Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why ireland deserves lisbon

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Looking through the comments here i can see a majority of people are in favor of passing the lisbon treaty. What i can say is that ireland and the irish people deserve lisbon. They deserve all the reprecussions of what it will bring. Any country stupid enough to put blind faith in a group of people who rejected their own voting rights first time round and think that means a good thing for them in the future deserve all they get.

Im just going to vote yes to see the absolute hilariousness that will ensue a couple months to a year down the road when people who haven't actually examined and read the lisbon treaty in detail (the majority)(most of it unreadable by the way) realise what they have let themselves in for. I just can't wait to see their reactions when they realise the promises of neutrality etc going down the drain and they'll all be up in arms 'but u promised' lmao!!

Seriously vote yes...just for the laugh.:pac:

Like it says on the simplistic yes posters. IM SAFER IN EUROPE!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

realismpol wrote: »
    Looking through the comments here i can see a majority of people are in favor of passing the lisbon treaty. What i can say is that ireland and the irish people deserve lisbon. They deserve all the reprecussions of what it will bring. Any country stupid enough to put blind faith in a group of people who rejected their own voting rights first time round and think that means a good thing for them in the future deserve all they get.

Im just going to vote yes to see the absolute hilariousness that will ensue a couple months to a year down the road when people who haven't actually examined and read the lisbon treaty in detail (the majority)(most of it unreadable by the way) realise what they have let themselves in for. I just can't wait to see their reactions when they realise the promises of neutrality etc going down the drain and they'll all be up in arms 'but u promised' lmao!!

The only reason the majority of posters are on the Yes side, is probably due to the fact that most people with access to broadband and the web would be in a high earning household. The dart line areas of dublin and the fianna fail heart land was the only areas to pass it last time. I would expect the same again only it will probably be tighter.
    It's almost a carbon copy of the last ref, all the pre election polls show a yes vote. With establishment ireland pulling every dirty trick. Although having all the hotshots in favour is probably a disadvantage, seeing that they have been exposed as a bunch of incompetent, corrupt me feiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dare I say, that in a few years when nothing bad has come of our vote, I'll be laughing at the paranoid people who feared democracy would die and the EU would be calling the shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Lisbon Treaty isn't a vote to be in or out of Europe :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ah nothing like a fresh doze of scaremongering from the NO side on a sunday morning :D

what will it be this week?

* abortion?

* more tax?

* zombie "elites"?

* conscription?

* minimum wage?

* cows?

* apes?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The local elections had people claiming they were for jobs. Ganley himself was for leadership, job creation and anything else he could make up. There is an art to posters - it's PR. Done properly you get people thinking and talking about it and you even get people basing their votes on them. In a Lisbon context one Mr Ganley and Libertas have only themselves to blame for their very effective campaign the last time, which showed how easily a certain proportion of the populace can be swayed by snappy one-liners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Does the rest of the EU deserve it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bleg wrote: »
    Does the rest of the EU deserve it too?

I guess you're asking me. No they don't but that's reality inasmuch as the French like Le Pen and the Mussolini name still carries clout in Italy. Politics at the best of times is of no interest to the vast majority of the populace and even when it is the choices made are unfortunately based on simplistic perceptions.

is_that_so wrote: »
    , which showed how easily a certain proportion of the populace can be swayed by snappy one-liners.

he learned from the best

his friends in the ex Bush administration in US and whole bunch of admirals and officers that are directors in his company

its disturbing to see the same Neo Con tactics being used in Ireland, and worse people falling for them

/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Heard it all before, what EU takeover has Nice propagated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dob74 wrote: »
    The only reason the majority of posters are on the Yes side, is probably due to the fact that most people with access to broadband and the web would be in a high earning household. The dart line areas of dublin and the fianna fail heart land was the only areas to pass it last time. I would expect the same again only it will probably be tighter.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055615489

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

As far I can see, the most fundamental reason that people are voting No is because of fear. The outcome of the last referendum was determined by soundbites and slogans. Unfortunately its much easier to scare people with mythical claims (abortion/minimum wage/EU army etc) than it is to explain the benefits of a complex treaty. You make the claim that the yes posters are "simplistic" - "Good for Ireland, good for jobs!" is an airy-fairy and ambiguous claim to make alright, but its not possible to squeeze a reasonable explanation of the benefits onto a poster. The treaty IS readable, but its designed to be a watertight legal document, not a bullet-pointed list of slogans and soundbites.

