Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone coverage and home broadband

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Have Smart for Broadband and Three for my mobile.

Thinking of moving to Vodafone for both.

Anyone any comments on Vodafones home broadband 7MB package.

Also interested in how Vodafone would compare for 3G and Data coverage on a mobile.

Particularly interested in Sligo town, and Sligo - Dublin train line.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With regards to the vodafone home package they bought out perlico so I imagine it will be that end of the business that will be dealing with the broadband. I've heard lots of bad things about perlico. Why would you move from smart. I know they are in examinership but that doesn't mean they're going under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I was reviewing my phone and broadband bills. When I compared my current bills with offers. Vodafone have a reduced cost broadband offering if you have your mobile with them. Their broadband and phone packages have bundled minutes which would reduce any extras on the bill. Three for example charge for all texts. My smart bill would reduce by about a tenner. And my mobile bill would reduce by a fiver a month. Also the roaming charges are better with vodafone for what I would want. So I would save 15 euro a month and should have a faster broadband and better phone coverage. It is bt vodafone have taken over. There is info about this on both sites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vodafone did buy BTs customer base but before that they bought out perlico.

One of the lads I work with gets decent enough vodafone coverage for 3g up around the retail park at carraroe. It's rare that I get it with 3 so vodafone may have better 3g coverage in Sligo than 3.

THanks AC

The 3 coverage around town is patchy to say the least. Another reason for changing.

Three default to vodafone when there is no three coverage, and I am always in coverage (except for data)

Anyone any experience on vodafone's speed in comparrison.

Three speed is usually very good, when you are in coverage and it works.

When 3 does fall back on to vodafone it doesn't use 3g, it only uses 2g. Don't know about speeds it's only rare he uses it. Both our phones have wifi on them so we just use that instead. I'll see if I can get my hands on a vodafone sim. If I can I'll use it in my phone and tether it to my laptop and take a speedtest or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I have been using Vodafone broadband for a year now and have not had any issues. They are keeping it seperate from Perlico (for good I hope). All I get is an email of my monthly bill in PDF format and never anything else. Download limit is meant to be 30 gig a month but I always go quite a bit over that and never charged.

On a side note, read somewhere that Eircom were being forced to reduce their "rental" rates for other broadband providers from about 5 Euro to about 70Cent.
    Bills may be cheaper if this happens as it will open up a bit more competition (I hope). It may be worth while staying put for a while before signing up to a new one year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

On a similar note, I'm thinking of getting the o2 student offer, Anyone on here not reccomend getting it or ahd problems with the o2 portable broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 quinnermint

On a similar note, I'm thinking of getting the o2 student offer, Anyone on here not reccomend getting it or ahd problems with the o2 portable broadband?
    Would also like to know about this esp for the train!!

Also looking at O2 for a 3G dongle.

Gave 30 days notice on my 3 3G Dongle account and they offered me a couple of months free to see if I would change my mind.

Three is good from Dublin to Mullingar on the Train and then gets very intermittant between stations.

Would not work for anything that requires a continuous connection but OK for syncing email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I switched on friday from Eircom to Vodafone, i normally hang up on cold callers but 35 a month from 55 cant be sniffed at. They are offering 40gb a month also but Eircom never got onto me before over over shooting the limit.

• Advertisement

What package / deal did yoo get to get down from 55 to 35

Would be interested in this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

its the 3MB BB and Talktime Deal inc evening calls to irish and uk landline numbers, also 300mins to 087 numbers. 35inc VAT

HI Benny

What is the quality like.

Advertisement