Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation Access - BIAS

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:14am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rumour has it, IBEC are to generate a report or study by a consultancy company which is supposed to 'show the way' or 'be the solution' to Ireland's Next Generation Access - NGA, problems.

The report, which has been seen and is heavily biased and not considering anything other than the monopoly view, is due to be 'sold' to industry at the IBEC Telecom and Internet Federation - TIF, conference on Monday the 21st of September.

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Has been seen by who? Got any references?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is Tommy McCabe looking for his €5bn again I bet , remember the last scamarama

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054890525

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Macros42 wrote: »

I've not seen it myself, but I hear it's an Analysys Mason report. More or less drawn up by eircom.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Macros42 wrote: »
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is Tommy McCabe looking for his €5bn again I bet , remember the last scamarama

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054890525

Yep - Similar effort, so I'm told. My sources say he's going to have an out and out revolt on his hands if it's pitched the way it is drafted at the moment (as mentioned, I've not seen it). Word on street is that Shane Ross and some other journo's are already being briefed by the very people who will end-up paying for it and who are most annoyed by its current state.

Don't know whether IOFFL are active at the moment, but this is one thing I think they should be clear on.

Duopoly deals won't work here, a dictated solution will be bound to fail and the main thing consumers and industry need is engagement not some form of 'gang-planking' and showboating in relation to the issue.

Tom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

PM me a copy/summary in confidence , even an executive summary would do . I get a whiff of Tommy proposing everyone else does forbearance on an eircom VDSL/NGN/Metro Ethernet class of rollout :(

Let me guess, it is the 'Danon plan' from late 2006 to supply VDSL in the 5 big cities ( again) but that eircom should earn an economic rate of return involving no wholesale version nor a finding of SMP for a period. UPC are presently about to launch 120mbits which makes this Danon plan kinda urgent .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Let me guess, it is the 'Danon plan' from late 2006 to supply VDSL in the 5 big cities ( again) but that eircom should earn an economic rate of return involving no wholesale version nor a finding of SMP for a period. UPC are presently about to launch 120mbits which makes this Danon plan kinda urgent .

The question is, will it just be VDSL2 jammed into the existing exchanges, allowing Eircom to claim "up to" 100mb/s, while the reality, most people even in the urban areas will end up getting less then 20mb/s or will it be a real FTTC network plus VDSL2?

And even if it is the latter, Comreg still shouldn't give an inch on wholesale or SMP. I mean what is Eircom going to do if they don't agree? No matter what Comreg decides to do Eircom have to rollout VDSL2+, if they don't Eircom are dead anyway.

Eircom are losing land lines at an increasingly alarming rate, they are already under massive pressure from 3G and UPC and everyone knows UPC isn't far off launching their 120mb/s (and perhaps more importantly cheap 25mb/s) products. Eircom have no choice but to roll out their NGN, they are just trying to frighten Comreg into giving them some nice bonus incentives to do what they are going to do anyway.

Advertisement