And by the way, the claim that the EU "rejected their own voting rights first time round" is a complete lie. The EU accepted our decision first time around (the treaty hasn't been ratified yet, after all), they kindly attempted to deal with people's worries by issuing the legal guarantees. The decision to hold a second referendum was made by Ireland, not the EU.

What I'm getting is that the OP in this thread is showing a sense of doom that has no grounding in reality. The No campaigns for previous referenda always raised similar fears of doom, yet they never materialised and the countries that make up the EU have always benefited. OP, can you explain why things might be different this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dare I say, that in a few years when nothing bad has come of our vote, I'll be laughing at the paranoid people who feared democracy would die and the EU would be calling the shots?

You can do that now, though, since the No campaign consists almost entirely of people who have already said exactly that at previous referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

I just can't wait to see their reactions when they realise the promises of neutrality etc going down the drain and they'll all be up in arms 'but u promised' lmao!!

To be honest its kinda hypocritical for them to be advocating neutrality and yet still taking up arms in opposition;)
    But i can see where you're coming from. I think i'll vote no, unless someone can give me a good reason to vote yes.

Cordially,

Buster

To be honest its kinda hypocritical for them to be advocating neutrality and yet still taking up arms in opposition;)
    But i can see where you're coming from. I think i'll vote no, unless someone can give me a good reason to vote yes.

Cordially,

Buster

Then you could vote yes for greater control over our own government in Europe, and greater citizen control over EU legislation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Scofflaw wrote: »
    You can do that now, though, since the No campaign consists almost entirely of people who have already said exactly that at previous referendums.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And still wemarch towards greater centralisation of powers in Europe. Over time the no campaigners may well prove to be right!! The Nice referendum paved the way for the constitution which was rejected and now amended here. Or soit says on the Europa website. What's next in the grand scheme for Europe?

Are all the lawyers in Brussels going tostop work and gohome and say job well done lads? I don't think so. This is a process that isnow or soon will be on an uncontrolable path with nothing tofocusitsmind other than the assimilation ofmore power. Has that not been the history to date?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think i'll vote no, unless someone can give me a good reason to vote yes.

Cordially,

Buster

€50?

Germany 3.7%
    Ireland 3.7%

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

1. Climate change - Lisbon would make climate change a specific objective of the EU. Ireland can't fight it alone

2. Democracy - Lisbon makes the EU more democratic through giving national parliaments a role in drafting legislation for the first time, making Council minutes public and giving the European Parliament (elected by you and me) more power.

3. Green jobs - Lisbon promotes renewable energy, energy efficiency and interconnection. All of these are of vital importance to Ireland's future green economy because we need interconnection to export our energy, energy efficiency rules means jobs for builders retrofitting houses with insulation. And jobs for smart network enginners with the deployment of renewables, electric vehicles and smart meters.

3. Crime - Lisbon allows national police to cooperate in the fight against organised crime. 9 out of 10 Irish gangs operate in Europe and it is just far too easy for them to launder money in places like Spain.

4. Human trafficking and drug-smuggling - again, we give police the ability to cooperate against what is effectively modern-day slavery

5. Peace-keeping missions. Lisbon expands the Eu's role in peacekeeping missions. Right now we have Lt. Gen Pat Nash, an Irishman, leading European forces in protecting refugees in Chad. This work is so, so important in wartorn countries.

Need more?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rumour wrote: »
    Over time the no campaigners may well prove to be right!!
    A stopped watch is right twice a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

cornbb wrote: »
    As far I can see, the most fundamental reason that people are voting No is because of fear.

Seems that the reason people will vote yes this time is fear,what else could have changed their minds?

rumour wrote: »
    And still wemarch towards greater centralisation of powers in Europe. Over time the no campaigners may well prove to be right!! The Nice referendum paved the way for the constitution which was rejected and now amended here. Or soit says on the Europa website. What's next in the grand scheme for Europe?

Are all the lawyers in Brussels going tostop work and gohome and say job well done lads? I don't think so. This is a process that isnow or soon will be on an uncontrolable path with nothing tofocusitsmind other than the assimilation ofmore power. Has that not been the history to date?

Are we knee-deep in horse-shit, as Malthus predicted we would be by now?

There's no such thing as inevitable, or even a trajectory, in human affairs. Most people in Europe are OK with some degree of integration, but the number of people who would accept a federal Europe is very small (I don't know whether it's changing), and wouldn't include me or most Yes voters.

