route i want to go down! ... I've heard the bis masters is all research in essays and no coding yet this year!

Hiya Tara, just wondering how would you compare the two between having completed BIS and completing the Interactive Multimedia Course? Has what you learnt in BIS balanced out with what you are learning in Interactive Multimedia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ok i personally think torch is being a bit dramatic! I'm not disputing its tough, theres too many subjects and some are irrelevant but your still learning!

theres so much in interactive media that they are trying to give you a taster for everything! no one is going to work in all areas but youl still have it for your cv

token... i did BIS and am now doing interactive media.. and web developm is the route i want to go down! ... I've heard the bis masters is all research in essays and no coding yet this year!

Hi,I'm currently in final year BIS and am considering the masters in Interactive Media for next year. In your opinion is it worth doing as a postgrad? Whilst I understand it would open up more potential work due to the range of stuff on offer, is there too much in the course that you aren't able to get a better grasp of each module and each area?

If you were only interested in a few of the modules, are the rest by themselves interesting enough to make it worth doing the course, or is it better to look at something more specialised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm am familiar with this course too. If you're a total coding novice, it is extremely tough going ... I know a few people who dropped out or nearly did.

It's just not possible to go from zero knowledge to churning out complex multimedia apps in 24 weeks. Even if you were a super genius it would not be doable as there is just too much to take in.

Coming from BIS undergrad you should be a lot more than a novice though. The people I know who struggled were from totally non computer science backgrounds.

A few people I know assumed it would be stronger on the creative and production side - it isn't !

It's focused on the raw computer science and coding aspects of the subject, which is probably what you'd expect, given its a "traditional" computer science department rather than a specialised media school.

If you do do it, go in with your eyes wide open. Talk to students on it already if possible. Go in and meet the staff etc etc

If you're a coder or a hobbyist game developer or already know your way around web development you'd love it. If you're coming from a content production angle, I'd say look at DCU or DIT or UK media courses more focused on creative content production.

If you want to go down the route of pure web development it might be better to do a specific web orientated program too. This masters is VERY broad!

I think this will produce project manager types or, perhaps be a taster that leads to further study if you find something in it that you 'd like to study as a PhD or further masters elsewhere.

It's a nice albeit very intense and cram-packed introductory Masters... Just be sure it's for you before signing up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashenno

I am currently studying the MSc Interactive Media and wouldn't highly recommend it.

There are good and bad aspects to this course. The good being that there is one lecturer in particular who is like the father of the course and really cares how everyone is doing and gives lots of extra classes and labs. If all the lecturers were like him then there may not be such a high dropout rate. For instance in my class, we started with 42 students and are now left with barely 20! The facilities are amazing, Access to 2 x iMac Labs, 1 x PC Lab, a Mac Pro Video and Audio Lab but extremely limited (no) access to a Virtual Reality Lab and Recording Studio. Never saw the inside of the Recording studio!

There is a HUGE amount of coding in this course and I would not recommend it to any beginners of coding/programming. Anyone with a coding background has thoroughly enjoyed this course because they are able to do it! Others have to spend many many hours in the labs trying to figure out the code and get nowhere!

At the beginning, I was really excited about this course as I was interested in Graphic Design and Web Design and thought this course would be perfect. But I was soon proven very wrong and quickly fell behind with the numerous projects.

I am now, very late in the year, regretfully dropping out like many others have before me. You need to really investigate this or any course before you do it and I maybe didn't research it enough but it is very badly advertised. You need to be a coder, preferably with a Computer Science or other coding-based course background for sure.

If you want to learn coding, you most certainly will but would suggest you do the course part-time over two years. This option will give you a fighting chance at keeping up with the accelerated pace assignments are doled out.

This course does not cater particularly for the creative designers out there as the coding once again takes over. I had hoped to be able to learn how to design UI's (user interfaces) but you kind of have to learn this yourself as it is asked for in the projects but never taught.

Sorry if this was a negative post, was just trying to be honest about my experience. I am sure that there are those who love this course and that are very well suited to this course but it is advertised as that anyone from any background can do this course. While that may be so, it is not suited to everyone and you should definitely go into UCC Computer Science Dept and talk to a member of staff or the director of the course or even a current student of the course.

Best of Luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashenno

titan18 wrote: »
    Hi,I'm currently in final year BIS and am considering the masters in Interactive Media for next year. In your opinion is it worth doing as a postgrad? Whilst I understand it would open up more potential work due to the range of stuff on offer, is there too much in the course that you aren't able to get a better grasp of each module and each area?

If you were only interested in a few of the modules, are the rest by themselves interesting enough to make it worth doing the course, or is it better to look at something more specialised?

Titan18,

I am also a BIS graduate and was in Tara23buy's class and am still in her Interactive Media class so I can answer some of your questions, but can get onto her to reply if you want a more positive response as I am currently deferring/dropping out.

I think BIS is a fabulous degree with regards to recognition and employment so there's no real pressure to do a postgrad but I personally felt I wasn't finished and so decided to do the MSc in Interactive Media this year. At the start I loved it but that soon changed with the introduction of coding. But If you're a BIS student who likes the coding, I would definitely say go for it! If otherwise, you'd really have to research the course before applying to see if you like the other aspects and wouldn't mind spending your time coding.

I personally am applying to do Graphic Design in Colaiste Stiofain Naofa, Cork instead as that is where my interest lies, Graphic Web Design.

Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

ashenno wrote: »
    I am currently studying the MSc Interactive Media and wouldn't highly recommend it.

There are good and bad aspects to this course. The good being that there is one lecturer in particular who is like the father of the course and really cares how everyone is doing and gives lots of extra classes and labs. If all the lecturers were like him then there may not be such a high dropout rate. For instance in my class, we started with 42 students and are now left with barely 20! The facilities are amazing, Access to 2 x iMac Labs, 1 x PC Lab, a Mac Pro Video and Audio Lab but extremely limited (no) access to a Virtual Reality Lab and Recording Studio. Never saw the inside of the Recording studio!

There is a HUGE amount of coding in this course and I would not recommend it to any beginners of coding/programming. Anyone with a coding background has thoroughly enjoyed this course because they are able to do it! Others have to spend many many hours in the labs trying to figure out the code and get nowhere!

At the beginning, I was really excited about this course as I was interested in Graphic Design and Web Design and thought this course would be perfect. But I was soon proven very wrong and quickly fell behind with the numerous projects.

I am now, very late in the year, regretfully dropping out like many others have before me. You need to really investigate this or any course before you do it and I maybe didn't research it enough but it is very badly advertised. You need to be a coder, preferably with a Computer Science or other coding-based course background for sure.

If you want to learn coding, you most certainly will but would suggest you do the course part-time over two years. This option will give you a fighting chance at keeping up with the accelerated pace assignments are doled out.

This course does not cater particularly for the creative designers out there as the coding once again takes over. I had hoped to be able to learn how to design UI's (user interfaces) but you kind of have to learn this yourself as it is asked for in the projects but never taught.

Sorry if this was a negative post, was just trying to be honest about my experience. I am sure that there are those who love this course and that are very well suited to this course but it is advertised as that anyone from any background can do this course. While that may be so, it is not suited to everyone and you should definitely go into UCC Computer Science Dept and talk to a member of staff or the director of the course or even a current student of the course.

Best of Luck!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the great, honest overview of the course. I appreciate you telling it how it is. You're one of many people who I have heard weren't happy with this course for various reasons. I was going to move back from Dublin to do it but have decided not to now. I have switched to the creative digital media course in DIT. Far more on the production/creative side which I am interested in, want to get into digital video production. Thanks again for your input.

Advertisement