Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced lunch?

Options
  • 13-09-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm looking for a good place to grab lunch in Dublin that's a good price, isn't total ****e and actually fills ya up! There used to be all kindsa places like this, but I don't think there are any more. I'm looking for something 15-20mins from the IFSC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hop on the luas and head over towards the O'Connell St./Jervis St area maybe? (I take it that Siam, Milano's, the Swedish Food Company and their ilk are not your cup of tea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oslo in Connolly Station

The carvery can't be beaten!
    And if you get known as a regular the chef gives you free deserts every day
    Great......but not good for your waistline :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

Sparks wrote: »
    Hop on the luas and head over towards the O'Connell St./Jervis St area maybe? (I take it that Siam, Milano's, the Swedish Food Company and their ilk are not your cup of tea)

No, not really. They're pricey and a bit ott for lunch, imo. I'm just looking for something simple that's, God forbid, good value in Dublin City!!
    mikemac wrote: »
    Oslo in Connolly Station

The carvery can't be beaten!
    And if you get known as a regular the chef gives you free deserts every day
    Great......but not good for your waistline :P

Hmm... sounds good. What's the prices like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

About 6 selections in the carvery, about 8.50 each. They hiked the prices at the beginning of the year.
    But maaaaaaaaasive portions.

And pretty much anything you want can be ordered. Want a salad or even a pasta dish, no probs as they'll do it for you.

Get a loyalty card, 8 meals and your 9th is free. Did I mention the free deserts? :P

Sounds like I'm pimping the place. Tbh, you don't get anything free until you're a regular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Nothing like a bit of subway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thedecline

Gotta agree with this, can't beat a sub for filling ya up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

thedecline wrote: »
    Gotta agree with this, can't beat a sub for filling ya up
    Yuck! Horrible crispy bread crap!

Go for the carvery in Connolly. The plain people of Ireland can't be wrong. As Jackie Healy Rae said, they're the people who have their dinner in the middle of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Stop getting it toasted

mikemac wrote: »
    About 6 selections in the carvery, about 8.50 each. They hiked the prices at the beginning of the year.
    But maaaaaaaaasive portions.

And pretty much anything you want can be ordered. Want a salad or even a pasta dish, no probs as they'll do it for you.

Get a loyalty card, 8 meals and your 9th is free. Did I mention the free deserts? :P

Sounds like I'm pimping the place. Tbh, you don't get anything free until you're a regular
    Thanks a bunch for the tip! I'll check it out. Sounds like a nice little place too! ;)

Davy wrote: »

Stop getting it toasted

Subway's nice. I had one earlier today. Yum! Only thing is that I'm looking to change it up, which is why I'm here! I love the way that "crispy bread crap" rolls off your tounge so smoothly, while still sounding like one of those quirky Ben and Jerry's flavours. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

MGSman123 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good place to grab lunch in Dublin that's a good price, isn't total ****e and actually fills ya up! There used to be all kindsa places like this, but I don't think there are any more. I'm looking for something 15-20mins from the IFSC.

Just posted on another thread about "China town" in Parnell Street, real Chinese/Korean food, great value & very different:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GreenPlastic

Soup Dragon on Capel St is awesome value. €3 will get you regular vege soup, with bread & a piece of fruit. They also have meat soups but theyre a bit more expensive. Every soup is made on-site that day and all come with bread and fruit. Really yum...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I like the Full House on Abbey St. All you can eat Chinese buffet.

The Bad Ass Cafe in Temple Bar does a great lunch deal if you're really hungry. For €9, you get two courses from a fairly large menu. Comparable to Eddie Rockets but half the price.

Finally, Milanos Pizza are doing all sorts of offers this year, this is the most recent one, 2 pizzas for €12: http://www.milanooffers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

you could head to the epicurian centre on middle abbey street, there are loads of good places to eat there and all for pretty cheap, i rather enjoy the mexican place myself.....

you could also bring your own lunch, the salad boxes from dunnes (with the separate tub for dressing) are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

well sold mikemac im hungry reading this oslo it is:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Pasodobel

Im gonna go to Oslo now for lunch I hope it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm just looking for something simple that's, God forbid, good value in Dublin City!!

Have you actually walked around looking at prices or are you just assuming that everything is overpriced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jimmy Chungs beside teh laughter lounge..all you can eat buffet and top-notch grub as well..it pisses all over Full House.

lightening wrote: »
    Have you actually walked around looking at prices or are you just assuming that everything is overpriced?

No, I genuinely have looked around and didn't find anything that I wouldn't have considered overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

No, I genuinely have looked around and didn't find anything that I wouldn't have considered overpriced.

You honestly think the China quarter and the epicurean food hall is overpriced? You have checked out all the blackboards around town, the pub carveries? All overpriced? Dublin is the cheapest in Ireland for lunch by the way, so don't move out whatever you do!!

Advertisement