That means that integration can go so far and no further - and it's not getting easier to pass EU treaties (to refer to it as "uncontrollable" is ridiculous for largely that reason).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Seems that the reason people will vote yes this time is fear,what else could have changed their minds?

The realisation that most of the No "reasons" given last time were lies?

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A stopped watch is right twice a day.

Except the Coir one is stuck at 13 o'clock.

Tarobot wrote: »
    1. Climate change - Lisbon would make climate change a specific objective of the EU. Ireland can't fight it alone

2. Democracy - Lisbon makes the EU more democratic through giving national parliaments a role in drafting legislation for the first time, making Council minutes public and giving the European Parliament (elected by you and me) more power.

3. Green jobs - Lisbon promotes renewable energy, energy efficiency and interconnection. All of these are of vital importance to Ireland's future green economy because we need interconnection to export our energy, energy efficiency rules means jobs for builders retrofitting houses with insulation. And jobs for smart network enginners with the deployment of renewables, electric vehicles and smart meters.

3. Crime - Lisbon allows national police to cooperate in the fight against organised crime. 9 out of 10 Irish gangs operate in Europe and it is just far too easy for them to launder money in places like Spain.

4. Human trafficking and drug-smuggling - again, we give police the ability to cooperate against what is effectively modern-day slavery

5. Peace-keeping missions. Lisbon expands the Eu's role in peacekeeping missions. Right now we have Lt. Gen Pat Nash, an Irishman, leading European forces in protecting refugees in Chad. This work is so, so important in wartorn countries.

Need more?
    1. Climate change. Well if we are to get our econemy back on track then we will have to become a more polluting nation.

2. Democracy.How dare the yes side talk about Democracy when we had this vote already

3. Green jobs.Green jobs are inevitable in todays world,no union is needed to promote this,get real.

3. Crime.If national police forces cant deal with criminals now then i cant see any reasons how they can deal any better after Lisbon,scare tactic.

4. Human trafficking and drug-smuggling.Growing industries all over the world for decades,what does Lisbon do here that no other country or continent could solve?

5. Peace-keeping missions. Lisbon expands the Eu's role in peacekeeping missions. Right now we have Lt. Gen Pat Nash, an Irishman, leading European forces in protecting refugees in Chad. This work is so, so important in wartorn countries.Ireland will have the same participation IN these war torn countries with the UN,are you suggesting that we will get involved in other military matters?

Got anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

marco_polo wrote: »
    €50?

Germany 3.7%
    Ireland 3.7%

;)

Why doesn't this get on a poster, like the 17/18% Germany, Ireland 0.8% lie?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Got anything better?

I doubt there's much point tbh. I'd say if there was a free blowjob clause you'd find a way to dismiss it

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The realisation that most of the No "reasons" given last time were lies?

amused,
    Scofflaw

I was a libertas supporter,im not aware of any lies that they told.Libertas was the biggest advocate of a no vote in the last referendum and it was just other small inconsequential groups that the yes side refer when talking about lies.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'd say if there was a free blowjob clause you'd find a way to dismiss it

that wouldn't go down well with Coir

:D

I was a libertas supporter,im not aware of any lies that they told.

i tell ya, you gonna feel very foolish once you read this

how about the

"keep our commissioner" posters?

lets see now ...
    There is one Commissioner per member state, though Commissioners are bound to represent the interests of the EU as a whole rather than their home state.

whats that?! He aint "our" commissioner :eek:

oh dear! what a lie you fell for ....

/

I was a libertas supporter,im not aware of any lies that they told.Libertas was the biggest advocate of a no vote in the last referendum and it was just other small inconsequential groups that the yes side refer when talking about lies.

Not really. Libertas had the original "self-amending" lie, they had the false funding claim ("entirely donation-supported"), the "take away your three-year old" claim, the "Lisbon introduces abortion" claim that they had to retract during the campaign, they were the authors of the completely false claim about corporation tax rates. I could continue, but if you supported them, and believe they told no lies, then I'm wasting my time and annoying you. Personally, though, it's hard to think of a single thing they said that turned out to be true, up to and including Ganley's claim he wouldn't get involved in Lisbon 2 if he wasn't elected.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I doubt there's much point tbh. I'd say if there was a free blowjob clause you'd find a way to dismiss it

If it said there was a free blowjob.notice the fullstop then i would trust it,if it says free blowjob and has several paragraphs added to it then i would go home and play with myself

Advertisement