Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRISBANE

Options
  • 13-09-2009 2:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Just arrived there yesterday, wow great city and great drinking last night:D, any other boardies in Brissy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

I am still here.

Had a great night last night myself. Went to watch the fireworks from the Plough Inn at South Bank and then went over to Kangaroo Point for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

It's nice to know there are some Irish here. I'm surrounded by Aussies 24/7. It's great living here with the weather and the lifestyle but sometimes the Aussies just don't have the same sense of humour. You feel like a fish out of water (or drink) sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

It's nice to know there are some Irish here. I'm surrounded by Aussies 24/7

What? In Australia?? lol

No I'm actually in Kyoto but it must be a popular destination for the Aussies :D

Once you're more than 15 minutes outside the city there isnt a Paddy to be seen in Brisbane (apart from from me, living in the Ballymun of Brisbane). That's unless you go further out to where they're all picking fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Stay away from Irish bars and you'll meet suprisingly few Irish...I have only ran into a handful after being around the whole country (although I havent been down to Bondi yet)

• Advertisement

Yeah I used to live pretty close to Bondi Junction. They don't call it County Bondi for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yep, I'm in Brisbane too. The YHA is definitely not the place to find wild parties. Weather's great though.

Is it wrong to be bored after 1 day in a hostel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Confab wrote: »
    Is it wrong to be bored after 1 day in a hostel?

Try going outside.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Try going outside.

This ain't AH, buddy. Of course I've been outside. Looks like Brisbane's no fun unless you're permanently drunk ;) Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely city with good restaurants , interesting architecture etc. Weather's great too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

wemt on the piss all day yesterday, some good pubs in the city but they were very quiet:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jethrog

I just arrived here a couple of weeks ago, enjoying it so far. Got my first surfing lesson out of the way yesterday! Heading to the Pig and Whistle for the football final tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dubois90

australia really seems **** from an irish context. im sure its great though if you ditch your compatriots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

yeah I live in Brisbane, its not that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yup, I live in BrisVegas

Been living in Aus for 1.5 years now. Never going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

ditto been her for 9 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Once you're more than 15 minutes outside the city there isnt a Paddy to be seen in Brisbane (apart from from me, living in the Ballymun of Brisbane). That's unless you go further out to where they're all picking fruit.
    I lived for 7 years in Byron Bay (on the proper side of the NSW/QLD border) and still have a house there. Originally lived in Bangalow which is further in through the hinterland.
    Never hung around Irish folk. Backslackers actually did my head in.

Brissie was handy for games at Lang Pk and the Gabba. Would go up to Gold Coast and do some shopping in Pac Fair from time to time but thats about as far as I went with Brisbane.
    Too many QLDers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

In Brisbane meself

here less than a week, got a job already :D

So much better than Sydney

woop

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

'Nother one for Brissy here.

Also here less than a week. Not got a job yet though. Looking for something officey and permanent like I had back home. Just set up on seek and SmartJobs (Government Job site) today.

Here about a month, looking maybe two weeks, not got any employer interviews yet, it's all recruitment agencies so far. I live in hope!

PS: Great storm today eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Confab wrote: »
    Here about a month, looking maybe two weeks, not got any employer interviews yet, it's all recruitment agencies so far. I live in hope!

PS: Great storm today eh?

Yeah been here in Aus the same time as yourself, no job yet despite appplying for about 9 diffrent Jobs:(.

• Advertisement

Yeah been here in Aus the same time as yourself, no job yet despite appplying for about 9 diffrent Jobs:(.

It's ironic, the job situation at home is getting better and we're limited here due to the perception of the WHV and being foreigners! Australian employers like to keep it Australian :( Opposite of the perceived Irish philosophy really. What worries me more is that jobs I'd normally get an interview for just aren't happening despite a good CV.

Oh yeah, and I've only enough spending money for another 4 weeks max at $60 per week.

Advertisement